• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I had to know - will it be worth the money

skattch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Last week I went to my local dealer to check out F150s in general. I had a Platinum Lightning in production (now built) and as I had not driven an F150 ever, I thought before I spend that kind of money, I should at least look at one of these trucks.

Luckily, Walnut Creek (CA) Ford, had a Lariat Lightning demo model. All I can say is WOW! I cannot wait for mine to be delivered.

Impulse control issues be damned I am keeping this thing!
Sponsored

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
For a while I was struggling with giving up my e-tron for the lightning. Like you, I went and test drove my dealer's lariat ER and was instantly sold within the first 5 minutes of the drive. It's everything great about driving a full-size pickup and an EV all at once.

OP
OP
skattch

skattch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
For a while I was struggling with giving up my e-tron for the lightning. Like you, I went and test drove my dealer's lariat ER and was instantly sold within the first 5 minutes of the drive. It's everything great about driving a full-size pickup and an EV all at once.
I agree. It took me no longer than 5 minutes to make up my mind too.

My wife asked me this morning if I was sure I wanted to buy a vehicle so early in its production. I reminded her that I have had my current truck, a Chevy Avalanche, for 18 years and it is the original model year.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I agree. It took me no longer than 5 minutes to make up my mind too.

My wife asked me this morning if I was sure I wanted to buy a vehicle so early in its production. I reminded her that I have had my current truck, a Chevy Avalanche, for 18 years and it is the original model year.
At least you were able to test drive a Lightning.

Before mine came in, there were no demos and if there was one, the dealership didn't allow any test drives.

I got mine sight unseen, never test driven, most expensive vehicle in my lifetime ($80K) and fingers crossed being a test mule...

So far loving it - just get reminded how pricey each month !

BTW: I do have a Silverado GM EV WT (Avalanche look) on reservation - hoping for the $40K price tag...

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I reminded her that I have had my current truck, a Chevy Avalanche, for 18 years and it is the original model year.
I always regretted not getting the Avalanche and want that midgate in Silverado bad. Was it as useful as it looks during your ownership? or you forgot about it and never used it?

Do you have a Silverado reservation too?

Sponsored
OP
OP
skattch

skattch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I always regretted not getting the Avalanche and want that midgate in Silverado bad. Was it as useful as it looks during your ownership? or you forgot about it and never used it?

A friend once described the original Avalanche as the 'Swiss Army Knife of trucks' and I have found that to be the case. Mine is one of the original models with the plastic side panels and I always loved them.

I first bought it to haul my dual-sport motorcycle. I drove down countless dirt tracks with branches scraping along the outside and it never bothered me. If I had a typical truck I would never have done that because of the endless scrapes down the painted panels.

Other than that, my next favorite feature was how I could drop the back seat down, pull out the rear window and within 5 minutes I had a long-bed truck.

Add in the locked side storage and it has always been a great truck.

But no, I did not order the Silverado. This is about as much self indulgence as I can justify even to myself.

OP
OP
skattch

skattch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I felt the same way after I took a test drive. The only thing I think which would move me to a different vehicle, in addition to the Lightning, is when I just want to take a smaller car.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired

I'll help Maxx with this one. I have a 5/21 reservation and have been waiting patiently for my chance to order to replace my 2012 Avalanche...., which I love. I use the midgate often. I am a woodworker and often am bringing home 8x4 plywood on rainy days. Yesterday I bought some 12ft long deck boards which, thanks to the midgate, only extended 2 feet past the end of my tailgate. I wish I could wait for the Silverado but with mine at 110k miles it's time to replace and since I didn't reserver one i'd likely be waiting 3 years for one.

OP
OP
skattch

skattch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I'll help Maxx with this one. I have a 5/21 reservation and have been waiting patiently for my chance to order to replace my 2012 Avalanche...., which I love. I use the midgate often. I am a woodworker and often am bringing home 8x4 plywood on rainy days. Yesterday I bought some 12ft long deck boards which, thanks to the midgate, only extended 2 feet past the end of my tailgate. I wish I could wait for the Silverado but with mine at 110k miles it's time to replace and since I didn't reserver one i'd likely be waiting 3 years for one.
All these years and I did not know it was called a midgate. Looks like I learned just in time.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is very helpful. I hope you get to order soon. I have a very early Silverado reservation but not willing to pay for high trims. If I can get the midgate with 300+ mile range at $70K or bellow, I may trade in my Lightning (if I ever get one at expected price). Silverado may be slightly riskier since it is a ground up design. If the early reviews are not great and my Pro treats me right however, I may stay put until EV truck dust settles before I switch. If Lightning size end up being too much of a pain, I will go for something more manageable. Although I have driven larger trucks, I have never owned one this size for my day to day personal use.

Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
paraphrasing " If I can get a Silverado with the midgate and 300+ mile range at $70K or below".... I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. 2 years from now with 6-8% inflation on each year.. time will tell.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
If Lightning size end up being too much of a pain, I will go for something more manageable. Although I have driven larger trucks, I have never owned one this size for my day to day personal use.
I agree. I really don't want that much truck either. In a few years Ford or others may build an extended cab or regular cab EV truck. Both with the 6.5 bed like the ICE. The reg cab has about the same wheelbase as the Mustang Mach e I think.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
I thought I was obvious by saying I would likely be driving a Lightening at the time they come up with the pricing and trim information. In other words, I will not be holding my breath either. I put in a bunch of reservations (CT, F150, Silverado, Rivian) for that specific reason. Holding your breath for any of them after reveal is not a wise thing to do. None has been smooth sailing so far. It is the nature of the beast. Hence eggs in multiple baskets. However despite Hummer and RST First Edition pricing, I wouldn't consider it impossible for a reasonable trim from the company that is selling Bolt at current prices. It is all matter of how they make their trim decisions. I don't care about glass roof, rear wheel steering, air suspension and a lot of other features that are a must have for some. I just want the mid-gate, 10+ KW power and 300+ mile range. If they put those in a lower price package, I am in, if not, I will be fine. Frankly, the idea of getting upset because I can't give $70K of my money to a company is a bit ridiculous. It is all good, no matter what the future brings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skattch

skattch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning

I would say I used the mid-gate about 2-3 times a year but like many features of a good truck, when you need it, nothing else works.

One of the great features of the mid-gate is you don't have to drive a long-bed all year for the few times you need that extended carrying capability. I expect I will miss that with the Lightning.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I felt the same way after I took a test drive. The only thing I think which would move me to a different vehicle, in addition to the Lightning, is when I just want to take a smaller car.

I can't wait for Ford to make the Explorer EV and I think it will sell really well as long as they don't go too wild with the styling. Just keep it simple Ford. I don't know why automakers insist on radical designs and platforms....
Sponsored