• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

License Plate/Tags Weighted or Not?

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Hey folks,

I know this is going to vary from state to state. I am in NC. For those of you that taken delivery already, what kind of tags did you get for the truck and what weight was listed on the registration. Here in NC, I think anything about 6,000lbs needs a "weighted tag". My GWVR with my all terrain tires is 8400lbs. However, my dealer submitted paper work for for weighted tags and listed the weight as 7,000lbs. I guess technically that is fine as long as I don't haul anything since the actually weight of the truck is around 6,500lbs. My understanding is the weight listed on my registration has to cover the truck, all contents in the truck and trailer and its contents as well. So if that is true, I think i would need my registration to have a weight of north of 10k just to haul my 16ft car trailer and a car on it. Im heading to the local DMV tomorrow morning, but wanted to get an idea of how others are handling this.

Mike
Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
In Illinois, I transferred my electric plates from my Model S onto my truck, although multiple different DMV's had varying opinions on whether that was legal until my dealer called the state capital office to figure it out. Some said that I needed to put truck-weight plates on it, others said I didn't. In the end, my electric plates are on the truck.

By default, most dealerships will just issue weighted truck plates here, then you can go and request any special plates (like Special Olympics, etc.) The electric plates no longer have a real advantage to passenger or B-truck plates, now that the state just charges the same amount.

Your truck must be plated for gross weight in Illinois, not gross weight rating. So while your GVWR might be 8400 or 8550, a B-truck plate (up to 8,000 lbs.) is sufficient as long as you won't weigh more than 8,000 lbs.

Finally, in Illinois, the requirement to include trailer weight depends upon the plate you use. If you use ST (semi-trailer) plates on your trailer - which was a common workaround for the crazy $150+/year registration fee enacted a few years ago - then your truck's weight plate needs to include the gross combination weight including trailer & contents. If you use weighted trailer plates (TA/TB/TC/etc.), then the trailer is measured independently from the truck.