• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Installed JL Audio 8" Powered MicroSub+ behind rear seat - Lariat ER

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
Transforms the audio experience and doesn't interfere with under seat storage. Replaces the stock subwoofer. Power fed from 12v battery. It really is amazing bang for buck. The sub output level control is installed on the steering wheel column. I highly recommend this solution to anyone wanting to improve the audio experience with minimal work.

Ford F-150 Lightning Installed JL Audio 8" Powered MicroSub+ behind rear seat - Lariat ER 1670726848095

Ford F-150 Lightning Installed JL Audio 8" Powered MicroSub+ behind rear seat - Lariat ER 1670726891164
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Will your rear seat lock in the up position with it installed?

OP
OP

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning

vagabond7846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Looks nice.

Can you describe how you routed the power cable from the 12v battery to the backseats?
Also, did you ground on the chassis?
What was your stock stereo setup; regular B&O or unleashed?

Sponsored
OP
OP

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
Hi, stock stereo was regular B&O. I had a shop install it, so not sure on the exact routing and grounding, but I can take a look.

OP
OP

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
Looks nice.

Can you describe how you routed the power cable from the 12v battery to the backseats?
I checked on the grounding, it is connected to one of the studs that protrudes through the cab floor under the sub location.

Also, the inputs to the sub are set-up for high-level (the sub accepts low-level or high-level), I assume it is using the existing wiring that was going to the B&O sub.

Ford F-150 Lightning Installed JL Audio 8" Powered MicroSub+ behind rear seat - Lariat ER IMG_3121

Ford F-150 Lightning Installed JL Audio 8" Powered MicroSub+ behind rear seat - Lariat ER httpswww.sonicelectronix.comlandingmanualsacp108lgw3v3-manual.pdf

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
Looks nice.

You want to run any aftermarket electronics ground to the battery, not on the chassis. While it might work, you're asking for trouble due to the high-resistance of the factory cab. These newer vehicles are basically glued together and do not offer a low enough resistance for sensitive aftermarket electronics.

vagabond7846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
You want to run any aftermarket electronics ground to the battery, not on the chassis. While it might work, you're asking for trouble due to the high-resistance of the factory cab. These newer vehicles are basically glued together and do not offer a low enough resistance for sensitive aftermarket electronics.
It has been a while since I've installed car audio electronics, but I used to just run the power cable to the amp from the battery, and ground to the body. To be clear; you are saying I should run two cables to the battery?

Since the truck doesn't have an alternator, there must be a voltage-to-voltage converter somewhere that charges the 12v battery -- Does anyone have information on how much current we can pull before it starts over stressing the converter and/or the battery? I'm trying to understand how big of an amp I can use.

thanks,

Sponsored

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
It has been a while since I've installed car audio electronics, but I used to just run the power cable to the amp from the battery, and ground to the body. To be clear; you are saying I should run two cables to the battery?

Since the truck doesn't have an alternator, there must be a voltage-to-voltage converter somewhere that charges the 12v battery -- Does anyone have information on how much current we can pull before it starts over stressing the converter and/or the battery? I'm trying to understand how big of an amp I can use.

thanks,
Yes, power + ground to the 12v battery. The only reason to ground to the cab before was to save $$$$on copper wiring, just like the factory does. But until our aftermarket manufacturers offer a higher level of tolerance on the ground resistance, never assume you can have a good ground anymore except for the battery.

Regarding the converter, assume 100a which should be plenty of reserve for several thousand-watt stereo upgrades.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Transforms the audio experience and doesn't interfere with under seat storage. Replaces the stock subwoofer. Power fed from 12v battery. It really is amazing bang for buck. The sub output level control is installed on the steering wheel column. I highly recommend this solution to anyone wanting to improve the audio experience with minimal work.

1670726848095.jpeg

1670726891164.jpeg
I was doing some research, and I was wondering if you saw this JL Audio sealed 10" powered sub, which has almost the same dimentions, and why you wouldn't have gone with it? There is a guy on the Mach=-E forum that loves this sub in his car, and I was thinking about putting one in both our Mach-E and Lightning.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13693334/JL-Audio-ACS110LG-TW1.html

Ford F-150 Lightning Installed JL Audio 8" Powered MicroSub+ behind rear seat - Lariat ER Capture.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Installed JL Audio 8" Powered MicroSub+ behind rear seat - Lariat ER Capture2.JPG

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I was doing some research, and I was wondering if you saw this JL Audio sealed 10" powered sub, which has almost the same dimentions, and why you wouldn't have gone with it? There is a guy on the Mach=-E forum that loves this sub in his car, and I was thinking about putting one in both our Mach-E and Lightning.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13693334/JL-Audio-ACS110LG-TW1.html

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG
I'm also considering the MicroSub option. My initial thoughts is the power draw difference, that would lead me to lean towards the 8". The 10" might also be overpowering...

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I'm also considering the MicroSub option. My initial thoughts is the power draw difference, that would lead me to lean towards the 8". The 10" might also be overpowering...
With the dial adjustment, I would rather have too much than not enough. It can always be turned down.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
With the dial adjustment, I would rather have too much than not enough. It can always be turned down.
Wouldn't it have a higher RMS wattage though? Maybe I'm just hyperparanoid about the LVB with all the issues people seem to have with the LVB system.
Sponsored