• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How much does the FordPass Connect 4G WiFi hotspot service cost per month ?

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Has anyone used this? It's a tracker I use for my daughters car. It has the capability to have Hotspot but I didn't need Hotspot for her. This plugs into the odb port.

Ford F-150 Lightning How much does the FordPass Connect 4G WiFi hotspot service cost per month ? SmartSelect_20220811-171924_My Verizon
Sponsored

RidetheLightning

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max Energi,'22 F150L Plat 8/1 build date
works for what I need. Also, what happened to 5G? We only got 4G modem in this car? https://about.att.com/story/2021/ford-manufacturing-facility.html
Keep in mind that in 10 years you might either have to pay them $500 or whatever it is at that point inflation-adjusted to replace it with a 5G modem. Source: am a current C-Max Energi owner, and chose not to replace the modem so my mobile app can't connect to the car. 3G service went away and they want $500 to replace it with a 4G modem.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
I'm tempted to get the 12 months unlimited for $200 bucks. Verizon is spotty where i am and AT&T works for what I need. Also, what happened to 5G? We only got 4G modem in this car? https://about.att.com/story/2021/ford-manufacturing-facility.html
I am confused here. I don't have my truck quite yet. What does the Lightning come with in terms of connectivity? Is there free period? Once the free period is over what are the options? I didn't think there was an unlimited hot spot.

Icebear1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I am confused here. I don't have my truck quite yet. What does the Lightning come with in terms of connectivity? Is there free period? Once the free period is over what are the options? I didn't think there was an unlimited hot spot.
you get free 3 months of 3 Gigs total. so either you use up all 3 gigs in 1 day or stretch it to 3 months. You can buy more data for additional fee. link here https://myvehicle.att.com/lpportal-1/#/ford/learn?country=US&language=en

Sponsored

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Keep in mind that this discussion is about connectivity used for a Wi-Fi hotspot, not the connectivity used by Ford for OTA, etc.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, so what is used for OTA and the build in navigation? Is that a separate charge and can you connect that to a phone hot spot?

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
So if I have Hotspot and no Ford connectivity will I still be able to use the Ford app.?
Does the Hotspot stay on all the time?

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
OK, so what is used for OTA and the build in navigation? Is that a separate charge and can you connect that to a phone hot spot?
The hotspot is AT&T. It has NOTHING to do with any of the other vehicle functions, even if they use that modem.

No, you cannot use the modem to be a hotspot if you don't subscribe (or use the 3 months free).

There are other functions in the vehicle, including added navigation capabilities, that are subscription-based. For example, you get 30 days of Alexa streaming for podcasts and such. You get 3 years of connected maps. When that expires, if you don't pay up, you just get unconnected maps. "What does unconnected maps mean?" When the first person's subscription ends, we'll find out.

You also can't use your phone, as a hotspot, and connect anything in the vehicle (except other phones and tablets) to it. And you can't change the AT&T modem to a Verizon modem. Or switch SIM cards.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So if I have Hotspot and no Ford connectivity will I still be able to use the Ford app.?
Does the Hotspot stay on all the time?
No, if you turn off connectivity you can't communicate with the vehicle at all.

No, the hotspot is only on when the vehicle is running. Turn it off, open door, vehicle, and hotspot, power down.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
No, if you turn off connectivity you can't communicate with the vehicle at all.

No, the hotspot is only on when the vehicle is running. Turn it off, open door, vehicle, and hotspot, power down.

Well that settles it for me, I have to have the app communication at all times so it's Ford service for me. I wish there contract was with Verizon.I subscribe to drone mobile app for my alarm, it tracks the truck and remote start. I pay $120 per year forfit that. that so

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I just received my T Mobile hotspot that I'll put in the truck, just in case my iPhone's ATT signal is not great, or non-existent, at certain campgrounds. It's all of $8 per month. Go to T Mobile's website and find out, or check out ATT and Vz for their versions. It's just a little device, no worries.

The truck's included AT&T hotspot is simply Ford's way of giving you a device, for internet, for convenience. It may work fine for some, and not so great for others, depending on your signal and location.
Also, it has NOTHING to do with the truck's internal OTA updates and functions. That is built in to the truck and Ford takes care of that, although it is not some type of signal you can access.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well that settles it for me, I have to have the app communication at all times so it's Ford service for me. I wish there contract was with Verizon.I subscribe to drone mobile app for my alarm, it tracks the truck and remote start. I pay $120 per year forfit that. that so
There is no "Ford Service".

The Hotspot is used for that function, it has nothing to do with the vehicle's features, or using FordPass.

If you don't pay for the Hotspot, that is the only function you lose.

You will get 3 years of nearly every feature in the truck. Then, you will have to pay something, perhaps multiple things. How much is unknown.
Sponsored

Last edited: