• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is there a winch solution for these trucks yet?

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER 2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Rodeo clown
I put winches on everything, always Warn (buy once cry once seen too many cheapos break or not work out there) I prefer a hidden mount like I have on my RAM but would look at anything that works with the sensors and cameras. My search is coming up empty and I'm guessing it's because ~25k trucks or whatever we're at isn't enough for someone to invest the R&D in... Prove me wrong please and show me a winch solution for the Lightning? Thanks 🙏
Sponsored

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2015 SuperCab FX4, 2.7L Ecoboost
Occupation
Climate Aware Livin Coach
I put winches on everything, always Warn (buy once cry once seen too many cheapos break or not work out there) I prefer a hidden mount like I have on my RAM but would look at anything that works with the sensors and cameras. My search is coming up empty and I'm guessing it's because ~25k trucks or whatever we're at isn't enough for someone to invest the R&D in... Prove me wrong please and show me a winch solution for the Lightning? Thanks 🙏
I’m in search for a winch mount too. I’m looking at the MTO Series for ’21 to 22 Ford F150’s at DV8 Off-Road. I emailed to see if it will fit a Lightning. I’ll let you know what they say.

https://dv8offroad.com/products/2021-22-ford-f-150-winch-front-bumper

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Have we got the 12v current capability to support a winch? I like winches too.

steve

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Have we got the 12v current capability to support a winch? I like winches too.

steve
Probably not.

But, you could add a second battery just for winching. The truck is already heavy though, so adding batteries and winches isn't ideal for regular use.

You could make a portable setup. I made a 3500lb unit for tree felling out of a cheap utv winch, some cable and a battery. The winch has a big nylon strap I adapted to attach to whatever.

Sponsored

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Probably not.

But, you could add a second battery just for winching. The truck is already heavy though, so adding batteries and winches isn't ideal for regular use.

You could make a portable setup. I made a 3500lb unit for tree felling out of a cheap utv winch, some cable and a battery. The winch has a big nylon strap I adapted to attach to whatever.
Yea, I’m not 100% convinced I need a 12V winch. I looked for 110V winches and did not find any, LOL. For the limited times you might need one, I'm thinking a rigger-rated 6-ton hand winch, which my Grandpop used to call a “come-along”, with some good rope/tow straps/chocks would probably work. Saves weight and would stow in the frunk.

Any thoughts?

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I haven't looked for 110v winches in forever but they're expensive and weak. I wanted one for my shop to drag stuff in but a 12v 10klbs is cheaper for fixed use.

Come alongs are great but very slow and hold a limited spool. This truck is heavy though, it'll be hard to get unstuck without some serious hardware.

Reactions: LOV

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Adding a winch reduces payload capacity pound for pound. Payload is already very limited on our trucks compared to towing capacity - As it is I can't have passengers or any luggage when towing my in-capacity boat (9,100 pounds with 1,100 pounds of tongue weight plus a 200-pound driver limits out the 1,450 payload. Adding a winch makes it worse for the limited use case. I carry a portable come-along winch for this reason, can take it out when towing. Only wish it were possible to delete the moonroof, which alo kills payload.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I am looking for a bed-mount winch solution. I was wondering if I might operate it using the Pro Power Onboard? I have a couple of scrap items that I want to take to a metal recycling facility. One weighs about 100 to 120 lbs. When I was 30 years younger, I could lift it off the ground onto a lab bench and vice-versa on lowering. Today, I tried rolling it on a dolly up a 94" Black Widow truck ramp at about a 30-deg incline, and it was quite a struggle, particularly because the dimpled punch-out holes in the ramps didn't allow my Adidas Terrex Ax3 lugged sole "hiking boots" to get a good grip on the ramp plates. So, I'll have to try my Reebok CROSSFIT Cross Trainers, which have ribbed crepe soles and are great roofing shoes (now at $150, ~2x the price I paid for them). But it would probably be safer with some of the heavier stuff I still want to get rid of to load it into the bed with a come-along or a Toy Loader bed winch mount (which seems to require minimal drilling into the truck). I could ask one of the neighbors' kids to help me lift stuff into the truck bed, but the wife is worried about the potential liability if someone other than me gets injured in the process.

So if anyone has suggestions for bed-winching solutions that don't have to handle more than a few hundred pounds and how to secure a winching device with minimal truck modification, I'd much appreciate suggestions. The nice thing about the Toy Loader is that it mounts high enough to have the cable clear the open tailgate and comes with a remote control. And if I really got ambitious and wanted to load my John Deere STX-38 riding mower into the bed, the Toy Loader is supposedly strong enough for the job. Perhaps to use it, I'd need to remove my Bak MX4 tonneau cover, so switching between the two would certainly be a hassle.

Thanks for any suggestions and for sharing the wisdom of experience.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
I’ve carried a More Power Puller for years.

Ford F-150 Lightning Is there a winch solution for these trucks yet? IMG_0131

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’ve carried a More Power Puller for years.
Yes! I ended up getting one of these, a 3-ton Power Puller, with synthetic rope, Made in USA by Wyeth. Have not had to use it yet…. But it avoids needs to modify or replace the bumper and air dam, mount a heavy winch, and having to run a high ampacity 12V connection. This, a tow strap, tree saver, and some snatch blocks are what I plan for my recovery kit stowed in my Frank when I hit the trails.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Yes! I ended up getting one of these, a 3-ton Power Puller, with synthetic rope, Made in USA by Wyeth. Have not had to use it yet…. But it avoids needs to modify or replace the bumper and air dam, mount a heavy winch, and having to run a high ampacity 12V connection. This, a tow strap, tree saver, and some snatch blocks are what I plan for my recovery kit stowed in my Frank when I hit the trails.
Yes! Synthetic rope good! Much easier to use than SS cable. My puller is 44 years old and they are tough!
Sponsored