• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jump starting - ICE vs Lightning in Manual

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Looks like Lightning Manual doesn't even mention using it to Jump another vehicle. The ICE, Hybrid Manual mentions specifically " Jumping other vehicle, Lightning only mentions "to start Your Lightning. One capability that is lost on our Lightning. I know you can use numerous Jump Box options, but the cable to Cable via the battery isn't happening. Owners need to stay quiet when someone needs a jump from their BEV 150.

Ford F-150 Lightning Jump starting - ICE vs Lightning in Manual Screenshot_2022-05-15-07-33-07-06_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948

Ford F-150 Lightning Jump starting - ICE vs Lightning in Manual Screenshot_2022-05-15-07-29-06-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12
Sponsored

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I carry a NOCO Boost HD GB70 Jump Box (2000A). Much more Compact and Idiot-Proof than Cables.

Or you could just carry a cheap Quick Charger (110v) and an Extension Cord to Jump another poor motorist (a young lady in distress?). ;)

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
since the 12v battery will have the ability to receive 'charging' from the traction battery during normal truck driving, I would suspect that you could easily share that power, via your normal jump cables, with no issues - a 'running' engine no longer needs to fit into the equation.

By the way, I've yet to jump another EV or ICE from and EV 12v battery, but I HAVE had to jump an EV from an ICE. I purchased a 2015 Nissan Leaf several years ago. When I arrived, the owner could not figure out why the Leaf would not 'come on'. I had already done enough research online to know enough about how these vehicle work to come to the secret assumption that the 12 Battery was no longer adequate, which will then NO ALLOW the vehicle to power up(come on). I used that to leverage a better 'price'. When I attached my jumpers from the ICE to the Leaf's 12v battery, it easily then powered on. A Simple $100 12v battery was all it needed, and it worked perfectly, purring like a kitten, until I sold it recently.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I think the main reason that there is no mention of jump starting an ICE vehicle from your Lightning (or any other EV) is the 12v battery is smaller than an ICE 12v battery. The Lightning battery does not need the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) that an ICE battery needs.

Use a jump box.

OP
OP
Regular150

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I carry a NOCO Boost HD GB70 Jump Box (2000A). Much more Compact and Idiot-Proof than Cables.

Or you could just carry a cheap Quick Charger (110v) and an Extension Cord to Jump another poor motorist (a young lady in distress?). ;)
My NOCO is only the BG44 and I love it but I would like to have something like a Car starter 110v but their usually on wheels and heavy. They would fit in the trunk though. Noco is just a bank of Lithium Ion battery with high amp outlet for the jump cables. Imagine if Ford had a similar setup in the Lightning that has a longer set of cables, that would be awesome. My dump trailer uses all the BG44 has for one lift then it's recharge time. I hook the Ford cables that came with my Power boost and those cheap things get hot and you can smell the plastic. I guess I'll have to spend the $400-500 for the big NOCO. In the future. As Murphy's law has its way, the Kubota was dead as well!

Ford F-150 Lightning Jump starting - ICE vs Lightning in Manual IMG_20220512_182706

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
EV owners should not jump ICE vehicles with their 12v batteries as they are not made for the big load that jump starting requires. Besides, on many EVs the 12v battery is hard to get to. Either have a standalone battery pack, or plug in a battery charger with engine start to an outlet, if the vehicle is equipped for it. But leave the 12v battery in your vehicle untouched.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I assume once you turn on EV, the main battery will power the 12V battery, right?

If that's true, probably it is possible to jump start other vehicles. I don't see why it can't be done technically.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
There is a jump point on the truck - see here in Doug's video:

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
They are not designed to jump start other vehicles for a few reasons:

1) The 12V battery is much, much smaller, it's only really needed to power the computer and the safety contactors in the battery pack. The DC-DC converter is generally intended to shoulder the load of handling all the 12V loads in the vehicle.

2) You'll find a fuse protecting the 12V side of things. In a Tesla Model X, that's a 250A main fuse and a 50A accessory fuse. Jump starting from those terminals can blow the fuse, cause damage to the DC-DC converter, or shorten the life of the 12V battery.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I assume once you turn on EV, the main battery will power the 12V battery, right?

If that's true, probably it is possible to jump start other vehicles. I don't see why it can't be done technically.
No.

At least on the Mach-E, all the accessories run off the 12V. It draws down, then the HVB charges it up, then it draws down, then the HVB charges it up.

Some had an issue with the battery not getting charged up again as the vehicle sat, which it is supposed to do, whether plugged in or not.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
No.

At least on the Mach-E, all the accessories run off the 12V. It draws down, then the HVB charges it up, then it draws down, then the HVB charges it up.

Some had an issue with the battery not getting charged up again as the vehicle sat, which it is supposed to do, whether plugged in or not.
That's sounds not the right way...

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
The MME comes with this battery: #BHAGM-H3 I suspect the Lightning will have the same or similar battery. It has about half the CCA and Reserve Capacity as an F-150 ICE battery.

I don't know what the charging capability is from the HV battery to the 12V battery.

The 12v charging system is probably designed to charge at a rate equal to the maximum 12v load (HVAC, Lights, Infotainment, etc.) the truck could have. It's probably not designed to be like an alternator on an ICE vehicle which can provide a lot of amperage when you rev the engine up to assist with jump starting another vehicle.
Ford F-150 Lightning Jump starting - ICE vs Lightning in Manual 1652805888062

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Right. Don't jump cars with an EV, unless it has a specific jump connection like the F-150L might.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0

I'll draw a comparison to Tesla. The 2012 Model S had a DC-DC converter capable of providing 90A of 12V accessory load (and 12V battery replenishment) from the main battery pack. That's not enough to jump start.

Saying "the main battery will power the 12V battery" hides the complexity of HOW that is done - the DC-DC converters have limits.
Sponsored