• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Improve trailer-towing range with trailer-mounted batteries

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Here's an example of one approach: a company adding batteries to camping trailers.
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...st-charges-evs-with-75-kwh-of-extra-batteries

Teardrop camper trailer fast-charges EVs with 75 kwh of extra batteries
Ford F-150 Lightning Improve trailer-towing range with trailer-mounted batteries avatar-image-for-bengt_100544847_s

BENGT HALVORSON AUGUST 15, 2021

Camper manufacturer Colorado Teardrops this last week revealed a small-footprint teardrop-style camping trailer that’s configured to get over the hurdle of dramatically lower range while towing with an electric vehicle—by carrying extra batteries to recharge the EV along the way.

The model, called Boulder, packs a generous 75 kwh of batteries in its lower frame area—within a few kwh of the usable capacity of the growing group of compact electric crossovers rated for towing, including the Volkswagen ID.4, Tesla Model Y, or Volvo XC40 Recharge.

Once charged up, with a CCS-format DC fast-charger, the setup will be able to deliver DC fast-charging output at up to 60 kw, or potentially a boost of 100 miles of range in 10 minutes, the company claims. And to clarify, this is at rest stops; the trailer can't charge the vehicle while in motion.

Ford F-150 Lightning Improve trailer-towing range with trailer-mounted batteries o-teardrops-boulder-ev-camping-trailer_100802496_l
Colorado Teardrops Boulder EV camping trailer

In short, you might need to stop and charge twice as often, but you’ll still make it to all the usual charging stops—where you might potentially need to charge up two “devices.”

That’s a different, simpler philosophy than the E.Home Caravan electric trailer revealed last month by the German travel-trailer and EV maker Dethleffs, which with auto-tech supplier ZF engineered a trailer that provides its own electric propulsion, too—essentially allowing towing while maintaining the original range or possibly even extending it.

The advantages of the Boulder aren’t limited to recharging the towing EV, though. The 12-volt DC and 120-volt AC power takeoff capability that’s potentially included with the setup is a solution for off-grid camping and other uses—maybe even home backup in a future application.

Including the battery pack, the trailer’s dry weight is listed at just 1,950 pounds, with a tongue weight of 185 pounds. It notes that the setup is built around a suspension capable of 3,500 pounds.

Ford F-150 Lightning Improve trailer-towing range with trailer-mounted batteries o-teardrops-boulder-ev-camping-trailer_100802498_l

Aerodynamically shaped “teardrop” travel trailers such as this have otherwise long been a favorite of occasional campers for decades, because they can be towed with a smaller vehicle without making a huge dent in range and efficiency.

The company claims that with that, it will restore EV ranges back to what they would have been pre-towing—or better—and because of that it’s likely to be used more often.

Colorado Teardrops says that the Boulder will park in a home garage, and yet the hard-shell cabin is large enough for a family of four, including a queen-size mattress plus bunk beds, a dining area with couches, a hot-water shower, and interior climate controls. There’s also a fold-out exterior kitchen galley, and the company is working on a coordinated inductive cooktop to avoid combustion—a plus for camping in fire-prone regions.

Prices range from $45,000 to $54,000, depending on the options, with first deliveries targeted for August 2022.
Ford F-150 Lightning Improve trailer-towing range with trailer-mounted batteries o-teardrops-boulder-ev-camping-trailer_100802501_m

Ford F-150 Lightning Improve trailer-towing range with trailer-mounted batteries o-teardrops-boulder-ev-camping-trailer_100802500_m

Ford F-150 Lightning Improve trailer-towing range with trailer-mounted batteries o-teardrops-boulder-ev-camping-trailer_100802499_m

This isn’t a new idea, however past companies that have claimed to commercialize it haven’t delivered more than a handful of such units. This time, however, an established camping-trailer company is taking up the task. Colorado Teardrops told Green Car Reports that it’s aware there may be some regulatory work to be done so that the EV market can keep evolving. “We are committed to serving the electric vehicle industry and really excited to be a part of its growth,” said spokesperson Joshua Robinson.

Although giants like Airstream are pursuing electric travel trailers, there’s nothing widely available or mass-produced like this today, either. For personal use and non-commercial applications, Robinson said that it isn’t aware of any state or federal rules that might get in the way of the product, and it will follow UL, DOT, and SAE rules and regulations.

Ford F-150 Lightning Improve trailer-towing range with trailer-mounted batteries s-charging-hub-for-commercial-vehicles_100802503_l
Xos charging hub for commercial vehicles

Those commercial applications are coming, too—fast. This past week the electric commercial vehicle startup Xos Trucks revealed Xos Hub—essentially a semi-truck trailer full of batteries and what’s needed for fast-charging. The Xos Hub can plug into existing infrastructure without permits, that company says, and charge up to five trucks at once.

In these products and more, there’s a growing awareness that mobile charging solutions may be what helps EVs click for some households or companies. Carrying around huge batteries for unnecessarily long driving range year-round doesn’t make much sense—just as driving a vehicle with extra jerry cans full of fuel year-round wouldn’t. But expanding that capability for special occasions—maybe with rentals of solutions such as this—is essential to convince more people they don’t need to keep the gasoline vehicle around as a tow rig.
Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
It’s no bigger than a tent ⛺.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I can’t see a family of 4 sleeping in that. My pop-up is bigger and 4 almost seems too many. Maybe a family of 2. Or you can save the cash and take a tent. Or buy a used truck when prices come down. Can you imagine the disposal fee when it comes time to change out the batteries?

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
At that price for a coffin on wheels it will never sell. The more I read articles about EV the less I am interested. A local paper reporter drove a mach e 250 miles to his cabin. Left his home fully charged and had to stop for two hours to recharge 90 minutes later after driving at 80mph, that got him to 80%, drove another two hours and had to charge again then on to his cabin. Since he didn't have the $2k charging system he had to drop the car at a very slow charge station in town and ride his bike home, returned 6 hours later and was ready to follow the same recharge steps when headed home. For a daily commuter they are fine but when you want to leave town what a hassle, towing forget it maybe 60 miles on a full charge.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
At that price for a coffin on wheels it will never sell. The more I read articles about EV the less I am interested. A local paper reporter drove a mach e 250 miles to his cabin. Left his home fully charged and had to stop for two hours to recharge 90 minutes later after driving at 80mph, that got him to 80%, drove another two hours and had to charge again then on to his cabin. Since he didn't have the $2k charging system he had to drop the car at a very slow charge station in town and ride his bike home, returned 6 hours later and was ready to follow the same recharge steps when headed home. For a daily commuter they are fine but when you want to leave town what a hassle, towing forget it maybe 60 miles on a full charge.
I own a Mach E and this is not my experience traveling at all. On a recent trip from TN to MD (575 miles) I only had to make 2 stops and arrived with 30% battery remaining. I drove the speed limit, 70/75. The car comes with a charger that will plug into 110 or a 50amp outlet. I was able to use a 50amp outlet and get a full charge over night, because I planned ahead and had one installed at the townhouse we own there. With an EV, planning is the key to success. If you jump in and use your ICE as a bench mark, you will fail.

Speed will kill an EV. 80mph for extended distances is not really the best way to drive one if you're looking for range. Sounds like your local reporter just did not know what to expect from an EV.

Towing will certainly have an impact on range, maybe as much as 50% less. I don't know, can't tow with the Mach E and far as I know From has not said what the hit for towing with the Lightning will be

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Definitely not my Mach E experience. Right after getting it we drove from MD to FL and back. I charged about once every 150-200 miles -- once per state. Going down we charged once each in VA, NC, SC, and GA, twice in FL. Coming back we charged twice in FL and SC, and once each in NC and VA. Over 1000 miles each way.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Sounds like you found a reporter/article to fulfill your confirmation bias about EVs. What you're describing doesn't represent reality unless the reporter was a very poor planner or was in a rural area of WY/MT/SD.

I just drove 720 miles from WI to TN and had no problems. Charging added around 2.5 hours to my 15 hour trip.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
It’s no bigger than a tent ⛺.
That's the point. It's a step above tent camping, but still "roughing it." They're not for those who prefer a giant Airstream or similar.

This polygonal design is similar to what's typical today. I like a more classic teardrop shape myself. But I wouldn't mind the addition of a battery to get more range once I get my Lightning. If it was offered, I'd buy a prefab trailer frame with integral battery and then build a 1950's-style teardrop on top of it.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
For a daily commuter they are fine but when you want to leave town what a hassle, towing forget it maybe 60 miles on a full charge.
More a reflection of the uneven distribution of fast DC charging stations. In Pacific NW, they are common so my 800 miles runs to SLC, 350 mile runs to Whistler BC and my 100 mile runs to coast and back are well covered with chargers as are my daily commutes one of which is 110 round trip.

The F150 with 300 miles range should get my 5k# boat to the coast on a single full charge. If it looks dicey, I have chargers midway I can use and at the destination two Electrify America fast charging stations, one 4 miles away, another 40 miles away on the ride home.

So in the Pacific NW, the F150EV should work fine.

People need to look at their current driving patterns and then scout out the chargers they would be using on road trips to see if works for them. Each case will be unique.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
People need to look at their current driving patterns and then scout out the chargers they would be using on road trips to see if works for them. Each case will be unique.
Nobody will ever buy an ev because it won't drive this one route that I like to drive once every 5 years.

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2015 SuperCab FX4, 2.7L Ecoboost
Occupation
Climate Aware Livin Coach
With an EV, planning is the key to success. If you jump in and use your ICE as a bench mark, you will fail.
Well said TRP. This is the crux of it. There is so much anti-EV news and sentiment out there that this simple truth is lost.

The other thing most EV resistant ICE drivers don’t realize that a typical EV owner with home charging capabilities only requires “on the road charging” less than 10% of the time, whenever their planned daily travel distance exceeds their vehicle’s full battery range.

When I go on a long trip, I plan. Doesn’t everyone? Where and when to recharge is just one more thing to plan. I go months with only charging at home. No planning needed! Just think how much time, additional cost, stress, and planning I would have spent fueling an ICE vehicle? I hardly ever look at gas prices anymore. I have completely eliminated my “Need to Plan to Buy Gasoline Again” anxiety!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It would sure be nice if threads that are inactive for 6 months would auto-lock!
Sponsored