• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I got a ticket because the charge port is in the front and I parked head-in.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
My 2012 Nissan Leaf also has front charge ports (L2 and Chademo).
One has to wonder why is this back-in only when so many EV's have front ports?
Who besides TESLA put then in the back?
At all the free L2 charging in my area (Walgreens etc) everyone pulls front in, of course it is private property, not public charging on the street.

I suppose they think backing out of the spot is dangerous and that is justification for the sign?
Go figure.

Ordinary people pay for every petty little crime so the rich and powerful don't have to pay for the any of the really big stuff it seems.
The legal system is pretty lopsided.
I am a 71 year old attorney and electrical engineer by the way.

I once got a ticket at an airport for backing up about 100 yards (no accident) from the rental car pickup area to get closer to where my girlfriend and our bags were, rather than having to leave the airport and circle back to pick her up which would have taken at least 20 minutes with all the traffic (Orlando Fl airport).

No, I didn't fly all the way back to Orlando to contest the ticket, although it was pretty steep for the time (over $100 in 1987) I just paid it and wrote it off as another example of highway robbery.

Some traffic court judges are reasonable and will actually listen to your case, some not so much.

In Fairfax County VA where I live they fund the police etc. through traffic fines among other things. It is an assembly line of cases and there is little point trying to contest a ticket.

The local police used to claim they didn't have quotas, but then the smoking gun memo was found. I got a ticket for turning left when the left turn arrow was green for me (not yellow, not red) at the end of one month (quota time) so I got a web cam in case that ever happened again so I would have proof. When it is my/your word vs the police officer, I/you will lose without other evidence. That officer was later fired years later for writing bogus tickets after an internal investigation. The scariest part was he drew his 9mm on me as he approached my truck and he smelled of alcohol. OMG if I weren't white I could easily have been shot. Most of our police are decent honest young men and women, but there are a few really bad ones everywhere.

I'd suggest you submit a picture showing your truck's charging port is on the front at least.

Good luck!
Sounds like the Richmond Highway corridor of Fairfax County.

Nonetheless, I have found Prince William County Police (which is a neighboring jurisdiction in Northern Virginia) to be very professional in their dealings with the public.
Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
VW and Hyundai group charging ports are on the passenger side. (n) I have to say that Tesla makes the most sense to me in a left-hand drive vehicle. You get out and face the charging port. Why have it ahead of the driver where you have to get around the door?
Hyundai Kona is on the front of the car slightly on drivers side.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
While VW's are on the passenger side they're in the same place in the rear as their ICE vehicles. So perhaps drivers coming from their ICE platform might find the location an easy transition but it was awkward getting into EA charge slots correctly when we had our ID4. The eGolf was in the same place but back in those days there wasn't a whole lot of reason to DCFC and the earlier models didn't even have the option so it was less of an issue.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Hyundai Kona is on the front of the car slightly on drivers side.
I forgot about Kona and Niro and was thinking only about the E-GMP models. Up front and center would be an excellent location for easy pull-in charging, except for places where water can freeze. It seems like that could be problematic.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
You have to remember that some of these EVs were designed for the European market first, where it is not uncommon for streetside charging, which would put it on the passenger side.

The wife's Kia EV6 is at the rear of the passenger side.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Huh? This is not Florida law - it is municipal law within Florida - you are referencing state licensing exams and parking regulations at the state level. I referenced parking rules that generally apply IN FLORIDA. In most places in Florida where there is paid municipal parking, because there is no front plate, there is a requirement, with signage indicating such, that you MUST park head-in. Many Florida municipalities, For Miami to Jacksonville to Pensacola, now have cruiser-mounted scanners that read license plates and verify app payments for parking, which are timed to the minute. This is not about revenue, it is about legal parking procedure. The most frequent type of parking ticket in Florida is nonpayment of parking fees. The second most frequent parking ticket is for head-in parking. In Palm Beach, Delray Beach and Boynton Beach it is THE most frequent parking ticket, exceeding nonpayment tickets. I got the local cops to make an exception for me at the Boynton Beach beachfront parking lot when parking my Tesla because the EV charging cords would not reach to the back of my MX, similar but opposite to OP's problem. They are the ones who told me about the local stats for parking tickets. They hate those tickets because it requires exiting their patrol cars and manually recording the license information to issue the ticket, while the over-stay or nonpayment tickets are issued automatically through the mail. They gave me a card to put in my windshield indicating "back-in parking due to charging".

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
It took a while, but I just got a response. NOT GUILTY BOTH TICKETS!

First... for not parking head in.

Ford F-150 Lightning I got a ticket because the charge port is in the front and I parked head-in. 1679149968071

Second, for not displaying a parking meter ticket in the window (it was supposed to be part of the price of the charging).
Ford F-150 Lightning I got a ticket because the charge port is in the front and I parked head-in. 1679150118072

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Nice to see that there are rational bureaucrats out there still able to right wrongs.

Last edited:

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
It took a while, but I just got a response. NOT GUILTY BOTH TICKETS!

First... for not parking head in.

1679149968071.png

Second, for not displaying a parking meter ticket in the window (it was supposed to be part of the price of the charging).
1679150118072.png
Hell yeah, chalk one up for the little guy!!!
Ford F-150 Lightning I got a ticket because the charge port is in the front and I parked head-in. 0798B039-16B0-4B4F-94BA-F8BECFB6A78A

Sponsored

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
Hopefully someone will market an extension J1772 cord soon.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Hopefully someone will market an extension J1772 cord soon.
You can buy J1772 extentions right now. Usually only good for up to 40 amps, but they are available. And expensive.

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
You can buy J1772 extentions right now. Usually only good for up to 40 amps, but they are available. And expensive.
The problem is at the Level 3 chargers. That is where the longer cord is needed.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
The problem is at the Level 3 chargers. That is where the longer cord is needed.
Especially when those super short Tesla SuperChargers start rolling out.
Sponsored