• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is there any reason NOT to get the Max Tow package?

Jcway16

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
I'm in the middle of configuring my build and the only thing I'm not sure about is which tow package to go with...

Here is my build so far:
-XLT w/ Sport Appearance
-302a
-Agate Black
-SuperCrew
-5.5’ bed
-4x4
-Auto start/stop delete
-B&O sound
-360 camera
-Copilot assist 2.0 (may remove this)
-rear sliding window

I want the following as well:
-3.73 electronic locking rear axle
-36 gallon fuel tank

Looking at the towing packages shows a bit of overlap to me and it looks like the Max Tow package includes everything the other tow packages have, PLUS the 3.73 electronic and 36 gallon tank.

-Standard XLT High includes the basics
-Tow tech adds backup assist, 360 camera, trailer brake, smart tow connect
-Trailer tow package includes all of the above, minus the 360 camera
-Max Tow includes all of the above, minus 360 camera, and adds 3.73 electronic locker and the 36 gallon tank

So, Max tow vs Trailer Tow + 3.73 electronic + 36 gallon tank seems like a wash, or am I missing something?
The only thing I would be missing is the 360 camera, which I will add

It seems like the Trailer Tow and Max Tow packages both include an engine oil cooler, larger rear brakes and larger rear sway bar. The Max Tow is just adding the 3.73 locker and 36 gallon tank, is this correct?
Sponsored

hardlymoving

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Supercrew 4 x 4 , 3.5 Ecoboost
I'm in the middle of configuring my build and the only thing I'm not sure about is which tow package to go with...

Here is my build so far:
-XLT w/ Sport Appearance
-302a
-Agate Black
-SuperCrew
-5.5’ bed
-4x4
-Auto start/stop delete
-B&O sound
-360 camera
-rear sliding window

-36 gallon fuel tank

Looking at the towing packages shows a bit of overlap to me and it looks like the Max Tow package includes everything the other tow packages have, PLUS the 3.73 electronic and 36 gallon tank.

-Max Tow includes all of the above, minus 360 camera, and adds 3.73 electronic locker and the 36 gallon tank

So, Max tow vs Trailer Tow + 3.73 electronic + 36 gallon tank seems like a wash, or am I missing something?

It seems like the Trailer Tow and Max Tow packages both include an engine oil cooler, larger rear brakes and larger rear sway bar. The Max Tow is just adding the 3.73 locker and 36 gallon tank, is this correct?

Here is my build so far:
-XLT w/ Sport Appearance
-302a
-Agate Black
-SuperCrew
-5.5’ bed
-4x4
-Auto start/stop delete
-B&O sound
-360 camera
-rear sliding window

-36 gallon fuel tank

I believe only the Max Tow Package includes the larger brakes, that the standard Tow Package does not.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
It may be overkill, but I ordered it since I'll be towing a 6-7k lb TT and also ordered the onboard scales which required it.

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 501A SCREW 4x4 tuned 3.5
On a 5.0 truck, yes, absolutely get the Max Tow package. You are not missing anything. If you were going to get trailer tow + 3.73 + 36 gallon...just get Max Tow because it's that and more

Do it.

And do not get FX4 unless you really really want it for some reason, a huge part of its expense is the axle but you already have the best axle as part of Max Tow

I'd keep the copilot assist 2.0

Sponsored

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
if you aren’t towing much or aren’t adding the 36 gal tank and Elock then don’t get it. If you’re adding both then it’s a better deal to go max tow with the 5.0 or 3.5 ecoboost.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
+1 on the recommendation for the tow mirrors.

+1 on the recommendation to forgo the FX4 package.

The 36 gallon fuel tank is a must have on these trucks especially if you are ever going to tow.

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
There is no rear sway bar. I believe Max Tow includes a larger front sway bar.

OP
OP

Jcway16

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Does anyone know what may be different with the Max Tow rear bumper?

Sponsored

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JCway16;7013451 said:
Does anyone know what may be different with the Max Tow rear bumper?
Short, it's reinforced and rated to pull more weight, but you're likely to be payload limited before needing that extra rating

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors

Here is my build so far:
-XLT w/ Sport Appearance
-302a
-Agate Black
-SuperCrew
-5.5’ bed
-4x4
-Auto start/stop delete
-B&O sound
-360 camera
-rear sliding window

-36 gallon fuel tank

If you want an electronic locking differential and a bigger tank, I'd say get the max tow. I've seen the trailer brake, electronic locking differential, bigger tank ordered on dealers lots and in my opinion it doesn't make a ton of sense. Just order the max tow and get it all.

Just my 2 cents.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Yes, check the box. I don’t do much towing (if ever, so far) but the value for me, it was a no-brainer. The 3.55 gears, the 36 gallon tank, the larger rear brakes. I locked my order in back when it was $1,395. The package price was way cheaper than adding those options individually. Even at the current price of $1,995 now, it’s still not a bad value.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I thought Ford website stated it gave an extra leaf or extra capacity to the back springs when adding the Max Tow Package.

I was thinking the tow package is just the receiver, and not the extra umph needed to carry the load.

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought Ford website stated it gave an extra leaf or extra capacity to the back springs when adding the Max Tow Package.

I was thinking the tow package is just the receiver, and not the extra umph needed to carry the load.
Payload does not increase so the umph to 'carry' the load is not added, no. You'd have to get a low trim truck with a payload package to add that
Sponsored