• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

MAhauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Never miss a software update! (originally posted by @Ford Motor Company at F150gen14)
  1. Set a recurring schedule: For more complex software updates, your vehicle cannot be driven during the installation (typically up to 1 hour). We recommend setting a recurring schedule for a time when your vehicle is not needed (like overnight).
  2. Confirm you have Automatic Updates ON: Most software updates happen in the background while you are driving as long as you have automatic updates toggled ON. This setting is ON by default but we ask that you check your settings screen to confirm.
Both actions can be completed from the settings screen in your vehicle. Click here for step by step instructions.

MORE INFO ADDED BY @flip at Bronco6G.com

Depending on the update the vehicle requires, there are two installation processes:

Driveable Updates
  • Some updates can complete seamlessly in the background. They replace a part of software without impacting the rest of the system
  • SYNC 4 Technology is fully functional while the update is downloading
  • If the Automatic Updates are On, a message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen informing the driver of the update and if Wi-Fi is required
  • If Automatic Updates are Off, a message will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen asking the driver to confirm the update and if Wi‑Fi is required
  • The update will automatically complete in the background. If consent or a Wi‑Fi connection is required, an icon will appear in the touchscreen's upper status bar
  • When the vehicle is restarted, an "Update Successful" icon will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen. The customer can tap the notification icon to read details about the update or view details on the FordPass App or owner.ford.com
  • If the update fails or if Ford decides to revert to a previous software version, the system will go back to its previous version. Customers will be notified if the update fails, expires or is canceled in-vehicle
Non-driveable Updates
  • The majority of Ford Power-Up software updates will be considered non-driveable updates (parked with the ignition off). This means that the update will erase the system or module and replace it with the latest version of the software
  • The vehicle will not be driveable during this time and the update may take up to 45 minutes to complete. Any updates that may require the vehicle to be parked can be scheduled to take place when customers find it most convenient
  • When a recurring schedule is set, customers will receive an in-vehicle reminder notification at first key cycle within 24 hours of the update. The vehicle will display another notification two minutes before the update begins
  • Scheduling is required to ensure that the updates occur at a convenient time when the customer chooses and when the vehicle is not in use
    • If the vehicle is in use, the system will not update and will automatically postpone to the next scheduled time. Customers will receive a notification that the update was unsuccessful
    • If the vehicle is not in use, a “Preparing Updates” message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen and a two-minute countdown will begin. Customers will be prompted to exit the vehicle and lock it, as it will be disarmed during the updates
    • Preconditions may be required for certain updates. If the preconditions are not met, the customer will be notified and the update will not complete
  • When the vehicle is restarted, an "Update Successful" icon will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen. The customer can tap the notification icon to read details about the updates
  • Customers can also check the status of an update in their FordPass App or on owner.ford.com

Manual Update System Details
Non-driveable Updates

NOTE:
If Automatic Updates are Off, updates are not installed automatically and require the customer to review and approve each update. The vehicle may require important Ford Power-Up software updates, therefore, this method is not recommended.
  • When a new update is available, the customer will see an icon on the in-vehicle touchscreen status bar. To review the update, tap the icon for details to proceed
  • Once the update is reviewed, a notification will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen with information about how long the installation will take. After that, an "Update Ready Install" icon is accessible on the status bar
  • The driver can tap "Update" on the in-vehicle touchscreen to begin installation
  • If the vehicle is not in use, a “Preparing Updates” message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen and a two-minute countdown will begin. Customers will be prompted to exit the vehicle and lock it, as it will be disarmed during non-driveable updates
  • Preconditions may be required for certain updates. If the preconditions are not met, the customer will be notified and the update will not complete
  • If the updates were completed successfully, an "Update Successful" icon will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen when the vehicle is restarted. The customer can click the notification icon to read details about the update
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Will updates wipe any customer settings?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Never miss a software update! (originally posted by @Ford Motor Company at F150gen14)
  1. Set a recurring schedule: For more complex software updates, your vehicle cannot be driven during the installation (typically up to 1 hour). We recommend setting a recurring schedule for a time when your vehicle is not needed (like overnight).
  2. Confirm you have Automatic Updates ON: Most software updates happen in the background while you are driving as long as you have automatic updates toggled ON. This setting is ON by default but we ask that you check your settings screen to confirm.
Both actions can be completed from the settings screen in your vehicle. Click here for step by step instructions.
Personally, I turned automatic updates off. The automatic updates work fine if you are in an area with great ATT connectivity. But if you are not, when an update hits, you have a chance of a failed update. By having the automatic update turned off, you get to decide when an update occurs.

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
I dont have a automatic update slider on my lightning that I picked up yesterday. My power up version is 3.1. How can I get this fixed?

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Past 2 weeks I have been trying to get updates to 3.4.
I really want to try out the new 1PD that comes with the 3.4 update.

I am currently at 3.2 - last update was 8/8.

How do I get the 3.4 update ?

Tried manually and automatically.

I have been parking overnight with my home WiFi connected.
Parking brakes on.
Not charging.
Schedule set for overnight update - every day.

Tried to change schedule times but no dice.

Should I connect a 12V charger onto the LVB to help it along ?

What else can I do ?

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning

Parking brakes on.
Not charging.

What else can I do ?
I got my update buttons to show up but I still have not had an update and I'm stuck on 3.1

Reactions: GDN

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Parking brakes on.
Not charging.

What else can I do ?
Your LVB is constantly recharged by the HVB. If it's not, it's not working right. Therefore, no charger is needed.

Connecting WiFi won't help things.

DRIVING seems to help per Mach-E owner experiences. If it sits, it may not update. If you start it and drive (or not drive but start it), that MAY prompt for an update.

As noted, schedules only impact the application of non-drivable updates.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Your LVB is constantly recharged by the HVB. If it's not, it's not working right. Therefore, no charger is needed.

DRIVING seems to help per Mach-E owner experiences. If it sits, it may not update. If you start it and drive (or not drive but start it), that MAY prompt for an update.

I think there is something to your point about driving and getting the updates. My truck was parked/WiFi-connected for about a week after the v3.4 Update rolled out…nothing happened.

I drove it for a day…parked it at my first stop and it offered me the opportunity to install the update. I was going to be parked for an hour, so I accepted it….the update was completed by the time I got back to the truck.

That’s how I really noticed the difference in how the regen performance changed. I’m glad I had been reading this forum….I was ready for it…and, probably avoided a rear end collision…😁

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

Thanks, I'll try and drive more and watch for the icon to update.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
The same thing for me. It didn't offer updates until I drove. I received 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 on successive days after taking a drive. 3.4 was out at the time, but my truck didn't get it for about 4 days after that.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Rick - I would agree it seems as though the 12v should always be charged, but the guys in the ICE forums have had a heck of a time with updates if their batteries aren't at the top of the charge scale and I do know if their motor isn't spinning there is no charging.. I'll note though I've never heard contractors close or anything specific for the Lightning 12v charging. Is it that quiet? Are we confident the 12v is maintaining a really good charge level? I have no reason to think it is not, just trying to understand Ford's roll out strategy. I also have 3.1, but nothing since.

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
The same thing for me. It didn't offer updates until I drove. I received 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 on successive days after taking a drive. 3.4 was out at the time, but my truck didn't get it for about 4 days after that.
I was hoping that driving would help but I drive my truck every day. Still waiting on updates.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Rick - I would agree it seems as though the 12v should always be charged, but the guys in the ICE forums have had a heck of a time with updates if their batteries aren't at the top of the charge scale and I do know if their motor isn't spinning there is no charging.. I'll note though I've never heard contractors close or anything specific for the Lightning 12v charging. Is it that quiet? Are we confident the 12v is maintaining a really good charge level? I have no reason to think it is not, just trying to understand Ford's roll out strategy. I also have 3.1, but nothing since.
If the LVB wasn't getting charged, you'd get a warning. There is nothing you're going to hear.

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
I’m in the same boat with long delays receiving OTA updates. When I got the truck 3 weeks ago…the first night it updated to 3.2….Nothing since then. I’ve driven it, parked it, connected to WiFi, auto updates are set and scheduled daily. I’ve met all the requirements as far as I can see, but no further updates. I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything super vital, just curious why it’s not updating @Ford Motor Company?
Sponsored