• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning PRO trim -- what are the must have options from the factory?

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Yes, I know there are only few hundred of them….
I am thinking the onoboard power upgrade and the bed spray liner. Not sure about the max tow but leaning towards the tech package as well…
Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I am thinking the onoboard power upgrade and the bed spray liner. Not sure about the max tow but leaning towards the tech package as well…
Personally, I'm going with:

Max Tow : Not only does it offer higher towing (which is good for resale, even if you don't use it), it also adds additional battery cooling capacity, which seems good to have.

Onboard Power upgrade to 9.6kW : 240V plug in the bed is pretty useful for RVs, tools, charging another EV, etc.

That's it.

I would probably do the spray-in bed-liner, BUT I don't want to risk that somehow being a bottleneck for production. I'm just going to either do it later or buy the bed mat. Had one of those in an older F-150 and it was pretty nice.

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
I would do Max Tow which makes you pick pro power 9.6kw anyway, and Tow Technology for the 360 camera (big vehicle). If you plan to use it as a truck one of the bedliners/mats should be a choice as well.

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
Pro power: I plan to use it as a home backup through a manual transfer switch. I am afraid Sunrun will charge more than $10k to install the bi directional charger. The cost to install a home battery is about $10k in addition to the cost of the battery itself. Also, pro power is required for max tow.

Tow technology: mainly for the 360 camera. Backup assist and in bed scales are nice too.

Max tow: I won’t be towing a lot. The range will be too limited. But I don’t have any other vehicle that can tow. I’ll rent an RV trailer a few times to go camping within 100 miles of my house.

Tailgate step: probably

Bedliner: still undecided

Last edited:
OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Good options.
I need to keep the price below 45k to get state tax exemption. So might lose Bedliner and max two but will keep tech and pro power…

Sponsored

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
You are lucky, my max MSRP for state rebate is 42k. Basically nothing but the base Pro. Driving me nuts.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
+ Max Tow (with Pro Power).

+Integrated Brake Controller
You will want the Ford Integrated Brake Controller. Another thread said you can have the dealer order the part and add that without spending $1900 for the complete Tow Tech package.

+Bed Liner
I prefer a hard plastic drop-in liner which is not offered in the factory config tool on the Pro. My dealer says they can get it from Ford, though, so another dealer add.
Or if you prefer, opt for the Spray-In Liner.

+Extra Key Fob
Extra key fobs are something I would typically add to a vehicle purchase, but reading the user manual, there appears to be a way to program a backup code into the truck in case of a lost key. Not sure if that functionality depends on the Phone as Key option or is even available on the Pro.
Also, you would still need to get the door unlocked, so would need the Securicode Pad which is not offered on the Pro, but rumored to be able to be added. Is Phone as Key even available on the Pro? After investigating all that, probably instead just go back and get and extra key or two from the dealer.

+Charge Station to Install in Garage
The Ford one seems OK, but a bit of a price hike.
3rd Party Level 2 Charge Stations are available at lower price points with marginally better features.

3rd Party stuff to add:
+BuiltRight Rear Seat Latch strap

+Tow bar and 2" hitch ball. Also 1-7/8" ball if needed.

+Set of Blizzak snow tires (if you live in MN or other northern states).

+Cargo straps, flashlight, hand cleaner, a couple of clean rags, small tool kit, recovery strap, jumper cables, fire extinguisher, 12v tire pump, phone charging cable, work gloves, helper work gloves, 4-way lug wrench, duck tape, hockey tape, a tarp with bungees, rain coat, baseball hat, window scraper/snow broom, small shovel, warm winter hat, gloves, fleece sweater, wool socks, clean t-shirt, deodorant, breath mints, bottled water, spare sunglasses, pens, sharpie, notepad, 1st aid kit, bug spray, sunscreen, trash bags, and some emergency cash.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
For me the most important was the Tow Tech Package. Bumper sensors and 360 camera are something that once you have, it's hard to go back. Trailer brake controller is nice too.

Max Tow I decided to get, even though I won't be towing...just want the extra cooling.

I also got the tailgate step, I have it on my current truck and have used it quite a bit more than I expected.

Mobile Power cord is a waste, it's not worth $500.

Truck comes with 2 keyfobs, I don't need more than that.

Last edited:

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
For me the most important was the Tow Tech Package. Bumper sensors and 360 camera are something that once you have, it's hard to go back. Trailer brake controller is nice too.

Max Tow I decided to get, even though I won't be towing...just want the extra cooling.

I also got the tailgate step, I have it on my current truck and have used it quite a bit more than I expected.

Mobile Power cord is a waste, it's not worth $500.

Truck comes with 2 keyfobs, I don't need more than that.
The two tech package with the sensors and cameras was a really nice option to the truck, I think this also gives you the LEDs under the sideview mirrors which is great at night. I've also used the step way more than expected.

I pretty much added everything that couldn't be added aftermarket and don't regret it at all.

JustB

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
The two tech package with the sensors and cameras was a really nice option to the truck, I think this also gives you the LEDs under the sideview mirrors which is great at night. I've also used the step way more than expected.

I pretty much added everything that couldn't be added aftermarket and don't regret it at all.
Can the tailgate step be added later? I know they have after market ones but I’m curious about the oem one?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
As a Pro owner...

I got
- Max Tow, not sure I need it but it wasn't really that much of an add on and with batteries more thermal management is always a good thing.
- Pro Power Onboard is what I really wanted.

Didn't get and regret:
- Tow Tech

Didn't need the trailer brake controller or scales or anything else. But the included zone lighting and 360 cameras are useful and important if you plan on playing with Forscan to try to enable other features.

As an example, I grabbed OEM running boards but the lights don't work because I don't have Tow Tech which enables the lighting.

Bedliner - didn't get. Don't regret it tremendously. I ended up getting a dual liner so in hindsight I probably should have added it but it's low on my list as that can always be added later.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
My Pro has Max Tow, Tow Tech, spray liner, and tailgate step. You can’t easily add anything but the spray liner after the fact. The 360 cameras and other bits from the tow tech are very welcome.

+ Max Tow (with Pro Power).

+Integrated Brake Controller
You will want the Ford Integrated Brake Controller. Another thread said you can have the dealer order the part and add that without spending $1900 for the complete Tow Tech package.

+Bed Liner
I prefer a hard plastic drop-in liner which is not offered in the factory config tool on the Pro. My dealer says they can get it from Ford, though, so another dealer add.
Or if you prefer, opt for the Spray-In Liner.

+Extra Key Fob
Extra key fobs are something I would typically add to a vehicle purchase, but reading the user manual, there appears to be a way to program a backup code into the truck in case of a lost key. Not sure if that functionality depends on the Phone as Key option or is even available on the Pro.
Also, you would still need to get the door unlocked, so would need the Securicode Pad which is not offered on the Pro, but rumored to be able to be added. Is Phone as Key even available on the Pro? After investigating all that, probably instead just go back and get and extra key or two from the dealer.

+Charge Station to Install in Garage
The Ford one seems OK, but a bit of a price hike.
3rd Party Level 2 Charge Stations are available at lower price points with marginally better features.

3rd Party stuff to add:
+BuiltRight Rear Seat Latch strap

+Tow bar and 2" hitch ball. Also 1-7/8" ball if needed.

+Set of Blizzak snow tires (if you live in MN or other northern states).

+Cargo straps, flashlight, hand cleaner, a couple of clean rags, small tool kit, recovery strap, jumper cables, fire extinguisher, 12v tire pump, phone charging cable, work gloves, helper work gloves, 4-way lug wrench, duck tape, hockey tape, a tarp with bungees, rain coat, baseball hat, window scraper/snow broom, small shovel, warm winter hat, gloves, fleece sweater, wool socks, clean t-shirt, deodorant, breath mints, bottled water, spare sunglasses, pens, sharpie, notepad, 1st aid kit, bug spray, sunscreen, trash bags, and some emergency cash.
The third key is easily programmed at home with a key I bought for $65 online, no need to go through the dealer for this. A locksmith or any dealer can cut the blade with your key code (dealer can give you the key code) Instructions are in the owners manual. These guys are out of stock, but it’s the right part number.

https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/ford-nl3t-15k601-db-oem-4-button-key-fob-m3n-a3c054338/

I just ordered the parts to add the door keypad on my Pro. Total cost is about $120 with shipping then I’ll program at home with forscan. There are also vendors on eBay selling the template to cut your door trim for the keypad for $40. The keypad portion is on intergalactic backorder due to chips. My buddy who runs a Ford parts department in Scottsdale was able to find me a store in CA that showed them in stock, so I ordered two yesterday. Assuming I have a spare I’ll offer it for sale here. My cost on two shipped was $90.

The Builtright latch doesn’t seem entirely necessary on this truck. Once I knew where the OEM latch is and how to reach and manipulate it, I can consistently get it easily on the first try. I like Builtright and their products, but this time it seems like a waste of money. My 2020 Raptor was a different story, I needed the Builtright latch.

Some other thoughts on accessories:

I think aftermarket seat heaters are imperative on this EV. I’ll be adding some before winter. I’ll try DIY. The kits are less than $100.

I think step bars and some sort of at least front mud flaps are necessary to protect the paint. I added OEM steps off eBay and have Rokblokz mud flaps arriving today.

I ordered Weathertech floor liners, they were the only ones I found made for vinyl floors and come with adhesive pins to hold the front mats in place. Arriving today.

I ordered the Ford storage bins that bolt to the front of the rear seat brackets. Seem well worth the $39 cost. You could make your own from wood or other material, but I wanted a stock look.

E&G is supposed to be releasing their console safe next month. Compared to most it only takes up half the console. I will be ordering one when available.

I’ll be adding some Xpel PPF door edge guards, the roll of 1/2” material is $20 on Amazon and will do a dozen cars. I’m planning on DIY ceramic coating.
Sponsored