• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Charging Limit Problem

colonel K

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-250 superduty
Occupation
retired
I have a FCSP set at 60 amps. When I start a charge, I go to the center console and set up the charge limit to 80%. The Lightning then computes a finish time for the charge. The problem is that the Lightning ignores the limit and continues to charge to 100%.

I took the Lightning up to the Minnesota Boundary Waters and left it plugged into a 110v outlet at the outfitter for four days. This time I set the limit to 90%, but, again, the lightning charged to 100%. So it doesn't matter what charger I use, the Lightning ignores my attempts to limit the charge session.

Does anyone have this problem and is there a setting that I need to useto fix it?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I have a FCSP set at 60 amps. When I start a charge, I go to the center console and set up the charge limit to 80%. The Lightning then computes a finish time for the charge. The problem is that the Lightning ignores the limit and continues to charge to 100%.

I took the Lightning up to the Minnesota Boundary Waters and left it plugged into a 110v outlet at the outfitter for four days. This time I set the limit to 90%, but, again, the lightning charged to 100%. So it doesn't matter what charger I use, the Lightning ignores my attempts to limit the charge session.

Does anyone have this problem and is there a setting that I need to useto fix it?

Thanks for your help!
Have you checked your ”Preferred Charge Settings” in your FordPass App?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure the charge limits apply to 110v charging. That still does leave the FCSP. Agree with @Firestop as a first step

OP
OP

colonel K

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-250 superduty
Occupation
retired
I'm not sure the charge limits apply to 110v charging. That still does leave the FCSP. Agree with @Firestop as a first step
I set the limit in the FordPass App to 85%. It still charged to 100% using the FCSP.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've found some similar problems with my own home scheduled charging. What I think I've found that solves my own situation is to set the truck FIRST, then turn the truck OFF, and then plug in. That may not be the answer, but I'll admit that charging to a 'level' should not be so aggravating and cumbersome - Ford, just make it SIMPLE. Period. Press a button and it works. Stop with the 'screens' and other nonsense that you must get thru just to do something so simple.
The app seems to have some possibilities, but I've been just as confused by it, too. It will say 'return to your scheduled charge', or something similar, and yet the truck will start charging immediately, although the 'schedule' says to only start at 11pm, etc. It's just too complicated.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Have you checked your ”Preferred Charge Settings” in your FordPass App?
This! You need to set and save preferred charge setting for each location. You can only do it after having charged at that location for a couple of minutes.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
This! You need to set and save preferred charge setting for each location. You can only do it after having charged at that location for a couple of minutes.
So I take it “this” was what caused your issue? I personally find the FordPaas software a little clunky. The other day I connected my truck to my FCSP that is set by location in my FordPass app to to normally limit charging to 90%.

After connecting to the charger, I got in my truck and directed it to charge to 100% for that session on the Sync interface. I’ve been having truck modem connection issues for which I’ve got an upcoming service appointment to troubleshoot, so I decided to override the 90% limit from within the truck.

The next morning, I get in the truck…..at 90% SoC….😡. That functionlaity doesn’t make sense…but, lesson learned.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
There is also the option of a one-time charge limit that ignores location settings. I think that’s what the OP is using even though he hasn’t specifically stated.
According to the manual, if you set a one-time limit during AC charging, it is supposed to take effect for the current session.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I ran into a problem just yesterday, again.

For some unknown reason, and with the SAME EXACT scheduled 11pm to 7am settings on the weekdays as the weekends, I plug in the truck on a Friday night at 7pm, expecting the truck to hold off charging until 11pm - but, NO, the truck allows the charging to start RIGHT THEN. Can't figure out 'why' this happens, or even how to change it's handling of this change, EVEN if deleting the schedule, turning off the truck, plugging back in to 'charge now' for a minute, then add the location, add the SCHEDULE, turn the truck off, verify that the Ford Pass app shows the same new schedule, plug in, and, NO... IT STILL TRIES TO START CHARGING RIGHT THEN, no matter what.
Can't figure out this design by Ford's engineers - it's cumbersome and aggravating, and should be simple and easy. My wife's car has no problem with scheduled charging, but the Lightning - NO.

I have to WAKE UP at 11pm and remember to tell the Ford Pass app to 'START' charging, otherwise, after telling it to STOP charging at 7pm, it would NEVER reingage at 11pm, like the schedule says, EVEN if you tell the app to 'return to schedule'...

Every time I think I've 'figured out' the issue, it arises again. I'm not even sure why we owners are required to 'figure out' how this works!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If using 110v, it will ignore schedule and start immediately because it believes it cannot finish during scheduled hours.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
If using 110v, it will ignore schedule and start immediately because it believes it cannot finish during scheduled hours.
I have been on 120v mobile charger since the start, and only once got my recently implemented TOU schedule to work correctly last Thursday afternoon.

I deleted the prior home location charging strategy which was properly configured to 90%.

Plugged in 13:30, set the new home strategy for a National Grid Mass TOU of 21:00 to 13:00 weekday schedule.

The lightning suspended charge activity paused shortly afterward on its own with a message on the dashboard display and Ford Pass that it would resume per the scheduled time frame at 21:00 hours.

That evening it resumed charging and finished at 08:12, I unplugged at 08:16 Friday as we were heading out to breakfast in my wife's ICE vehicle

I did not drive the lightning Friday or Saturday, 48 hours later only 1% drop in SOC.

Sunday took Lightning to breakfast and errand, then parked her, plugged in and the charging started immediately, no limited time frames for Saturday or Sunday.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I think I'm finding some of the reasons:

on 'Schedule Charge' settings, you provide a 'window' of time, such as mine at 11pm to 7am, the lowest cost GA POWER timeframe, and usually enough to bring the battery charge up to 90%(which you can also set differently)...

BUT... here's the kicker: if you plug in and expect it to simply WAIT until 11pm, you might find it starting to charge immediately, instead. I've found the culprit by playing around with the PERCENTAGE of Charge setting. Rather than using 90%, I chose 50%. It SOLVED the problem. The truck is plugged in, and it is NOT charging, and the app says it is 'waiting to charge' via the schedule.

O.k., but why does this happen? Why can't I tell it that I might normally want a final charge of 90%, yet if there are not enough 'hours' between 11pm and 7am to accomplish that, it simply starts at 11pm and gets as much as it can to 7am... but, NO, it does not. The system calculates how much you need, and, REGARDLESS of your HOURS for Charge setting, it may start IMMEDIATELY.

I DON'T LIKE THAT.

If I want the truck to charge immediately, then I already have a way to tell it to do just THAT.... I don't want a 'schedule' and yet have it OVERRIDE that and charge on it's own.

So, in the end, at least until FORD sends an OTA of other options, you must WAIT to plug in your truck at 11pm, yourself, if you only want it to start charging then, if the battery would have otherwise been too 'low' for the 'Schedule' hours to charge it to the 'Percentage' you chose.
OR, you must CHANGE your 'Schedule hours' ending hour to compensate for the time, and then UNPLUG it yourself, at 7am, etc. Crazy.. It SHould NOT be This complicated!

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
In my experience connecting my local utility company via the app auto-generates a schedule within Fordpass, the app has always displayed 'paused' until the preset hours (10pm-12pm).

Luckily as a backup I've also linked the utility company with my ChargePoint charger which prevents charging outside the scheduled window. Haven't had an issue with charging beyond the 90% at my home station...curious if you can link your utility company through FordPass to help.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
This issue arises when the truck thinks that it NEEDS to override your own schedule because you are asking it to charge to a certain percentage, within the scheduled hours, EVEN if the truck has to start EARLY. Sometimes MANY MANY hours early.
I don't want it to do that, I simply want it to charge within the scheduled hours NO MATTER whether the truck thinks it can reach the charge percentage, or not.

Essentially, I'd like the ability to just tell the truck to use the scheduled hours to charge, NO MATTER WHAT LEVEL it reaches. I can control, on a one-off basis, if I think I need it to charge sooner, or later, myself.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
This issue arises when the truck thinks that it NEEDS to override your own schedule because you are asking it to charge to a certain percentage, within the scheduled hours, EVEN if the truck has to start EARLY. Sometimes MANY MANY hours early.
I don't want it to do that, I simply want it to charge within the scheduled hours NO MATTER whether the truck thinks it can reach the charge percentage, or not.

Essentially, I'd like the ability to just tell the truck to use the scheduled hours to charge, NO MATTER WHAT LEVEL it reaches. I can control, on a one-off basis, if I think I need it to charge sooner, or later, myself.
What charger are you using?
Sponsored