• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is Ford intentionally choosing not to participate in EV Charger Rebate programs?

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
I just received an email from our local power utility, Rocky Mountain Power. I had inquired as to why the Ford branded charge stations, the 80A FCSP and the 48A FCCS, were not on the approved list for the EV rebate they provide. I further asked if they anticipated that they would be added at a later date. I received this response:

The two chargers you listed in your email are not eligible for the EV Charger Incentive. The list is not static and is updated every two weeks if manufacturers submit the necessary documentation to include their chargers on the approved list. At this time, Ford has not elected to participate with no explanation provided.

Why on earth would Ford elect not to participate in an EV incentive?
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I think in this case Siemens would have to submit?

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Is Siemens at the core of these Ford Chargers? I expect you may be correct. But why wouldn't Ford be influencing them to do so? You want customers to adopt your new platform, help them in every way you can!

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
As OP said these are Siemens chargers not Ford. Perhaps ask if they have a list of Siemens chargers that are approved. Kinda like buying a budget friendly appliance nowadays, most the bodies are made by one company they just get a different face plate.

ChrisC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 FFE, 2020 KiaNiroEV
I just received an email from our local power utility, Rocky Mountain Power. I had inquired as to why the Ford branded charge stations, the 80A FCSP and the 48A FCCS, were not on the approved list for the EV rebate they provide. I further asked if they anticipated that they would be added at a later date. I received this response:

The two chargers you listed in your email are not eligible for the EV Charger Incentive. The list is not static and is updated every two weeks if manufacturers submit the necessary documentation to include their chargers on the approved list. At this time, Ford has not elected to participate with no explanation provided.

Why on earth would Ford elect not to participate in an EV incentive?
Let's hope that @Ford Motor Company elects to participate in this! I will be checking every two weeks and crossing fingers 🤞

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm curious as to what incentive Rocky Mountain Power gives for a "charger" rebate.

I don't know how it works for Rocky Mountain Power, but where I live, Consumers Energy won't use the Ford EVSE because there is no "smart" ability to restrict when they turn on and off. They rely on the vehicle.

Consumers Power has two types if incentives. A rebate program for the purchase of a smart EVSE and a $10 a month incentive when charging in a TOU plan. I receive the latter on both my Lightning and Mach-E. All I had to do was take a picture of my charge settings, register my VIN and they monitor my electricity use for use outside of my window. 3 strikes and I lose my incentive for the month.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
JCPL in NJ limits which EVSEs are eligible.

Blink
ChargePoint
JuiceNet
EV Connect

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
I'm curious as to what incentive Rocky Mountain Power gives for a "charger" rebate.

I don't know how it works for Rocky Mountain Power, but where I live, Consumers Energy won't use the Ford EVSE because there is no "smart" ability to restrict when they turn on and off. They rely on the vehicle.

Consumers Power has two types if incentives. A rebate program for the purchase of a smart EVSE and a $10 a month incentive when charging in a TOU plan. I receive the latter on both my Lightning and Mach-E. All I had to do was take a picture of my charge settings, register my VIN and they monitor my electricity use for use outside of my window. 3 strikes and I lose my incentive for the month.
It could be the lack of programability keeping them off the list. Utah is not an EV state, and there isn't much by way of "Green initiatives". You would think our Prepper population would benefit from us being one though. Or at least my fellow cheapskates. I'm honestly not sure what carbon footprint I am offsetting with solar and EV, but love driving a big truck, I want to pay as little for fuel as possible. :)

Anyway, RMP has a residential incentive: 70% of the cost of a L2 charger and install up to $250. Not incredible, but hey, a rebate is worth it if it gives you more than the cost of applying.

RMP also has a TOU plan/incentive, but I am grandfathered into a program that will credit me for my excess solar power returned to the grid. I would have to surrender that bill credit to join the TOU program. I don't have much excess solar anymore, but I plan to expand my footprint to my east facing slopes someday (south facing are all full) and I would want every nickel I could get for any excess solar.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Most utilities will only select chargers for their rebate program that have "smart grid" features to allow the utility to monitor and possibly adjust your charging to reduce load on the grid during critical times. I'm not sure if the Ford/Seimens units have those features.

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Dominion Energy only has 5 listed chargers and their incentive program consists of them being able to stop your car from charging during high energy demand, up to 5 x per month. Then you get an annual $40 credit. Pretty lame... On the other hand - I also know they have to invest in infrastructure a lot. My small street has 10 houses with 24 cars. If we would all get EV's and charge at 50 Amps, we would overload the transformer.

Even worse - Virginia is now charging a "highway use fee" to make up for the lost gas tax revenue. Already hit us for a Prius hybrid at $53 and I am concerned what it would be for the truck...

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Adams Electric Coop in Pennsylvania has a pretty sweet deal. If you install a subpanel, and give them the ability to shut off that panel during periods of peak demand, all electricity used by that panel is half price. I’d jump on that deal if I could.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
DTE has a program where they can shut your charger off occasionally in exchange for $100. I have a second meter which has an EV charging only rate; maybe that has something to do with it but I'm enrolled in that program and they can limit power to my FCSP.

Incidentally, they cut the charger off between 1200 and 200am last week. That seems like a strange time to do that but 🤷‍♂️.
Sponsored