• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning 20" AT vs AS tire option. Does anyone have info about these tires?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Looking at Tire Rack today, I see that the 2022 F150 lightning is now available as a vehicle selection. Filtering by the 20” option, and OEM, shows an AS tire that is the Good Year Wrangler Territory HT and the AT options as the Hankook Dynapro AT2 or Pirelli Scorpion ATR.
Good catch! Those all seasons seem to have pretty good reviews.
Sponsored

syrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat 3.5L PowerBoost
does anyone know if the usual truck tire options work fine for ev or are we limited to tires designed for ev? i keep reading about need for ev tires, but since no real market for them yet i don't see anything on the market.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
does anyone know if the usual truck tire options work fine for ev or are we limited to tires designed for ev? i keep reading about need for ev tires, but since no real market for them yet i don't see anything on the market.
Any tire suitable for the vehicle weight will be just fine. An “EV” tire *might* get you a bit better range, but ultimately an EV is just a heavier-than-normal car.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Any tire suitable for the vehicle weight will be just fine. An “EV” tire *might* get you a bit better range, but ultimately an EV is just a heavier-than-normal car.
Heavier, more torque and quieter, so it in theory will require a more durable tread due to the weight and torque, but to avoid slipping with the high torque it will need to be soft enough to hook up well. All the while not having too much tread noise because there is no ICE making noise.
Just get what you like knowing that it will be louder, more likely to spin when accelerating aggressively and will wear out faster.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
EV tires often have LRR (low rolling resistance) and have lousy traction when compared to even all season tires. I had Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on my Model S which were the OEM tire. They were indeed quiet and comfortable and even had enough traction for launches, but they were awful during panic stops and cornering. I now have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires which have greater cornering and braking traction. They are just a touch louder (not offensive) and they are 4-7% less efficient than the MXM4s. I also run Firestone Destination A/T tires on my Ridgeline. They perform in all conditions very well, but my mpg has always been well below average with them.

There are currently only a handful of tires available that check the "Eco Focus" box on Tire Rack. It's interesting that Ford did not choose one of those as OEM for the truck given the importance of maximizing range.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
EV tires often have LRR (low rolling resistance) and have lousy traction when compared to even all season tires. I had Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on my Model S which were the OEM tire. They were indeed quiet and comfortable and even had enough traction for launches, but they were awful during panic stops and cornering. I now have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires which have greater cornering and braking traction. They are just a touch louder (not offensive) and they are 4-7% less efficient than the MXM4s. I also run Firestone Destination A/T tires on my Ridgeline. They perform in all conditions very well, but my mpg has always been well below average with them.

There are currently only a handful of tires available that check the "Eco Focus" box on Tire Rack. It's interesting that Ford did not choose one of those as OEM for the truck given the importance of maximizing range.
I will second the capabilities of the A/S3+ tires. I have them on my GT350 - that said, I don't think I would ever use them in the winter - they just do not preform in the snow/ice. Great 3 season tire though.

We have been very pleasantly surprised on how good the stock tires on our Mach-e GT are (Continental cross contact). I was prepared to swap them out for something better in the snow, but they have been wonderful - the car is a beast in slippery conditions.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The biggest thing to be careful of is the weight ratings. Otherwise, I moved away from an “EV” tire on my Teslas a while ago.

In some cases the noise was higher and the efficiency worse (snow/winter tires) In other cases the handling got better and the efficiency worse (high performance summer) and in some I’ve even gotten better efficiency out of a non-EV AS package.

The only thingI’ve noticed out of an EV tire is really the foam insert for noise reduction. I usually drive with a radio on so it hasn’t made much of a difference to me.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer

Even though the tire model may have the same name, it is highly likely that Ford will have a special version created for the Lightning and the ones that come on it at delivery, and ones that you can get today at TR or another retailer will have different characteristics.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
it is highly likely that Ford will have a special version created for the Lightning
I haven't seen any manufacturer do this other than Tesla. I'm not even sure about Tesla, I just read that they have foam or something in their tires so I'm assuming they're custom made.

Everyone else, however, is using off the shelf tires.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
There have been many special EV tires created - all aimed at lower rolling resistance.

People freak out over the foam in the tires of a Tesla. That was actually meant to make the tires quieter. In my opinion it doesn't work, but it freaks tire shops out. You can easily cut it out to fix a flat and then just a quick rebalance of the tire and done..

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
These are for Rivian who worked with Pirelli on the tires:

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning 20" AT vs AS tire option.  Does anyone have info about these tires? 1648828141077

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning 20" AT vs AS tire option.  Does anyone have info about these tires? 1648828168729

Neither are Lightning sizes, but perhaps you could run a 275/65 on the stock 20" wheels. Your speedo and likely range prediction would be off a bit though.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you look on tire rack the hankook dynapro at2 have a special ford tread pattern for the lightning.

KniceHit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L
If you look on tire rack the hankook dynapro at2 have a special ford tread pattern for the lightning.
That is the answer right there. This video confirms that is the tire being used.