• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Battery Heating

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So we have many new conversations about range and cold and the impact on batteries. One item I'm not sure I've seen or discussed, is what method, if any, does the Lightning heat the battery?

Early Tesla S and X had dedicated battery heaters, the 3 and Y, can generate heat from the motors (without them even turning) and direct that heat into the battery. If you tell your Tesla you are headed to a Supercharger they will add extra heating to the battery any time of the year just to speed up the charging process.

So that brings up the question - do we have any heat loops directed into the battery? From any heat source?
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is a good question. I can’t recall but I believe there was one time early in ownership I was headed to try EA and I put that on the OEM Nav and some message came up about the battery preconditioning for charging. Maybe I’m thinking about my Model 3

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Does it really matter? The system while departure conditioning can at least saturate 9.6kW L2 charging when it claims to just be warming the battery. Heat is heat. It kind of is irrelevant whether you generate that via a PTC resistive heater or just short the motor while running coolant and therefore use the motor as a resistive heater.

(and yeah based off the departure conditioning system and overnight battery conditioning power draw in the cold, it absolutely has some way to generate heat from electricity for the battery)

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I believe that the F-150L, like the Mach-E, uses the car's heater to heat the battery, as needed. If you set a Departure Time and are plugged in, then the battery is preconditioned.

There is currently no feature to precondition the battery as you approach a DC Fast Charger.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I believe that the F-150L, like the Mach-E, uses the car's heater to heat the battery, as needed. If you set a Departure Time and are plugged in, then the battery is preconditioned.

There is currently no feature to precondition the battery as you approach a DC Fast Charger.
That’s a shame and something you think Ford would have added while using Tesla as a standard…. So many misses, I don’t get it.

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
And Ford just sent this lol

4233CD62-BAF5-4FDD-B83F-6061FE1C5EEF.png

Show some TLC
Just got it too. A reminder of the things you can do is good, but likely in response to the rumble they are hearing. Maybe a lot of first time EV owners out there.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just got it too. A reminder of the things you can do is good, but likely in response to the rumble they are hearing. Maybe a lot of first time EV owners out there.
Nearly the same email they sent a year ago to Mach-E owners.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
That’s a shame and something you think Ford would have added while using Tesla as a standard…. So many misses, I don’t get it.
What exactly are you referring to?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Funny how Ford did not incorporate a battery heater for cold weather areas.

I know that the Honda Clarity when sold to Canadians, had a battery heater added on.

But none for US sales...

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Funny how Ford did not incorporate a battery heater for cold weather areas.

I know that the Honda Clarity when sold to Canadians, had a battery heater added on.

But none for US sales...
I think the battery shares the cabin heater. That is why it's recommended that you not use the cabin heater while using a DCFC, so the heater can be used solely to heat the battery.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
This mornings energy consumption of 2.686 kWh while pre-conditioning from 8:45 to 9:00, (note the cloud server is still on EDT, real current EST was 7:45 to 8:00), I had the MAX Heat switch on as of last shutdown

Note the 18.867 kWh is the final load of charging from last nights cold weather endurance run, I mention in another thread, that was 77% to 90%, it actually finished around 12:35 am early this morning, but the truck does not report to the mothership until the CCS-1 / J-1772 connection is removed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Battery Heating 1668868292528

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
And Ford just sent this lol

4233CD62-BAF5-4FDD-B83F-6061FE1C5EEF.png

Show some TLC
Getting that message while my truck is stuck at Ramp 51 sent my anxiety into overdrive. Then I remembered the entire country isn't buried under feet of snow at the moment and then it faded gradually back to frustration.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
So for “2) Keep your battery plugged in whenever possible.

Is there an ideal amperage to just keep it warm?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
So for “2) Keep your battery plugged in whenever possible.

Is there an ideal amperage to just keep it warm?
Yes - the truck uses it. It cannot be externally controlled.
Sponsored