• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is there a 10 KW version of the HIS?

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
If so please send a link for the source.
There is - Delta makes the inverter - but I haven't found anyone selling it yet. Delta does sell direct in some cases, not sure if the BDI qualifies.

Note that the HIS does provide 10 kW in grid-offline mode, the 4 kW limitation is only in grid-tie mode.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Wait, home backup power is limited to 4kW? Really?

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wait, home backup power is limited to 4kW? Really?
No.

It's 10 kW backup power, always, when the power is out. The inverter chosen by Ford is capable of feeding 10 kW from the truck when the power is out / grid is offline. That's your home backup power.

However, the inverter also has inputs for solar PV panels. And when the power is on from the grid, then the default inverter chosen by Ford/Sunrun/AEE can only feed 4 kW into your AC system.

Delta (the manufacturer of the inverter used) also makes models that feed 6, 8, or 10 kW when the normal power is on / grid is active. Sunrun's supplier (AEE) doesn't list them on its site. I have not attempted to ask if they will sell a package containing the 10 kW power-on feed-in, or if Delta will sell it.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I am waiting for the Emporia V2X coming out early 2023.

$1500 for a 11kW unit.

Emporia V2X Charging Station is a bi-directional car charger that can use your car's EV to power your home (V2H) or the grid (V2G).

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
No.

It's 10 kW backup power, always, when the power is out. The inverter chosen by Ford is capable of feeding 10 kW from the truck when the power is out / grid is offline. That's your home backup power.

However, the inverter also has inputs for solar PV panels. And when the power is on from the grid, then the default inverter chosen by Ford/Sunrun/AEE can only feed 4 kW into your AC system.

Delta (the manufacturer of the inverter used) also makes models that feed 6, 8, or 10 kW when the normal power is on / grid is active. Sunrun's supplier (AEE) doesn't list them on its site. I have not attempted to ask if they will sell a package containing the 10 kW power-on feed-in, or if Delta will sell it.
Thanks for the clarification

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
I am waiting for the Emporia V2X coming out early 2023.

$1500 for a 11kW unit.

Emporia V2X Charging Station is a bi-directional car charger that can use your car's EV to power your home (V2H) or the grid (V2G).

Wow that is neat and affordable!

Do you know if it is compatible with all EVs that have DC fast charging plugs even those that don't advertise being able to do backfeed/V2G/V2H?

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you know if it is compatible with all EVs that have DC fast charging plugs even those that don't advertise being able to do backfeed/V2G/V2H?
The software in the vehicle is required to activate the DC pins, so it needs to be aware somehow of the need to do so. I'd imagine if the vehicle software doesn't know V2G/V2H that it would throw errors (especially since it's going to see current being drawn at a high rate FROM the pack), but perhaps the manufacturer might try to experiment with faking a charge session or something and it might work. My guess is that the answer would be "no" but maybe they have tricks up their sleeves.

Last edited:

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Wow that is neat and affordable!

Yes, it is compatible with the Lightning..

I have been in contact with the manufacturer and offered my Lightning to beta test their new V2X bidirectional charger.

They told me that they have it working with the Lightning and are waiting for commercial approvals, UL, licensing, etc...

They are saying that the only other item needed will be a transfer switch (manual or automatic) to power the home. I believe they said there is a mini battery that will keep the electronics alive when power goes out.

For $1500, I'll wait for the Emporia V2X.

In the meantime, I am using their L2 48A charger for my Lightning at home.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Yes, it is compatible with the Lightning..

I have been in contact with the manufacturer and offered my Lightning to beta test their new V2X bidirectional charger.

They told me that they have it working with the Lightning and are waiting for commercial approvals, UL, licensing, etc...

They are saying that the only other item needed will be a transfer switch (manual or automatic) to power the home. I believe they said there is a mini battery that will keep the electronics alive when power goes out.

For $1500, I'll wait for the Emporia V2X.
I will not try to keep my hopes up overall as this product still sounds a little too good to be true. The big question I would still have (other than if what you are saying here is accurate) is will it be able to integrate with home battery systems (including DIY) with PV.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I will not try to keep my hopes up overall as this product still sounds a little too good to be true. The big question I would still have (other than if what you are saying here is accurate) is will it be able to integrate with home battery systems (including DIY) with PV.
I have been researching this very topic as I am installing solar. Our electricity bills have gone nuts this year and with the Lightning it will make the payback faster.

I believe Enphase system controller 2 can take this as a generator input and ADD to the kW capacity of the system. In other words solar can continue to run, the Lightning can supply house as well and even charge an enphase backup battery. This is unlike Tesla powerwall system which shuts down the solar output and powerwall if a generator is switched in. This is an enormous advantage of the microgrid inverter setup for V2H.

I'll know in a few months whether it all works, this has not been done with HIS since apparently Sunrun has installed only two systems in country in customers homes. I'm counting on our Platinum Enphase installer to help us get it integrated with HIS. Our HIS was just shipped and 24 kW solar construction should start as soon as the permits are approved but will take around two months. HIS and FCSP will go in first but Sunrun is now out of picture due to runaround.

The Emporia V2X that @metroshot describes sounds fantastic and at a much better price point than Sunrun. Emporia is a great innovative company that I've purchased from before. So good to hear they are coming out with this. I'll happily replace sunrun with this when it is available! Thank you for posting this, sunrun system is overkill and costly for what it is doing for us, not using string inverters. I hope Ford is working with Emporia on this as well.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I believe Enphase system controller 2 can take this as a generator input and ADD to the kW capacity of the system.
This is how the SMA Sunny Island Works. You can set it up as a generator and put it as an AC input. Basically any system that’s compatible with a backup generator will also work

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
If so please send a link for the source.
I bought the HIS from AeeExpress and at the time I placed my order their website listed the 10 KW version of the Delta BDI as one of the components of the system. After placing the order, my order details page showed the 4 KW inverter being packaged with my order. I called and confirmed that I would only be receiving the 4 KW, and was told ”at this time the 10 KW was not available in my area”. I live in KY and they told me they are working to make it available here but at this time it is not, however it is available in other states. I think that was not exactly true, I think SunRun has a limited number of the 10 KW inverters and they are holding them back for their own Solar Installs that go along with the HIS set up thus allowing them to profit more off a 10 KW solar install with the Lightning versus just a 4 KW. What really upset me was that I paid the same price for the 4 KW BDI as what someone else that will get the 10 KW inverter paid. After all my complaining and questions regarding this, AEE Express updated their product listing to indicate the 4 KW inverter only being available which to me further indicates the individuals buying this system that are not in a SunRun service area are not provided with the option to get the 10 KW inverter.
Sponsored