• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How much does lift / level affect MPG?

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Geek Stuff
Looking at getting m PB lifted or leveled when I get it. How much does this affect the MPG?
Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
Eng
I make a lot of interstate trips on I-10 for work. I made the same trip twice, once with the rear blocks removed for a level, and once with the rear blocks replaced and a 2" lift on the front. Weather was roughly the same (stupid hot), cruise control set at +9. The difference between being dropped and lifted for a level was 1.9 mpg penalty for the lift on the interstate. Around town the difference is pretty small, but on the interstate the aerodynamics add up. I image that going from raked to level with a lift would be even more of a penalty than I experienced.

OP
OP
ooSHAZAMoo

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek Stuff
I make a lot of interstate trips on I-10 for work. I made the same trip twice, once with the rear blocks removed for a level, and once with the rear blocks replaced and a 2" lift on the front. Weather was roughly the same (stupid hot), cruise control set at +9. The difference between being dropped and lifted for a level was 1.9 mpg penalty for the lift on the interstate. Around town the difference is pretty small, but on the interstate the aerodynamics add up. I image that going from raked to level with a lift would be even more of a penalty than I experienced.
And I am guessing bigger tires would factor even more into that equation right? I figured with it being a hybrid
I would not do exhaust but at least I could have it sit a little taller.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Eng
The extra weight of bigger tires are going to be a pretty big hit. There are some threads on the PB with E rated tires, and it is pretty hard to keep the truck in electric only mode, the ICE has to run most of the time you are moving. The electric motor is still helping and cutting the fuel usage, but it almost eliminates electric only mode.

OP
OP
ooSHAZAMoo

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek Stuff
The extra weight of bigger tires are going to be a pretty big hit. There are some threads on the PB with E rated tires, and it is pretty hard to keep the truck in electric only mode, the ICE has to run most of the time you are moving. The electric motor is still helping and cutting the fuel usage, but it almost eliminates electric only mode.
Yeh that may kill it for me. Have a link to any of the threads?

Sponsored

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
IMO level makes virtually no difference. I have 10k miles averaging 22.1 mpg and get 23-24 if I keep it under 75. My 2017 ecoboost had zero change after 2.25” level. Off road tires and/or heavier tires will definitely have an effect.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Eng
IMO level makes virtually no difference. I have 10k miles averaging 22.1 mpg and get 23-24 if I keep it under 75. My 2017 ecoboost had zero change after 2.25” level. Off road tires and/or heavier tires will definitely have an effect.
That is certainly what I was expecting. But I drove Houston to Baton Rouge on Sunday night, returned on Friday night. Put the level on Saturday morning, and made the same trip Sunday to Friday of the next week and the number are what they are, no opinion about it. I topped off at the same station leaving and returning on both trips and saw almost a 2mpg drop, and the Lie-O-Meter has gone from 20.1 to 18.5 lifetime since I put on the level. Still on stock tires.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
I was thinking that if you only lowered the rear of a powerboost truck by removing 4x4 blocks and/or Ford Performance lowering shackle kit to level out truck and left front suspension stock, the air dam under front would still be at same factory height, yet windshield angle would actually lay back a tiny % more that might even reduce drag a small amount. Can't imagine it would hurt mileage by just dropping rear to level attitude. Am I wrong?

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
That is certainly what I was expecting. But I drove Houston to Baton Rouge on Sunday night, returned on Friday night. Put the level on Saturday morning, and made the same trip Sunday to Friday of the next week and the number are what they are, no opinion about it. I topped off at the same station leaving and returning on both trips and saw almost a 2mpg drop, and the Lie-O-Meter has gone from 20.1 to 18.5 lifetime since I put on the level. Still on stock tires.
soooooo........maybe raising the front end causes enough clearance under airdam to road surface to make air tumble under truck and drag on underneith components of suspension, drivetrain, etc. Very interesting to hear your results with OEM wheels and tires. Thanks for info.

Sponsored

twoboosted

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Ecoboost 302A High
Occupation
Estimator
Did fox coilovers, 295/60 r20 Ridge grapplers but in 10 ply 10lbs lighter per tire than the 12ply. was at 19.8 before now around 17 is what I'm getting

biorchang

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Hi all. So I bought the Falcon Tow Haul 2.5 level suspension and had a shop put it on. They installed it at the "medium height" so I still have 2" rake. Took it out on the highway today and only got 16 mph. on the dash trip meter.

Honestly shocked. I was only expecting like 2 mpg. hit with my PB.

Anyone else have ideas? I am thinking maybe my air damn did not lower?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
This may be anecdotal but I'll offer this data point:

My 2017 RWD Ecoboost I averaged 24-25mpg on freeway doing about 70mph. I could "run up the scoreboard" on MPG if I took 55mph highways and get about 28mpg at that speed.

My 2021 4WD Powerboost I absolutely cannot come close to this. I get ~22mpg at 70mph. I can only get a best of roughly 25-26mpg at 55mph.

The difference? There is a weight difference but that basically doesn't matter when in motion at constant speed. The difference is that the 4x4 sits about 2" higher than a 4x2 on these F150's. I think that is making all the difference in wind resistance.

This isn't lifting/lowering/leveling effects, just a data point with the factory heights and rakes between the two trucks with same driver and same routes.

biorchang

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
So just zip-tied the GoPro onto the tow hook and confirmed the air damn is working...and this time computer reported 22.5 mpg. Will have to monitor this over time I guess...to see if my PB is possessed :)

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Dropped on mpg with just a level then about 2 with wheels and tires. The heavy tires are what you need to avoid to keep power and mpg!
Sponsored