• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to Keep Pro Power Onboard Power On For Long Period

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
After tailgating this weekend, I learned a couple things, you can hold the power button for a few seconds on the 15.5 screen to turn the middle screen off. It is unnatural to have the truck "On" in an environment with a bunch of people drinking. One tip on that if you have the workstation, fold the shifter down and then cover it all up with the folding worksurface. Get ready for MANY people to come over and ask, "Is that a lightning?" when you have your frunk open with your refrigerator.

BTW...PERFECT Tailgating Truck

Ford F-150 Lightning How to Keep Pro Power Onboard Power On For Long Period 8EE3B428-EA38-4E9B-B6FD-FD596B8A126D

Note: Puddle is caused if you leave the climate control on... another learning...
Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
No offence meant by my comment. I just meant to say software is incredibly important in vehicles moving forward and there only seems to be one company that understands this.
We’re good 👍. I agree…prior to getting my Lightning, my last new car was. 2018 Accord and I thought that car was heavily dependent on software….it barely wet my appetite compared to this one! You would think software development would have been “Job 1” from day 1……..?

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
We’re good 👍. I agree…prior to getting my Lightning, my last new car was. 2018 Accord and I thought that car was heavily dependent on software….it barely wet my appetite compared to this one! You would think software development would have been “Job 1” from day 1……..?
Agreed. Tesla has their build issues but when it comes to integration between your car and your smartphone, they do an amazing job. Hopefully ford follows suit.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
No offence meant by my comment. I just meant to say software is incredibly important in vehicles moving forward and there only seems to be one company that understands this.
As a non boomer, I wouldn't agree with this. I live and work in technology. I understand it's importance. With that said, there's a lot to a vehicle that a large majority of people will never need/want. It's clearly evident that it isn't the case with all of the vehicle sales going on with far less software options. Most people want an option to go to point a to b and don't care about a lot of the tech in the vehicles.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Agreed. Tesla has their build issues but when it comes to integration between your car and your smartphone, they do an amazing job. Hopefully ford follows suit.
Somewhat agreed. The Tesla app seems pretty good (I use it for solar, not for a car), but the lack of Android Auto / Apple Car play is a big fail for Tesla IMO. If you want to use your phone for navigation, you have to go "old school" and use a phone mount - while ignoring that nice big screen that place front and center.

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Somewhat agreed. The Tesla app seems pretty good (I use it for solar, not for a car), but the lack of Android Auto / Apple Car play is a big fail for Tesla IMO. If you want to use your phone for navigation, you have to go "old school" and use a phone mount - while ignoring that nice big screen that place front and center.
Totally agree. Carplay is great and should be an option to use on Tesla. I don't understand why they have a bunch of integrated music streamers on the tesla UI but leave out apple music?

I don't want to derail the topic at hand. Pro power could use some software enhancement. I'd like to turn it on and off with my phone while keeping everything else in the truck off!

Last edited:

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Totally agree. Carplay is great and should be an option to use on Tesla. I don't understand why they have a bunch of integrated music streamers on the tesla UI but leave out apple music?

I don't want to derail the topic at hand. Pro power could use some software enhancement. I'd like to turn it on and off with my phone while keeping everything else in the truck off!
Yes, just like the FordPass app currently allows you to turn on Zone Lighting…..
Ford F-150 Lightning How to Keep Pro Power Onboard Power On For Long Period C4CA03C6-D012-4D9E-A27E-EC94D172DDAC

colonel K

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-250 superduty
Occupation
retired
With my dog in the Lightning, usually I leave the truck running w/air on and lock the door. Today it was cool, so I cracked the windows about an inch, turned it off and locked the doors. Several times, the emergency horn sounded. Fortunately,I was still close and could turn it off with my Fob. Is this a preset in the lightning to alert any motion in the car? for example, to account for leaving a child inside?

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
@colonel K Yes, it seems so!

This past weekend I left the sliding rear window open and locked the truck. My wife threw small bag through the window, and the alarm went off.

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
I have looked everywhere I can think of, and cant't find an answer. This thread comes closest to answering this:
What is the "standby power" of Pro Power Onboard? Some might call it "parasitic power".

An experiment to answer this would be to turn on Pro Power, leave the truck "On" with no accessories running (Lights, HVAC, radio, main screen, etc) and let it sit for many hours (suggest 24). Record the battery percent at the beginning and end.

I saw somewhere someone said they thought it was 400W. I don't believe that (but I have been wrong before). 24 hours of 400W = 9.6kWhr = ~10% of SR = ~7% of ER

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

mitchskis

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Yeah, I don't think anyone ever figured this one out. @Ford Motor Company probably needs to create a "camping mode" or something similar that'll allow you to use the pro power on board system without having to have the truck on....still waiting.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
In all my times using ProPower Onboard for many, many hours, or even a Full OVERNIGHT while powering our camper, off grid, I see that having the truck 'ON' makes little difference, versus it being 'Off'... like any 12v-powered device you want the truck to power, the truck has to remain ON for that to happen, as in most any vehicle - it certainly stands to reason that the truck would need to be ON for it to have it's inverters provide 120v/240v ProPower output.

I do like the idea of an update to allow for being able to turn OFF the driver screen, which is the only part that annoys me, as the screen is so bright in the middle of the night - I cover it with a towel, in the meantime...

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
FYI, the Ford engineer says starting in 2024, the trucks will be able to keep the power outlets active even when the truck is not "on". I think this applies retroactively as well via OTA updates.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
FYI, the Ford engineer says starting in 2024, the trucks will be able to keep the power outlets active even when the truck is not "on". I think this applies retroactively as well via OTA updates.

This is great news. During power outage, I wouldn't want the truck on in my driveway next to a busy street.

I wonder if it still has the timer and I would have to wake up several times at night to keep the fridge going.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
The main reason the Ford software sucks is because Ford needs to have a much more Agile mindset and think of the software as something that is constantly improved based on user and customer feedback.

This will let them fix the things that people hate / complain about (Cameras switching with gear shift when positioning a trailer, "Full View Not Available") and add the little touches that make the vehicle more enjoyable and useful (Camping Mode, Dog Mode, etc)
Sponsored