• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I just noticed a new feature on my Lariat order

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Apparently my Lightning comes with...lightning!

Also, the sound system is on the Exterior of the truck. EVs are a brave new world! ?

Ford F-150 Lightning I just noticed a new feature on my Lariat order 51960842054_ff8ffeddd5_c
Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
My Tesla has a "sound system" on the outside of the car, because of government regulation. While traveling at low speeds, they need to make a spaceship noise to alert pedestrians you are coming. The external speakers on a Tesla aren't great, but the Lightning will be required to have something comparable. Even though I don't use it a ton, I occasionally listen to music on the Tesla external speakers, I hope the Lightning has this feature as well.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Interesting. I don’t think my Bolt has external speakers. If it does they are extremely quiet, the car sounds totally silent at low speed.

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
My Tesla has a "sound system" on the outside of the car, because of government regulation. While traveling at low speeds, they need to make a spaceship noise to alert pedestrians you are coming. The external speakers on a Tesla aren't great, but the Lightning will be required to have something comparable. Even though I don't use it a ton, I occasionally listen to music on the Tesla external speakers, I hope the Lightning has this feature as well.
I'm so happy my Model 3 is too old to have these ;) Missed it by a month.

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Interesting. I don’t think my Bolt has external speakers. If it does they are extremely quiet, the car sounds totally silent at low speed.
This regulation has been a requirement since 2019 when 50% of new EVs needed a warning system for pedestrians. Then in 2020 it became 100%. It would seem that every Lightning made will have some sort of external speaker.

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
You will get it by an over the air update as a free enhancement to your car to make up for anything that has been eliminated ;)
Physically doesn't have the speaker before I believe Sep 2019. On the flip side we can't make it do fart noises.

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
its called boombox on the tesla and ive used it a lot more than i gave it credit for when the "gimmic" was announced.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
This regulation has been a requirement since 2019 when 50% of new EVs needed a warning system for pedestrians. Then in 2020 it became 100%. It would seem that every Lightning made will have some sort of external speaker.
that makes sense, my Bolt is a 2019.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I don't care if it makes noise so long as it isn't so loud that it is obtrusive inside. Are they going to make super quiet ice cars make any noise?

Sponsored

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
I don't care if it makes noise so long as it isn't so loud that it is obtrusive inside. Are they going to make super quiet ice cars make any noise?
Our ID.4 is LOUD. I know it has to annoy the neighbors, but its silent inside. I imagine the Lightning will be quieter internally and externally. The ID.4 is ridiculously loud (thread on it by others).

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I've driven a Taycan, it was pretty loud, too. Especially in sport mode. I haven't heard the ID.4, though. None of the driving videos of the Lightning have had a noticeable external sound but they may have it turned off in pre-production vehicles.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Our ID.4 is LOUD. I know it has to annoy the neighbors, but its silent inside. I imagine the Lightning will be quieter internally and externally. The ID.4 is ridiculously loud (thread on it by others).
Our Volvo xc40 EV is not very loud. There is a sound, but you don't hear it on the inside. Though to be honest when starting in our garage the parking sensors are usually losing their sh;t as we back out.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
It will probably be the same as the Powerboost and mach-e. And it's an annoying fake engine noise. Annoying enough that there are mods to remove it.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I'd rather some sound rather than someone walk in front of me in a parking lot. I know it's their fault as long as I'm driving appropriately, but still, don't want the trouble. Our 21 Powerboost has a low hum when in electric only mode. It's not too obnoxious at all.
Sponsored