• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
@FordVideoGuy Tim Bartz mentioned on his Tuesday night podcast that due to a shortage of the 20" all season tires, the order guide and build and price have been updated to default the All Terrain tires on Lariats and high trim XLT's.

Just a reminder the 20" All Terrain tires reduce GVWR and Payload by 150 pounds on the Extended Range models) compared to the all season tires.
20" All Terrain tires GVWR = 8,400 pounds.
20" All Season tires GVWR = 8,550 pounds.
This change actually affects the 4th character in the VIN. 1FT6... = GVWR>8,500 pounds. 1FTV.... = GVWR < 8,500 pounds.

The 20" all terrain tires have a recommended inflation pressure of 36 psi. The 20" all season tires have a recommended inflation pressure of 42 psi. I think it is this difference that triggers the GVWR change.

There is a thread from this spring regarding this difference and the impact it has on the Massachusetts MASS More EV tax credit (no credit for vehicles below 8,501 GVWR. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...n-reduces-lightning-gvwr-by-150-pounds.10227/

Now defaulting:
Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 Lightning with 20" wheels now only shipping with All-Terrain tires (at no cost) 1667488185070

Edit: Just to clarify, this only impacts the Extended Range GVWR. The SR GVWR will be 8,250 pounds in both Lariat and XLT trims.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
AT tires also generally get worse MPG/MPkW than all season tires.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'd imagine it's the load rating of the tire and not the inflation pressure that makes the difference. In other words, increasing the inflation pressure on the AT tire probably isn't going to regain that 150lbs.

The AT tire on the lightning is not a particularly aggressive tread it's much closer to the all season tread than something like a K02 tire is. Yes there will be some range loss, but I'm not sure it's going to be a huge amount. I know there's some videos out there of a comparison between the 20" all season and something like a K02, but I don't know if there's a comparison with the factory 20" AT, but I bet someone out there has made one.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Has anyone compared the ride of the all season tires vs all terrain tires?

I've only had my Lightning 2 days, but the ride seems a bit stiff/rough to me. It could be normal for a truck..its been years since I drove a pickup regularly and my other vehicle is a Buick station wagon(super soft ride).

Trying to decide if there is a way to soften the ride just a bit. I will not be carrying heavy loads. Current OEM all seasons are at 44psi cold. I wondering if all terrain at 36psi is any softer. Or perhaps another brand all season?

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AT tires also generally get worse MPG/MPkW than all season tires.
Ford has never distinguished range differences between the all season and all terrain tires. I'm sure there is a difference especially with the inflation pressure difference between the two different tire styles. Although the Hankook all terrain tires as noted by @astricklin do not have an aggressive all terrain appearance.

Sponsored
OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I've only had my Lightning 2 days, but the ride seems a bit stiff/rough to me. It could be normal for a truck..its been years since I drove a pickup and my other vehicle is a Buick station wagon(super soft ride).

Trying to decide if there is a way to soften the ride just a bit. I will not be carrying heavy loads. Current OEM all seasons are at 44psi cold. I wondering if all terrain at 36psi is any softer. Or perhaps another brand all season?
I'm not a good comparison. My Lightning has one of the softest rides in a truck I've ever experienced. But, I went from 22 years of F-250 ownership with solid axles and E rated tires to the Lightning. Anything is going to seem soft compared to my previous trucks.

I would not recommend lowering the tire pressure below the factory numbers.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Ford has never distinguished range differences between the all season and all terrain tires. I'm sure there is a difference especially with the inflation pressure difference between the two different tire styles. Although the Hankook all terrain tires as noted by @astricklin do not have an aggressive all terrain appearance.
Inflation has no impact, because each tire has an inflation pressure that is designed for it to best perform. What does have an impact is rolling resistance (which you can argue is impacted by inflation pressure), as well as weight. Since an AT tire has more resistance, and more weight, it's going to result in lower miles per kWh. Whether you can notice that in unscientific driving is unknown.

@greenne, I would make sure the 44psi matches the doorjamb sticker.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I'm not a good comparison. My Lightning has one of the softest rides in a truck I've ever experienced. But, I went from 22 years of F-250 ownership with solid axles and E rated tires to the Lightning. Anything is going to seem soft compared to my previous trucks.

I would not recommend lowering the tire pressure below the factory numbers.
I think the recommended pressure for the all seasons is 42psi so I won't go lower than that. Just wonder how a 36psi all TERRAIN tire is going to feel vs the all season.

PS-- I live in upstate NY so the roads are crap. Also I'm not opposed to better traction tires esp in the snow.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Thank you Bryan @p52Ranch for the heads up!!

The change has a huge impact to qualifying for the MOR-EV-TRUCK rebate in Massachusetts!
If there is nothing that can be done, I want those order makers to be aware as it could be a deal breaker for some people.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired

I've only had my Lightning 2 days, but the ride seems a bit stiff/rough to me. It could be normal for a truck..its been years since I drove a pickup regularly and my other vehicle is a Buick station wagon(super soft ride).

Wow this is the first time I have heard of a Lightning being stiff/rough. If anything it’s too soft.

Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
I think the recommended pressure for the all seasons is 42psi so I won't go lower than that. Just wonder how a 36psi all TERRAIN tire is going to feel vs the all season.

PS-- I live in upstate NY so the roads are crap. Also I'm not opposed to better traction tires esp in the snow.
They probably won't feel much different. The AT tire option from Ford isn't much of a true all-terrain offering. Sometimes going with an all-terrain tire can be a bit more spongey or even bouncy, but they're usually noisier and impact range/MPG.

If you're looking to soften up your ride, that usually requires some suspension modifications. There may be some options for this in the future from aftermarket sources. You might be able to get a small bit of softness by switching to an 18" wheel so you have larger sidewall on your tires. That said, some of this is just the nature of a truck. They're not going to ride the same way your station wagon does. And yet the Lightning rides really well for a full size pickup. The only truck I've experienced that rides better, IMO, is the Rivian R1T. But it's a smaller truck and every bit as expensive, similar range until their max pack option comes out in 2024.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
So switching to Cooper AT3’s and lower offset wheels did not feel that much different from stock to be honest. Unfortunately due to the offset of the wheels I purchased my range suffered as a result but I would like to try stock wheels on AT3’s and Im hoping there is no range loss. I know for sure as far as comfort there will be no difference.

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Ford Motor Company Would you pass the 20” all season tire issue up the chain at Ford? Purchasers of ER Lightnings in Massachusetts will miss out on a $7500 state tax rebate because Ford switches out the 20” tires without notifying anyone. Perhaps there are other alternatives which would keep the 8,500 pound GVWR in play on the ER trucks.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Any Massachusetts members still waiting to order a Lariat-ER or Platinum or be assigned a build week for either of these trucks should consider talking to their salesman for strategies to delay production, (ex) setting an order priority of 99 to block the factory scheduler from selecting your build for production until the tire shortage is alleviated.

VTRedWingsFan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Escape
Occupation
IT delivery
For what its worth, I just got assigned to 12/19 this past Thursday and my VIN begins with 1FT6.
Sponsored