• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I got a ticket because the charge port is in the front and I parked head-in.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
What I don't know is if they're going to enforce the back-in rule regardless of whether I was charging at all.
Assume they'll enforce it since the law is due to safety (and not ease as someone else posted). If it was dark and rainy that's even more reason to not back out onto a street so that factor would tend to work against your argument. The picture someone else posted indicates the charger could be used with your parking within the rules so that's less than helpful, too. The reviewers will also know that the cable could have been crossed over your vehicle--not unlike fueling at gas stations.

So unfortunately your situation is almost certainly going to be deemed a convenience issue and not one where you were required to break the parking laws (the usual threshold they'd want to see before dismissing the ticket).
Sponsored

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Assume they'll enforce it since the law is due to safety (and not ease as someone else posted). If it was dark and rainy that's even more reason to not back out onto a street so that factor would tend to work against your argument. The picture someone else posted indicates the charger could be used with your parking within the rules so that's less than helpful, too. The reviewers will also know that the cable could have been crossed over your vehicle--not unlike fueling at gas stations.

So unfortunately your situation is almost certainly going to be deemed a convenience issue and not one where you were required to break the parking laws (the usual threshold they'd want to see before dismissing the ticket).
You may be right, but for what it's worth, every non-Tesla that I've seen parking in that area parks head first rather than pulling the cable from the adjoining space.

In my case, I'll just avoid their chargers completely because I don't want to run the plug over the whole truck from the other side and scratch the paint on my doors.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Parking in big cities is always interesting. In Toronto, it does not matter what the sign says and how well you display the evidence that you have paid for parking; If you have an American tag, chances are you are not going to fight the ticket. Easy tourist money for the city.

Or invest in a J1772 extension cord. It will pay for itself in a couple of tickets.
Just bought one. It opens up all kinds of possibilities. You can get around ICEd charging stations and tight parking spots for charging especially if you are towing and those unsuspecting relatives can no longer say sorry my dryer plug is too far

If it's indeed a trap and not simply that he didn't realize an F-150 can be electric, I won't fall for it again.
If the ticket was on driver side of the windshield, there is no way he did not notice the charging cable. Even if it was not, he had to come in from the front and hard not to see the cable. May be he just wanted to make sure to give a tree hugger what he deserves (not meant to make this political, just saying it may have been that way for that one individual officer).

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
If the ticket was on driver side of the windshield, there is no way he did not notice the charging cable. Even if it was not, he had to come in from the front and hard not to see the cable. May be he just wanted to make sure to give a tree hugger what he deserves (not meant to make this political, just saying it may have been that way for that one individual officer).
As a rule of thumb, just about every car I've ever seen parked there was parked head in, so if they are intentionally ticketing cars, they'll have an endless supply of unsuspecting drivers to ticket each day. Other than staff who have their own parking lot, most of the people using those spots are visiting somebody in the hospital, so they get a fresh batch of unsuspecting vehicles to ticket each day.

Lesson learned. I won't park there unless they change the rule.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Gotta love NYC.

I wish we had police resources to ticket the idiots we have here in the west coast.

Many times have seen ICE vehicles parked in EA, ChargePoint, EVGo spots and no one will ticket them.

Even at a city or county property, the police are way overwhelmed and not going to stop for a parking ticket where shootings, robberies, assault and major vehicle accidents seems to be the norm.

Sponsored
OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Gotta love NYC.

I wish we had police resources to ticket the idiots we have here in the west coast.

Many times have seen ICE vehicles parked in EA, ChargePoint, EVGo spots and no one will ticket them.

Even at a city or county property, the police are way overwhelmed and not going to stop for a parking ticket where shootings, robberies, assault and major vehicle accidents seems to be the norm.
NYC figured out the best way to do this without straining their resources.

In NYC, parking violations are actually handled by an independent force that are technically not full police. Their only job is basically parking violations. They used to wear brown uniforms so you could tell them from regular cops, but eventually they got rid of the brown uniform because it got zero respect from the public and even marked them as targets for hate and violent attacks.

So, this unfortunate group of officers spend their entire day driving around giving tickets for parking tickets, expired registrations and inspection stickers, etc..

Unlike the NYPD which has at least some respect from the public because of their duties fighting crime, the Traffic Cops are the Rodney Dangerfield of cops, and get no respect at all.

Priccijr

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Iced Blue
I got a ticket once from the NY traffic police. I had a rented car in Rhode Island and they must have written the plate wrong on the ticket. I received a letter in the mail from the rental company saying they were going to charge me for the ticket. I had to show the traffic police a picture of the car parked in my driveway on the day they said I was in NY before they squashed the ticket.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I got a ticket once from the NY traffic police. I had a rented car in Rhode Island and they must have written the plate wrong on the ticket. I received a letter in the mail from the rental company saying they were going to charge me for the ticket. I had to show the traffic police a picture of the car parked in my driveway on the day they said I was in NY before they squashed the ticket.
The odd thing about is that they no longer rely on the plates because they're easy to mix up when the officer mixes up digits or doesn't notice its in another state.

Now, they use the VIN number which they can get by reading a barcode on the registration sticker or the factory tag on the top of the dashboard.

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
I just called the precinct. Basically they don't handle traffic tickets, so he said to take photos and present my evidence by going to a website on the back of the ticket. I'm not going to bother taking photos, but I'll present my case in writing and see what happens.

What a pain in the neck.
It is worth taking photos. The submission of appeal on the website is the same as if you went to court. For efficiency NYC has gone to digital appeals which are reviewed by quasi administrative judges.

I have had three violations overturned using this method. Not for your violation but for other similar non moving violations,

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Parking in big cities is always interesting. In Toronto, it does not matter what the sign says and how well you display the evidence that you have paid for parking; If you have an American tag, chances are you are not going to fight the ticket. Easy tourist money for the city.
If you have a US tag, why would you bother paying Canadian ticket?

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
As a rule of thumb, just about every car I've ever seen parked there was parked head in, so if they are intentionally ticketing cars, they'll have an endless supply of unsuspecting drivers to ticket each day. Other than staff who have their own parking lot, most of the people using those spots are visiting somebody in the hospital, so they get a fresh batch of unsuspecting vehicles to ticket each day.

Lesson learned. I won't park there unless they change the rule.
My 2012 Nissan Leaf also has front charge ports (L2 and Chademo).
One has to wonder why is this back-in only when so many EV's have front ports?
Who besides TESLA put then in the back?
At all the free L2 charging in my area (Walgreens etc) everyone pulls front in, of course it is private property, not public charging on the street.

I suppose they think backing out of the spot is dangerous and that is justification for the sign?
Go figure.

Ordinary people pay for every petty little crime so the rich and powerful don't have to pay for the any of the really big stuff it seems.
The legal system is pretty lopsided.
I am a 71 year old attorney and electrical engineer by the way.

I once got a ticket at an airport for backing up about 100 yards (no accident) from the rental car pickup area to get closer to where my girlfriend and our bags were, rather than having to leave the airport and circle back to pick her up which would have taken at least 20 minutes with all the traffic (Orlando Fl airport).

No, I didn't fly all the way back to Orlando to contest the ticket, although it was pretty steep for the time (over $100 in 1987) I just paid it and wrote it off as another example of highway robbery.

Some traffic court judges are reasonable and will actually listen to your case, some not so much.

In Fairfax County VA where I live they fund the police etc. through traffic fines among other things. It is an assembly line of cases and there is little point trying to contest a ticket.

The local police used to claim they didn't have quotas, but then the smoking gun memo was found. I got a ticket for turning left when the left turn arrow was green for me (not yellow, not red) at the end of one month (quota time) so I got a web cam in case that ever happened again so I would have proof. When it is my/your word vs the police officer, I/you will lose without other evidence. That officer was later fired years later for writing bogus tickets after an internal investigation. The scariest part was he drew his 9mm on me as he approached my truck and he smelled of alcohol. OMG if I weren't white I could easily have been shot. Most of our police are decent honest young men and women, but there are a few really bad ones everywhere.

I'd suggest you submit a picture showing your truck's charging port is on the front at least.

Good luck!

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
My 2012 Nissan Leaf also has front charge ports (L2 and Chademo).
One has to wonder why is this back-in only when so many EV's have front ports?
Who besides TESLA put then in the back?
At all the free L2 charging in my area (Walgreens etc) everyone pulls front in, of course it is private property, not public charging on the street.

I suppose they think backing out of the spot is dangerous and that is justification for the sign?
Go figure.

I'd suggest you submit a picture showing your truck's charging port is on the front at least.

Good luck!
I don't think I've ever seen another car with the charger in the back except for Tesla.

I'm not sure if they'll actually care that the port is in the front even if I sent a photo, so I'm just hoping they simply make some sort of exception in the future for EV charging. If not, I'll simply avoid that spot... it's super expensive compared to their other parking options.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I don't think I've ever seen another car with the charger in the back except for Tesla.
VW and Hyundai group charging ports are on the passenger side. (n) I have to say that Tesla makes the most sense to me in a left-hand drive vehicle. You get out and face the charging port. Why have it ahead of the driver where you have to get around the door?

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
VW and Hyundai group charging ports are on the passenger side. (n) I have to say that Tesla makes the most sense to me in a left-hand drive vehicle. You get out and face the charging port. Why have it ahead of the driver where you have to get around the door?
The front vs back debate is going to heat up after Tesla opens up their SuperCharger network to non-Teslas because their cords are short, so there literally won't be a way to pull in and use any charge port on the drivers side without using the charger from the adjoining space.
Sponsored