• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

It's now cheaper to drive a gas vehicle in Massachusetts.

BostonJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
My latest electric bill arrived today, and I am now paying $.357 kWh. That's the all-in cost. I took the bill total and divided my total kWh used.

I'm averaging 2.1 miles per kWh. / $.357 per 2.1 miles or $.17 per 1 mile.

My Silverado, which I traded in for the Lightning, was averaging 18 miles per gallon. Gas prices are around $3.02 in my area.

Here is how the two compare to drive 18 miles:
  • Silverado = $3.02
  • Lightning = $3.06
I guess it's a good thing the Lightning doesn't run on eggs.
Sponsored

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Crazy what a disparity there is across the country with power rates. I’m paying .10 kWh down here. I expect it to inevitably increase.

Last edited:

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
My latest electric bill arrived today, and I am now paying $.357 kWh. That's the all-in cost. I took the bill total and divided my total kWh used.

I'm averaging 2.1 miles per kWh. / $.357 per 2.1 miles or $.17 per 1 mile.

My Silverado, which I traded in for the Lightning, was averaging 18 miles per gallon. Gas prices are around $3.02 in my area.

Here is how the two compare to drive 18 miles:
  • Silverado = $3.02
  • Lightning = $3.06
I guess it's a good thing the Lightning doesn't run on eggs.
Grid connection fees or things like that should be left out of the calculation per kWh because you'd have to pay that whether you charge your Lightning or not. For me, that's $20 or so, which is 10%-20% of my electric bill, depending on month.

BUT it's still crazy that it's so close to the gas Silverado. Guess that happens when you're paying below-average gas prices (national avg. is $3.38/gal) and way above average electric prices (national avg. was $0.14/kWh last I checked).

I wonder if the Northeast is the worst part of the country for electricity prices relative to gas. CA electricity is expensive, but so is gas, for instance.

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Does your electric provider have a plan that has lower rates for EV charging? Even here in crazy California I can get an EV plan with rates at $0.245/kWhr from midnite thru 3pm.

OP
OP

BostonJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Grid connection fees or things like that should be left out of the calculation per kWh because you'd have to pay that whether you charge your Lightning or not. For me, that's $20 or so, which is 10%-20% of my electric bill, depending on month.

BUT it's still crazy that it's so close to the gas Silverado. Guess that happens when you're paying below-average gas prices (national avg. is $3.38/gal) and way above average electric prices (national avg. was $0.14/kWh last I checked).

I wonder if the Northeast is the worst part of the country for electricity prices relative to gas. CA electricity is expensive, but so is gas, for instance.
I never understood why we don't state the all-in cost with quoting kWh. Taxes and fees are built into the per-gallon price that varies from region to region.

The local town hall and a few shopping malls in the area still offer free, albeit slow, chargers. I might have to take advantage of those to offset my $600 monthly electric bill.

Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf

I’m happy to be in the best part of the country for this ratio. Paying $0.08 per kWh 24/7 and gas is…. Hold on, have to look it up… about $3.50. So I’m getting over 90 miles for the cost of one gallon of gas.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I never understood why we don't state the all-in cost with quoting kWh.
That is the remnants of a buzzword push issue to induce electric supply competition in the ~90s. In essence, 'you can buy your generated energy from anyone, but we can't string more powerlines or overlay multiple grids.' So, many states separated out every component of supplying electricity. It turned out competitive generation wasn't much of a way of introducing competition. For my utility, you can still pay them a surcharge to offset all the generation charges with renewable energy. I haven't seen any competitive generating offerings for years.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro
I never understood why we don't state the all-in cost with quoting kWh. Taxes and fees are built into the per-gallon price that varies from region to region.

The local town hall and a few shopping malls in the area still offer free, albeit slow, chargers. I might have to take advantage of those to offset my $600 monthly electric bill.
I think most people only quote kWh because they were already paying an electric bill at their home., therefore the "fees" are built in to household costs regardless of EV ownership. EV charging is only driving up the actual kWh consumption?

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
FWIW upstate NY is not bad ($0.133 per kWh) right now...

Also..Mass and NYS offer heavy tax incentives and subsidies for household solar. Although the environment(weather) is not the best for solar, payback period is reasonable due to cost and incentive.

2023 Solar Incentives and Rebates (Top 10 Ranked States) (ecowatch.com)

Last edited:

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
In our area it's 45 cents/kWh and it's still cheaper than a comparable gas truck. My local Costco has 87 octane at $4.20/gallon. A comparable F150 doing almost all city driving as I do would get about 18 mpg. So gas is 23.3 cents per mile. I'm averaging 2.7 miles per kWh or 16.6 cents/mile for electricity. About a 30% savings. But I also have solar and it covers about 90% of our bill even with charging two EVs.

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Have you looked into solar? We just installed ours a year ago and oversized it in anticipation of taking delivery of the Lightning. Life cycle cost of the power generated was under $0.04/kwh, so even in Florida with relatively cheap power it still made sense.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
In our area it's 45 cents/kWh and it's still cheaper than a comparable gas truck. My local Costco has 87 octane at $4.20/gallon. A comparable F150 doing almost all city driving as I do would get about 18 mpg. So gas is 23.3 cents per mile. I'm averaging 2.7 miles per kWh or 16.6 cents/mile for electricity. About a 30% savings. But I also have solar and it covers about 90% of our bill even with charging two EVs.
Hawaii is practically the perfect place for EVs. Near 70s temp all the time and relatively low speed driving even on the highways.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Gas is still $5/gallon here in So Calif.

I average 2.5-3.5 mi/kWh

So cheaper to drive EV for me.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I never understood why we don't state the all-in cost with quoting kWh.
Depends what the comparison is.

When it comes to price per kWh vs gas, the cost that matters is the incremental cost of the electricity you bought for the truck.

If you were paying $100 before ($20 connection fee + $80 electricity) for 800kWh, or you paid $180 now ($20 connection fee + $160 electricity) for 1600kWh, then your truck doubled your electricity usage, but it does not double the cost.

It's responsible for half of the kWh usage (800kWh of the 1600kWh), so by the "all-in" method, it used $90 of electricity (half of $180 total bill), BUT in reality, it only increased your bill by $80 ($180 - $100) because the $20 connection fee happens whether you bought any electricity or 2000 kWh.

So, the cost per mile should be based on $80/mo, not $90/mo, because that's how much your Lightning's electricity actually added to the bill.

But unless you have a HUGE connection fee (I don't know, you might not have that at all!) driving the Lightning is probably still pretty darn close to gas because electricity is so expensive compared to gas where you're at.
Sponsored