• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to prevent mobile charger from being stolen?

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
While I wait for my Pro Charger to arrive, I had a nema 14-50 installed outside and i am using the mobile charger.

but it doesn’t seem like the connector locks at all, and anyone could easily be attracted by the lights and come take it.

Anyone have thoughts on how to secure this or at least make it a bit more difficult?
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This is why Tesla locks it in place. Ford continues to skip the little things.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
Ford doesn't lock the charger at the charging port when you lock the vehicle? Or let you turn off the charging light? Even Rivian figured that much out...

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
If you install an RV style outdoor 14-50 box, they have a cover that folds down and allows you to padlock the plug on. That’s what I am doing

OP
OP
LightningMcqueen

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
If you install an RV style outdoor 14-50 box, they have a cover that folds down and allows you to padlock the plug on. That’s what I am doing
I have that, but mobile charger has interchangeable plug so it can be unplugged easily at charge and leave that part.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Does the travel chargers have a small lock shackle area ?

I saw lots of them when I was in France - they have chargers on the sidewalks where EV cars can charge. They all had small padlocks near the release button to prevent disconnection or a steel cable was secured to prevent theft.

Ford F-150 Lightning How to prevent mobile charger from being stolen? main-qimg-936d7db181d1e317c567dcb4b77340be-lq

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
If you don't have that plastic cover on the outlet, a piece of plumber's tape over the plug and screwed to the sides would hold it in place and be a deterrent. But check out the electric aisle at a department store and I bet there are a couple of different kind of options. You could even put an electrical panel type box around it and then lock that.

It just needs a deterrent to be effective. So consider what you need for peace-of-mind and then spend an appropriate amount to provide that peace-of-mind.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
you'd be best off to add a security measure to the OUTLET end, not something at the truck... a simple 'bike cable' might do.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Our Chevy volt and bolt did not lock at the car. The volvos do. We are primarily charging in our garage and don't need the locking function. In fact with the 2016 phev the locking function is quite obnoxious. Whether locked or unlocked, it does not matter the cable gets locked and can not be released until the car is again unlocked. It will relock after about 30 seconds. The 2022 EV will lock if the car is locked or unlocked, but if unlocked you can press a button next to the charging handle to release. This behavior is completely acceptable. We generally leave the cars unlocked in the garage, but the xc90 requires a cycling the locks to unplug and (first world problems) I have to walk passed the plug to get to the door to cycle the locks, then go back and unplug. One thing that I did with the volt when needing to charge in public with the non locking charge port was to weave the cable in the back door and out the front, then plug in. This locked the cable to the car. It was a work around, but it worked.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
In the Mach-E you can put the charger in the frunk and close it only until the first latch catches. This is only really useful for L1 charging since it requires an extension cord.
Ford should really lock the connector when the vehicle is locked….maybe a future software update?

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
you'd be best off to add a security measure to the OUTLET end, not something at the truck... a simple 'bike cable' might do.
The Ford Mobile Charger has interchangeable cordsets, similar to Tesla's. You can secure the plug, but the EVSE can be separated from the cordset.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Not a fan of locking the charger to the car. Often times I switch chargers from one car to next, I have 6 EV's, and it is annoying to have it 'stick'. My I3 in particular is a real pain as it will lock at the slightest provocation so have hunt for who has the I3 keys in my house than unlock and switch. Or I have to leave the I3 unlocked which is a worse idea. Much rather the car remain locked and the EVSE can be unplugged. This is why I'm a big fan of buying cheap $200 type EVSE that you don't mind getting stolen.

BTW In ~ 20 years of driving EV's never had my EVSE stolen. People just a re afraid of electricity for good reasons. Most potential thieves don't know that the circuit de-energizes if you unplug.
Sponsored