• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Late Reservation (May 29, 0106 time stamp) Need Feedback Please

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
91' Skyline GTR Sold, 16' Shelby GT350 Sold
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
This is by far the most informative and kind forum I have I come across. I have spent numerous hours researching and reading threads and comments. Thank you all for creating this wonderful community. A little bit about me: I am an active duty service member out of the Virginia area. I am willing to travel almost anywhere in the states for this truck. I say almost anywhere as I plan on driving it back and would prefer to avoid such distances such as CA, AZ, Oregon, etc. My current old car is starting to give me problems and I would rather get a truck before the year is over, otherwise I may have to look into something else that fits my needs if my vehicle stops working.

Now let me go straight to my issue. I have a reservation that was made on the 29th of May (yes, I know I was late to the party and most won't feel sorry for me) but I'm extremely excited about having an opportunity to buy Ford's first fully electric F-150. I have come to terms with the fact that I will not receive a MY22 Lightning. I have already gone through 3 dealerships in different states avoiding ADMs, or dealers with very low allocations. Now I am #53 out of a Kansas dealer from what I believe. I am interested in only ordering the Pro trim as that is what fits my budget best. I will however upgrade to the XLT trim if I absolutely have to, or only in the case that this makes the difference in maybe getting a truck this year. Otherwise I'll wait for the Pro in MY23 which is what I really want. Can others with late reservations like me share their experiences and advice on what they are doing? What state/dealer/area should I be looking to transfer my reservation to boost my chances at getting a truck for MY23? With all the mysteries and confusions from Ford I know that this is all just guessing and making decisions with limited information. I am just looking at this forum for feedback before I give up on this truck. I know that I have plenty of people ahead of me who took action as soon as reservations opened. I also know that I will not be prioritized by any dealer so I just have to wait my turn. But if you were me, I want to hear to which state would you move it to join others like me in this quest to buy such as special car.

*This is my first post. If I need to move this or modify it in any way, please let me know as I would like to be a respectful member that positively contributes to the forum.
Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
After reading a lot of feedback from other members on the unavailability of the Pro, it seems like most people are of the opinion that if you cannot take delivery of a Pro before the tax credit gets phased out, but you can order and take delivery of an XLT when the full tax credit is in place, get a XLT SR because there is not that much of a net difference in cost.

OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
After reading a lot of feedback from other members on the unavailability of the Pro, it seems like most people are of the opinion that if you cannot take delivery of a Pro before the tax credit gets phased out, but you can order and take delivery of an XLT when the full tax credit is in place, get a XLT SR because there is not that much of a net difference in cost.
Thank you, this is what I might just end up doing. Should I try to go for a dealer in Texas which has had a lot of truck allocations, or should I go for a ZEV state like MA, MD, or NJ?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I wouldn't count on being able to get a Pro before 2025 (probably 2026) based on your reservation time, and place at a non-preferred state's dealer. The Pro's for 2023 are probably sold out already by people extending their reservations. Kansas also won't qualify for a high allotment compared to ZEV states like Oregon/California. So 58 in Kansas is probably more 150 in California.

Tax credits will likely change before then so I wouldn't be too worried about what the current rules are.

What I would be concerned about...Ford may discontinue the Pro trim by then (if they do not make enough money on it) or reprice it.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Preston Ford in Hurlock Maryland.

Its everything I think you could want.

BEV state, large dealership, and I would bet low reservations.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
get a XLT SR because there is not that much of a net difference in cost.
Assuming you can take advantage of the full tax credit (which you may or may not be able to) it's $7,500. Remember, if you are financing, you have to finance that additional $7,500 because you won't get the tax credit until the following calendar year.

The XLT is $13k more than the Pro. The added features from Pro to XLT are not even worth $5,500 (in my opinion). The people leaving the Pro option and jumping for the XLT are mostly impatient or have a severe case of FOMO (again, my opinion).

His place at his dealer means he couldn't even order an XLT this year, possibly next year too, even if he wanted it.

Deleted member 9341

This is by far the most informative and kind forum I have I come across. I have spent numerous hours researching and reading threads and comments. Thank you all for creating this wonderful community. A little bit about me: I am an active duty service member out of the Virginia area. I am willing to travel almost anywhere in the states for this truck. I say almost anywhere as I plan on driving it back and would prefer to avoid such distances such as CA, AZ, Oregon, etc. My current old car is starting to give me problems and I would rather get a truck before the year is over, otherwise I may have to look into something else that fits my needs if my vehicle stops working.

Now let me go straight to my issue. I have a reservation that was made on the 29th of May (yes, I know I was late to the party and most won't feel sorry for me) but I'm extremely excited about having an opportunity to buy Ford's first fully electric F-150. I have come to terms with the fact that I will not receive a MY22 Lightning. I have already gone through 3 dealerships in different states avoiding ADMs, or dealers with very low allocations. Now I am #53 out of a Kansas dealer from what I believe. I am interested in only ordering the Pro trim as that is what fits my budget best. I will however upgrade to the XLT trim if I absolutely have to, or only in the case that this makes the difference in maybe getting a truck this year. Otherwise I'll wait for the Pro in MY23 which is what I really want. Can others with late reservations like me share their experiences and advice on what they are doing? What state/dealer/area should I be looking to transfer my reservation to boost my chances at getting a truck for MY23? With all the mysteries and confusions from Ford I know that this is all just guessing and making decisions with limited information. I am just looking at this forum for feedback before I give up on this truck. I know that I have plenty of people ahead of me who took action as soon as reservations opened. I also know that I will not be prioritized by any dealer so I just have to wait my turn. But if you were me, I want to hear to which state would you move it to join others like me in this quest to buy such as special car.

*This is my first post. If I need to move this or modify it in any way, please let me know as I would like to be a respectful member that positively contributes to the forum.
I was in solidly in the Pro camp too. It’s perfect for me. And I actually liked the vinyl seats best for practicality. I’m also not a fan of that light bar across the front which seems like a total design afterthought to me. I’m sure that will be much better done on the next generation. All that said, I got so fed up with this entire process that I just decided to get the XLT SR since Pro was sold out to put the whole thing to bed and move on. I don’t qualify for the tax credit so my decision didn’t revolve around that or FOMO. If you’re the type of person to hold onto the truck for 5+ years, I’d say just do the XLT SR when your number comes up and be happy with it…especially if your current ride is starting to act up. Part of me hates to reward Ford’s bad behavior on this, but I opted to put that aside and make the best of it anyway. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
If you want to improve your chances, buy in a ZEV state forsure. I suspect Ford will be disproportionately allocating to these states for the foreseeable future.

That being said, your goals are somewhat contradictory -- wanting the truck fast(er) than you're likely to be allocated, but don't want to pay for getting it quicker.

Obviously you didn't get in on prioritizations from your original ordering dealer -- and nobody's really said anything as to whether or not there will be another round of them.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to go counter to what everyone else is doing on the forum if you want it early 2023. Find a dealer charging an acceptable-to-you ADM greater than 0, and go with them. They're likely to have people not proceed with ordering because of the ADM, and maybe clear through a bunch of people on the list ahead of you as a result.

Alternatively... buy yourself time. Find a truck you like today, try to negotiate the heck out of it, but in the back pocket knowing pricing is going up. Buy it then sell when your lightning comes.

OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
Preston Ford in Hurlock Maryland.

Its everything I think you could want.

BEV state, large dealership, and I would bet low reservations.
I'll give them a call on Monday before I transfer my reservation over. Let's see how it goes.

OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
I was in solidly in the Pro camp too. It’s perfect for me. And I actually liked the vinyl seats best for practicality. I’m also not a fan of that light bar across the front which seems like a total design afterthought to me. I’m sure that will be much better done on the next generation. All that said, I got so fed up with this entire process that I just decided to get the XLT SR since Pro was sold out to put the whole thing to bed and move on. I don’t qualify for the tax credit so my decision didn’t revolve around that or FOMO. If you’re the type of person to hold onto the truck for 5+ years, I’d say just do the XLT SR when your number comes up and be happy with it…especially if your current ride is starting to act up. Part of me hates to reward Ford’s bad behavior on this, but I opted to put that aside and make the best of it anyway. Good luck!
Thank you, I think I won't have much of a choice if I really want one but to go with the XLT SR. I really hate how little priority Ford gave the Pro trim to regular buyers like us. Guess it's not as profitable but what a value this was at just under $40k. As they say, gotta pay to play.

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
If you want to improve your chances, buy in a ZEV state forsure. I suspect Ford will be disproportionately allocating to these states for the foreseeable future.

That being said, your goals are somewhat contradictory -- wanting the truck fast(er) than you're likely to be allocated, but don't want to pay for getting it quicker.

Obviously you didn't get in on prioritizations from your original ordering dealer -- and nobody's really said anything as to whether or not there will be another round of them.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to go counter to what everyone else is doing on the forum if you want it early 2023. Find a dealer charging an acceptable-to-you ADM greater than 0, and go with them. They're likely to have people not proceed with ordering because of the ADM, and maybe clear through a bunch of people on the list ahead of you as a result.

Alternatively... buy yourself time. Find a truck you like today, try to negotiate the heck out of it, but in the back pocket knowing pricing is going up. Buy it then sell when your lightning comes.
You make a solid argument. I do want it quicker but I don't want to reward dealers charging ADM out of principle and because of my budget in mind. However, your suggestion makes sense, if I do find a dealer that charges a "reasonable" ADM say $2000-$3000 to bump me up, then at least I get a chance at buying the truck I really want. Otherwise, I'll downgrade to the Maverick to hold me for a while until eventually at some point in the next 3 years, Ford sends me the invite. Thanks for your suggestion. I will start looking for a dealer in a ZEV state with low ADMs and moderate reservation count.

Deleted member 9341

Thank you, I think I won't have much of a choice if I really want one but to go with the XLT SR. I really hate how little priority Ford gave the Pro trim to regular buyers like us. Guess it's not as profitable but what a value this was at just under $40k. As they say, gotta pay to play.
It really is a shame. So many folks wanted it

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
What part of Virginia are you in? You may want to consider Northern VA as part of your search since it may also be treated like Maryland and the District of Columbia for allocation purposes due to their proximity to each other.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
You make a solid argument. I do want it quicker but I don't want to reward dealers charging ADM out of principle and because of my budget in mind. However, your suggestion makes sense, if I do find a dealer that charges a "reasonable" ADM say $2000-$3000 to bump me up, then at least I get a chance at buying the truck I really want. Otherwise, I'll downgrade to the Maverick to hold me for a while until eventually at some point in the next 3 years, Ford sends me the invite. Thanks for your suggestion. I will start looking for a dealer in a ZEV state with low ADMs and moderate reservation count.
You may want to look at backup options in case the F150L does not come thru this year or next as the low end Pro and XLT SR are going to be snapped up first.

I am doubtful I'll even end up with my second choice trim: XLT even if I am in a ZEV state.

I have put in reservations / dealer requests for other EVs to see what pans out in the event the Ford is unavailable.

GM Silverado EV
Subaru Solterra EV
Toyota bZ4X

My wife is looking to replace her PHEV by next year as she has a 4 year end of life HOV carpool exemption in CA that runs out.
She is looking at getting the Volvo C40 or XC40 Recharge from Sweden - she wants to take a free trip for 2 to Gothenburg, Sweden and do a Euro delivery.
It's a nice deal - lower price paid due to "tourist" pricing, 2 R/T flights to Sweden, hotel stay and factory tour....
Ford F-150 Lightning Late Reservation (May 29, 0106 time stamp)  Need Feedback Please Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 8.19.59 PM
Sponsored

Last edited: