• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning FDRS Update

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Yesterday, I updated my Lightning with the only software listed on the update page. It was for the OBCC module. I checked again today and found an update available for the Gateway Module. Anyone know what the GWM update is for? It took a long time to download. Wouldn't think the tire pressure recall would require such a large file.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just a friendly warning. Mach-E owners that are FDRS updaters have found, more than once, that they updated a module only to see Ford yank the update back off the servers, and then later put out a different one. In short, you may not want to be on the bleeding edge, you may want to wait days/weeks before doing a newly discovered update.

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Just a friendly warning. Mach-E owners that are FDRS updaters have found, more than once, that they updated a module only to see Ford yank the update back off the servers, and then later put out a different one. In short, you may not want to be on the bleeding edge, you may want to wait days/weeks before doing a newly discovered update.
Very good advice, however if Ford will step up and get these updates tested and out the door we wouldn't have to want to go get them ourselves. Their history is to NEVER update anything in a vehicle that isn't a recall or saftey issue. They just have never done it (I realize that OTA updates are new in the recent 4 years or so for them). A vehicle ran all its life with the same software even if it was in for service, they were never updated.

They have to step it up - when there are bugs and improvements made to these modules, they should get them tested (and that shouldn't take months) and then send out an update - at least once every 30 to 60 days.

They already have a long list they need to be working on. So it will be interesting to see how long they sit on these.

I get the bleeding edge issue though.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
This vehicle is essentially a big computer, and I am in IT (Linux Engineer). With that said, as much I enjoy tinkering with stuff, I will leave certain updates alone. Just my luck I update and brick the module.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bandit216

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Well, both modules updated fine for me. I didn't notice any obvious vehicle improvements so I'm guessing they are designed to address some "one off" issues Ford has observed.

Last edited:
  • Love

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

ryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
sedan
Well - something is broke or Ford wouldn't be updating the modules.
If it's not something you notice and it's not something broken that Ford/others are making a big thing about, I'd hold off. With 100+ modules in these things I don't think anyone can fully test changes-- a small fix somewhere might break some other module unexpectedly.

To whoever wants to live on the bleeding edge of module updates, caveat emptor.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
So yeah...as @GDN posted the GWM is the network controller for the vehicle. When new functionality is about to be released it often requires that the GWM gets updated along with the vehicles TCU (telematics modem) to enable the future features to work properly (remember they said PAAK was coming soon....). This is why whenever module programming is done by a tech the rule of thumb is to do any GWM and TCU updates before any other programming.

There are fail-safes and instructions on how to recover modules that got corrupted or left blank during the programming process for things like a loss of connection from the laptop, LVB state of charge issues or voltage dropping below 10.0V, loss of internet connection, or loss of connection to the vehicle during communication or programming. These instructions are in nearly every TSB published where module programming is discussed.

There have been instances where Ford released an update and then pulled it back. And then released the corrected update. There have been zero cases where this left a car "bricked".

Having the correct equipment setup the correct way and following basic instructions and best practices will result in positive outcomes in virtually all cases.

If it's too scary or you're not comfortable then don't attempt this. Nobody said you had to.

Ford has learned a lot in the last year with support for the Mach-E. Both the good and the bad.

And they seem to have been applying what they've learned to the Lightning.

I have zero problem with the concept of applying every single update that comes along to both my Mach-E and my Lightning. And I've never had any issues.

Mike

Last edited:
  • Love

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
There have been instances where Ford released an update and then pulled it back. And then released the corrected update. There have been zero cases where this left a car "bricked".
This is generally true for production updates, which have release processes testing for the basics. In 10 years, no production updates have ever resulted in non-functioning items in my Teslas (other than nerfing features when NHTSA whines).

Beta / "Early Access" can be another matter, though. I once had an EAP version of software that rendered the car unable to charge, with the red ring of death on the charge port. Another OTA the very same day and we were working again.

You're probably safe to the point where you wouldn't brick the car applying any production updates that are available - as to whether they're desirable for you, though, that's another matter. :)

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is generally true for production customers too. In 10 years, no production updates have ever resulted in non-functioning items in Tesla (other than nerfing features when NHTSA whines).

Beta / "Early Access" can be another matter, though. I once had an EAP version of software that rendered the car unable to charge, with the red ring of death on the charge port. Another OTA the very same day and we were working again.

You're probably safe to the point where you wouldn't brick the car applying any production updates that are available - as to whether they're desirable for you, though, that's another matter. :)
FDRS only offers production updates in the software updates list.

You don't get offered "beta" versions. Have they made mistakes and sent out the wrong version? Yes, but it was discovered within hours and correction applied.

And for the "if it ain't broke folks", I understand. I get it.

OBCC update was intended to fix a problem some people were having with certain DCFCs. Do we all need it? Dunno yet. I haven't charged up at that particular provider's sites. Am I ready just in case I do? Yes I am.

PCM, BECM, SOBDMB and SOBDMC updates are intended to apply the exact same HVJB contactor early warning and analysis for the Lightning that the Mach-E recently got those updates for. Do I want my truck to monitor for arcing, or resistance across contactor points, and provide the mothership info about the health of my HVJB as well as letting me limp it back to a dealer for repair if the HVJB contacts get welded shut or smoked to an open contactor condition? Why yes. Yes I do.

These are pre-emptive precautionary module updates as far as I'm concerned. It takes very little deductive reasoning to come to the conclusion that these are things that should be updated for the longevity of your truck.

Have a great week, (unless you had other plans of course...)

Mike

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yesterday, I updated my Lightning with the only software listed on the update page. It was for the OBCC module. I checked again today and found an update available for the Gateway Module. Anyone know what the GWM update is for? It took a long time to download. Wouldn't think the tire pressure recall would require such a large file.
Regarding the Tire Pressure Recall....if you check your online asbuilt to see if the correct hex values are there for the size of your wheels/tires you can just do a BCM config, and it will put those values into your BCM and voila you've just done the recall. Then just wait for the OTA or whatever to clear it automagically, or have your dealer do it the next time you're there. Mine originally had a hex value of "2" which is 35 PSI when it should have been "2A" which is the correct 42 PSI for my wheel/tire combo. I found the values had already been updated in my asbuilt by Ford about a month ago, so I just did the BCM config to stick them into the BCM. That's all the tech was going to do to for that recall anyway.

Link

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
If it ain't broke, improve it. This is the selling point that automakers use when advertising their new vehicle supports OTA updates. They don't mention "this allows us to sell you a beta product and fix it later."

There is a giant pile of requests for improvements. Occasionally there might improvements that sneak in with the bug fixes, and it'd be nice to have them earlier (or at all).
Sponsored