• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jump Charging for Lightning -- vehicle to vehicle charging using jump cables

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Read on another forum something about vehicle to vehicle charging. That is an EV with decent charge pulling alongside an EV that is low on charge (essentially disabled) and being able to give some charge to the low battery to perhaps get the disabled vehicle to the nearest charger. Seems plausible. Anyone have any info.?
Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Sure, they pull, you pop open your frunk, and they plug their charger into your AC outlet.

You could even carry a portable one in your truck like a set of jumper cables. I like the one in a bag made by Clipper Creek.

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
I'm curious if the 240 outlet in the 9.6 Kilowatt Pro Power is the same type of connection as the 32 amp charger that is included. If it is, there is your 240 volt jumper cable.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm curious if the 240 outlet in the 9.6 Kilowatt Pro Power is the same type of connection as the 32 amp charger that is included. If it is, there is your 240 volt jumper cable.
No, it is a different plug. You would need to get a lower power portable EVSE with the correct plug.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
No, it is a different plug. You would need to get a lower power portable EVSE with the correct plug.
The plug on the truck is a 30 amp 240 outlet with a NEMA L14-30 outlet. You would need an adapter to go to a 14-50 outlet to plug in the Ford evse that comes with the vehicle. How that evse is rated at 30 amps and I don't know if there is a way to step it down because the truck may or may not let you pull the full 30amps.
I've seen videos of people successful charging electric cars from a powerboost hybrid so you should be able to do it from the lightning I'd you get the 9kw pro power. If you don't get the 9kw option you don't get the 240 outlet and you'll have to use 120v which is only like 2-3 miles range per hour. You can still do it but it's not going to be fast at all

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The plug on the truck is a 30 amp 240 outlet with a NEMA L14-30 outlet. You would need an adapter to go to a 14-50 outlet to plug in the Ford evse that comes with the vehicle. How that evse is rated at 30 amps and I don't know if there is a way to step it down because the truck may or may not let you pull the full 30amps.
I've seen videos of people successful charging electric cars from a powerboost hybrid so you should be able to do it from the lightning I'd you get the 9kw pro power. If you don't get the 9kw option you don't get the 240 outlet and you'll have to use 120v which is only like 2-3 miles range per hour. You can still do it but it's not going to be fast at all
The Ford mobile charger is 32 amps, not 30, so if you try an adapter you will very likely pop the fuse. You need a 24 amp Portable EVSE (80 percent rating for continuous load) and then it should work fine.

Edit: this this guy

Lectron Level 2 EV Charger (240V,16 Amp) with 21ft Extension Cord J1772 Cable & NEMA 10-30 Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NTNJ5...abc_6ZS4WTHAF6Q14SW23RWD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The Ford mobile charger is 32 amps, not 30, so if you try an adapter you will very likely pop the fuse. You need a 24 amp Portable EVSE (80 percent rating for continuous load) and then it should work fine.

Edit: this this guy

Lectron Level 2 EV Charger (240V,16 Amp) with 21ft Extension Cord J1772 Cable & NEMA 10-30 Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NTNJ5...abc_6ZS4WTHAF6Q14SW23RWD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
You'll still need an adapter to plug into the truck, but ya that or any other evse around 24 amps should be good.
I don't know if it's something I'd plan on doing regularly but it should work.

rtw819

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150L Lariat ER, '23 MME Sel AWD, '19 Niro EV
You'll still need an adapter to plug into the truck, but ya that or any other evse around 24 amps should be good.
I don't know if it's something I'd plan on doing regularly but it should work.
The folks at AC Works make some nice heavy duty adapters for EV's & RV's. Even though their marketing is geared primarily toward Tesla we all know there are other EV's in the world that can use power adapters... Given the appropriate charger/vehicle settings and knowledge of circuit limitations, adapters can be a fantastic thing.

Below is a link to an adapter that converts the L14-30 240v twist lock in the back of the truck to a NEMA 14-50R, assuming the user has a charger with the capability and knows to set the charger/vehicle to 24 amps (at 80% of max).

AC WORKS® NEMA L14-30P 30A Locking Plug to RV/ EV /Range NEMA 14-50R – AC Connectors

They have a selection of several different adapters (even a kit of "EV" adapters as well). We put a variety of selected adapters under the floor in the back of our Niro EV along with our portable L2 EVSE next to the spare tire. The adapters don't take up too much space, and come in super handy on a road trip if you get somewhere with an unusual or foreign-to-you plug like a TT-30 campground plug, and want to catch some charge.

As far as vehicle-to-vehicle charging, I recently saw on another forum referencing an article which mentions a "bi-directional charging cord with a CCS Combo 1 charging plug on both ends" that is capable of transferring power between EV's, but I haven't seen any such animal in person nor available for purchase. Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure how it would work -- like how one might pick the charge provider and the charge recipient if the ends are the same. Seems interesting, but I don't think the vehicles are officially there yet.

The video at the linked in the article is a total bait and switch (or just the wrong video posted altogether) but the article is interesting and somewhat controversial at the same time. YMMV. I can't in good conscience recommend flat-tow "charging" any vehicle that specifically indicates in the manual to avoid being towed except on a flatbed, but here is what they say: https://www.motortrend.com/features/how-to-flat-tow-recharge-electric-vehicles/

Exciting things are yet to come!

cougarXR7

First Name
cougar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
racer
Bi-Directional "Jump Charging"
We should note that the Rivian R1T and R1S, Lucid Air, and Ford F-150 Lightning all offer bi-directional charging and a cord with a CCS Combo 1 vehicle treat charging plug on both ends. This means that if you pass another EV that has run out of juice, you can simply share some of your electricity without any potentially dangerous flat towing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bi-Directional "Jump Charging"
We should note that the Rivian R1T and R1S, Lucid Air, and Ford F-150 Lightning all offer bi-directional charging and a cord with a CCS Combo 1 charging plug on both ends. This means that if you pass another EV that has run out of juice, you can simply share some of your electricity without any potentially dangerous flat towing.
Has this been verified? I saw this mentioned on another forum, but there is so much misinformation and just wishful thinking out there, I don't know what's correct.

Using a 120v outlet is going to be slow to the point of probably being quicker to wait for a flatbed....unless the nearest charger is only a couple miles away or so.

Sponsored

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
I’m gonna make a decal for the back of my PB that says “EV Recovery Vehicle call 867-5309”
?

OP
OP

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If bidirectional EV to EV charging is thing, can unauthorized charging be done on an unattended EV? Asking for a fiend.?

rtw819

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150L Lariat ER, '23 MME Sel AWD, '19 Niro EV
If bidirectional EV to EV charging is thing, can unauthorized charging be done on an unattended EV? Asking for a fiend.?
Hmm... Can you turn on the bed outlets on a PB without having a key/fob nearby and just pushing the button? That might be a way.

Any would-be unauthorized "vampire" looking to steal a DC Fast charge from another vehicle should not have access to power, unless a) you were to leave the source vehicle turned on and walk away or b) there's a whole lot of "smarts" in the CCS1-to-CCS1 cable (assuming such an animal exists -- not finding much on such a cable, and this may have been misinformation) and assuming that the V2V cable is capable of commanding the supplying vehicle's High Voltage Battery system to wake up and provide power. Again, assuming such a cable even exists, I would think the CCS-based V2V protocol would have to either have some sort of handshake and "consent" requirement, or the vehicle providing the charge would have to be "on" (and in Park) to begin with in order to provide power.

Without the High Voltage relay closed and the rest of the HV system online, 400 volts just doesn't sit on those DC pins waiting to be siphoned away. :)

Interesting concepts though!

OP
OP

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hmm... Can you turn on the bed outlets on a PB without having a key/fob nearby and just pushing the button? That might be a way.

Any would-be unauthorized "vampire" looking to steal a DC Fast charge from another vehicle should not have access to power, unless a) you were to leave the source vehicle turned on and walk away or b) there's a whole lot of "smarts" in the CCS1-to-CCS1 cable (assuming such an animal exists -- not finding much on such a cable, and this may have been misinformation) and assuming that the V2V cable is capable of commanding the supplying vehicle's High Voltage Battery system to wake up and provide power. Again, assuming such a cable even exists, I would think the CCS-based V2V protocol would have to either have some sort of handshake and "consent" requirement, or the vehicle providing the charge would have to be "on" (and in Park) to begin with in order to provide power.

Without the High Voltage relay closed and the rest of the HV system online, 400 volts just doesn't sit on those DC pins waiting to be siphoned away. :)

Interesting concepts though!
High dc voltage residing on those pins would be a safety concern for sure. I think no EV manufacturer would be so reckless as to have that kind of hazard behind an unlocked charge port flap.

I know nothing about the control protocol (handshake). The Ford 150L is apparently set up to provide power through those pins with the vehicle turn off, when connected to the Ford 80A charger. So I am guessing one would need some of the "smarts" that reside in the 80 amp charger to facilitate V2V dc jump charging and not just a CCS based cable.
Sponsored