• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Less expensive, code-approved way to add Lightning's home backup power capability

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Background: I live in an extreme (cold) climate and several years ago, while on vacation, the house sustained over $20,000 in water damage when a severe winter storm caused a multi-day power outage along with frozen and burst pipes. The result of that unpleasant experience was the decision to install a grid-tied solar power system with a battery backup and a secondary input for a generator.

The current battery backed-up solar power system provides 4-8 hours of automatic, battery-only backup power to the home's critical circuits - enough for most power outages, or at least long enough to get thru the night until the manual generator can be connected and started. Given our long winter nights and two month period when the solar panels largely go to sleep, the idea of additional Lightning-provided, multi-day power backup is appealing. The unappealing part is the idea of spending even more money on an expensive, and already reasonably sufficient, alternative power system.

I've attached a diagram of the planned system upgrades using the known capabilities of the Lightning's On-Board Power (not the still unknown requirements and capabilities of the Charge Station Pro and it's car-to-home automatic power system). By simply installing a $40, 30 amp receptacle and a $100 manual switch (highlighted in the blue boxes) it will be possible to add a safe and code-approved, multi-day, power back up to any similarly configured home power system.

If it turns out additional charging speed is needed, the 80 amp Charge Station Pro can be added to the 200 Amp main panel using the unused circuit breaker slots left after moving the critical circuits to a separate, dedicated panel. As it is now in my system though, the Level 2 charger is jumpered down to 16 amps to ensure most charging power is provided primarily by solar generation. Adding the bi-directional charging capability of the Lightning to power the entire house thru the main panel is more complex and too expensive to be worthwhile for me.

Conclusions for others who love the idea of the Lightning's backup power capability but who'd like to avoid the expense of adding bi-directional power using the Charge Station Pro:

1)If you are planning to install or upgrade a grid-tied, battery backup solar power system spend a few extra dollars to insure your inverter has a secondary power input capability.
2)If you already have a "power wall" type home backup power system you probably already have most of the equipment needed to integrate a second power source using the on-board power capability. So, talk to your electrician about code-approved and less expensive ways to add the Lightning as a second, backup power source.

I realize most home power systems aren't nearly so complex, but it was in reading the many good suggestions and observations in the various Lightning power threads that I came to realize I can add the Lightning's impressive backup power capabilities for thousands of dollars less than originally thought. Hopefully this power configuration diagram can help others figure out more efficient (less expensive) ways to add the Lightning to their home infrastructure.

Ford F-150 Lightning Less expensive, code-approved way to add Lightning's home backup power capability Home power  without 80A Charger.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
This is similar to what I was thinking since i am setting up a generator and lightning won’t be around for another year or longer.

I am going to run two circuits from the main panel to the garage: an 80a to charge EVs and one 30a for manual generator/lightning through interlock. If lightning home backup is reasonable cost with Pro trim and standard battery, I may look into it. Otherwise a 30a manual feed is sufficient for my needs to run basic circuits.

Appreciate you sharing the diagram.

Background: I live in an extreme (cold) climate and several years ago, while on vacation, the house sustained over $20,000 in water damage when a severe winter storm caused a multi-day power outage along with frozen and burst pipes. The result of that unpleasant experience was the decision to install a grid-tied solar power system with a battery backup and a secondary input for a generator.

The current battery backed-up solar power system provides 4-8 hours of automatic, battery-only backup power to the home's critical circuits - enough for most power outages, or at least long enough to get thru the night until the manual generator can be connected and started. Given our long winter nights and two month period when the solar panels largely go to sleep, the idea of additional Lightning-provided, multi-day power backup is appealing. The unappealing part is the idea of spending even more money on an expensive, and already reasonably sufficient, alternative power system.

I've attached a diagram of the planned system upgrades using the known capabilities of the Lightning's On-Board Power (not the still unknown requirements and capabilities of the Charge Station Pro and it's car-to-home automatic power system). By simply installing a $40, 30 amp receptacle and a $100 manual switch (highlighted in the blue boxes) it will be possible to add a safe and code-approved, multi-day, power back up to any similarly configured home power system.

If it turns out additional charging speed is needed, the 80 amp Charge Station Pro can be added to the 200 Amp main panel using the unused circuit breaker slots left after moving the critical circuits to a separate, dedicated panel. As it is now in my system though, the Level 2 charger is jumpered down to 16 amps to ensure most charging power is provided primarily by solar generation. Adding the bi-directional charging capability of the Lightning to power the entire house thru the main panel is more complex and too expensive to be worthwhile for me.

Conclusions for others who love the idea of the Lightning's backup power capability but who'd like to avoid the expense of adding bi-directional power using the Charge Station Pro:

1)If you are planning to install or upgrade a grid-tied, battery backup solar power system spend a few extra dollars to insure your inverter has a secondary power input capability.
2)If you already have a "power wall" type home backup power system you probably already have most of the equipment needed to integrate a second power source using the on-board power capability. So, talk to your electrician about code-approved and less expensive ways to add the Lightning as a second, backup power source.

I realize most home power systems aren't nearly so complex, but it was in reading the many good suggestions and observations in the various Lightning power threads that I came to realize I can add the Lightning's impressive backup power capabilities for thousands of dollars less than originally thought. Hopefully this power configuration diagram can help others figure out more efficient (less expensive) ways to add the Lightning to their home infrastructure.

Home power  without 80A Charger.JPG

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
I am very much hoping my existing mobile generator plug will allow me to use the F150. It's a manual switch and already set up ;)

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Being in the hot Southwest all year, without the risk of any freezing, I am also curious about the Ford EV backup.

Until I know more about the inverter & costs needed for the house, I will be ultra rustic and use 120V 10ga extension cords w/ grounds & GFCI outlets for the essential stuff (lights, refrigerator, coffee maker, portable A/C).

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
I am very much hoping my existing mobile generator plug will allow me to use the F150. It's a manual switch and already set up ;)
As long as the transfer switch is rated for a neutral bonded generator

Sponsored

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
So what is the max amperage for the 240 outlet in the bed on the 9.6Kw power package? Looks like your planning on 30A max in your schematic.

OP
OP
Bandit216

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Two reasons I'm planning on a 30Amp connection to my home's backup power:

1) After cross checking several Ford websites, it appears the Lightning's 9.6kW pro power package is supplied as 7.2kW thru the truck bed power outlets (same as the current F150 hybrid) plus 2.4kW thru the frunk power outlets. That certainly makes sense from a commonality\cost perspective. So, the maximum Pro Power output port on the Lightning will be a 240v\30Amp (7.2Kw), NEMA L14-30R outlet located in the truck bed.

2) I'm planning on connecting the Lightning to the generator input circuit on my current solar inverter and that generator input is currently a 30Amp circuit. Again, keep in mind that I already have a dedicated critical circuits panel that is supplied by (in priority order): 1) solar output, 2) the local grid, or 3)an existing 130Ah battery. If the grid is not available and there is insufficient solar input to recharge the battery (night, bad weather, etc.), I start the generator, which only recharges the battery that is supplying the critical circuit panel (thru the inverter). So, basically, my Lightning will also just be used to recharge my existing backup battery if sufficient solar power is not available.

I'm sure, for most people, extension cords from the Lightnings power ports is going to be the best low cost power backup solution.

Side note: If you are planning to use your Lightning to provide the maximum rate boost charge to another EV, it appears you will be wanting to carry a NEMA 14-30 to NEMA 14-50 adapter cable since most mobile 240v EVSEs use a NEMA 14-50 plug. That is certainly better than using one of the painfully slow 120v outlets.
Sponsored