• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is it too late to switch dealers?

WileyKyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 F-150 Lightning
I'm in rural Pennsylvania and the dealer I chose had zero allocations last year and isn't sure if they will get any this year. I was wondering if everyone thinks it's too late to switch to a ZEV state? Maryland is close by and wouldn't be much of a hassle.
Sponsored

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
I too am from PA and switched last Feb to a MD dealer when I found out that Ford was prioritizing Zero Emmisions states. My local PA dealer got one Lightning besides their mannequin and I was number 4 on their list. I wouldn’t have been able to order a MY22 in PA. However, when I switched to the MD dealer I went right to the top of their list based on my reservation number and I got to order. I used Grouse Ford in Tanneyville, MD and would recommend them to anyone. No markups or funny business, just plain straight shooters.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
I too am from PA and switched last Feb to a MD dealer when I found out that Ford was prioritizing Zero Emmisions states. My local PA dealer got one Lightning besides their mannequin and I was number 4 on their list. I wouldn’t have been able to order a MY22 in PA. However, when I switched to the MD dealer I went right to the top of their list based on my reservation number and I got to order. I used Grouse Ford in Tanneyville, MD and would recommend them to anyone. No markups or funny business, just plain straight shooters.
It’s Crouse Ford, not Grouse.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Just curious, if you switch dealers, how is your place in the queue handled? To keep it simple, ignore dealer preferred customers for the moment, assume both dealers have 10 reservations, and the reservation times for customers at both dealers are the same (I know, impossible. But keeping it simple)

You are number 5 with the current dealer. Would you move to #5 at the new dealer (or perhaps #6 if the other dealer has a prior reservation with the identical time as you)? Or do you go to the end of the new dealers list?

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Unfortunately, I did change dealers and only AFTER I did so was I informed that my reservation reset at the new dealer. When you change dealers, you go to the back of the line at that dealer. Reservations are not serviced nationally by global date stamp but rather at the dealer.

The way it was explained to me, first, Ford gives an allocation to a dealer. Second, Ford looks at the reservation list (priority list?) for that dealer and says, okay, John Doe is ready to order based on that dealer's reservation list. Third, Ford sends John Doe an email saying he is good to order. Fourth, John Doe contacts his dealer with the confirmation number he got in the email. Fifth, the dealer uses that number along with their allocation to actually make the order.

That is how it was explained to me by a "Lightning Expert" on the Ford help line. However, I got the impression, that it is all kind of loosey-goosey. For example, the dealer owns the priority list for their dealership. If the dealer's cousin Henry F. Ord decides he wants a Lightning, he can jump the line if the dealer says he can. If you change dealers, you go to the back of the line at the dealer. But, if you take the salesman to lunch and convince him somehow (like saying you will pay $5K ADM), you can get jumped to the front of the line.

Basically, the dealers own the process once they get an allocation and if you dont like it, you can just go pound sand. Or buy another EV. Your "Reservation Date" means absolutely NOTHING.
Sponsored