• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, and if it is I apologize for the dupe.

I just checked FDRS to see if there was anything available for the TPMS thing and instead noticed there is an OBCC update instead.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS Lightning_1-July-22_OBCC_Update

I did the screengrab so that the tooltip version would show up.

I'll fire up the Mongoose tomorrow and knock that out as well as FORSCANing the TPMS values to the correct "2A" values in the BCM for my Lariat AS tires.

Enjoy your weekend!

EDIT: Added version info:

Before updating the OBCC the version was LJ98-14G684-AM
Updated version is now LJ98-14G684-AN
Sponsored

Last edited:

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, and if it is I apologize for the dupe.

I just checked FDRS to see if thee was anything available for the TPMS thing and instead noticed there is an OBCC update instead.

Lightning_1-July-22_OBCC_Update.png

I did the screengrab so that the tooltip version would show up.

I'll fire up the Mongoose tomorrow and knock that out as well as FORSCANing the TPMS values to the correct "2A" values in the BCM for my Lariat AS tires.

Enjoy your weekend!
FYI from the MachE Forum.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/06-20-22-gwm-job2-obcc-job1-2-updates.18891/

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update went smoothly, took longer to setup the powersupply and laptop then it did to do the actual programming.

I also downloaded and ran the BCM config to put the updated (correct) tire pressures for my all season tires into the BCM so that TPMS will warn at the appropriate level. So it will be interesting to see if that recall drops off my FP. When I started back up the first time after the BCM config my left front tire was the only one showing pressure, the rest were "--". I realize they may have correctly registered after driving around for a few minutes but I just went and got the 315mhz training tool and did the "relearn" steps. All good.

Took the truck to an EA fast charger afterwards and started charging at around 71% and 140Kwh, and by the time it was at 90% I was seeing 37Kwh. I don't know how that compares to what others are seeing, I've never actually fast charged beyond 80% before. I did it today just to see what would happen.

Mike

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Mach-E is 44kW from 80 to 90%, then 34kW.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Update went smoothly, took longer to setup the powersupply and laptop then it did to do the actual programming.

I also downloaded and ran the BCM config to put the updated (correct) tire pressures for my all season tires into the BCM so that TPMS will warn at the appropriate level. So it will be interesting to see if that recall drops off my FP. When I started back up the first time after the BCM config my left front tire was the only one showing pressure, the rest were "--". I realize they may have correctly registered after driving around for a few minutes but I just went and got the 315mhz training tool and did the "relearn" steps. All good.

Took the truck to an EA fast charger afterwards and started charging at around 71% and 140Kwh, and by the time it was at 90% I was seeing 37Kwh. I don't know how that compares to what others are seeing, I've never actually fast charged beyond 80% before. I did it today just to see what would happen.

Mike
I don’t know if you have seen this from @OutofSpecKyle ….wish I could find the thread/post from which I got this Googlesheet link:

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Following some of the ICE forums we know that Ford will update the software for many modules, but they never push them nor really ever try to update them. The trucks are forever just lost in time and never get updates they could have.

I've got a lot of learning to do about FDRS, but is this an update you think Ford would push and update to the Lighting as part of a Power Up, or would this be the beginning of trucks just being left in the cold and never updated for this module?

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Following some of the ICE forums we know that Ford will update the software for many modules, but they never push them nor really ever try to update them. The trucks are forever just lost in time and never get updates they could have.

I've got a lot of learning to do about FDRS, but is this an update you think Ford would push and update to the Lighting as part of a Power Up, or would this be the beginning of trucks just being left in the cold and never updated for this module?
There is a (non-published) schedule. I know this from some of the postings on the Mach-E forums where there are folks who are "connected" in some way to Ford and have signed an NDA as part of whatever they do there, and they occasionally drop "hints" on things that are coming up, but are careful to not be really specific. I'm sure the Lightning will eventually get OTAs.

I'm quite sure there are forum members here as well who either work for Ford or are connected in some way (like contractors of some sort) and they may provide some hints as well. I'm sure there are more of them on the ICE forum at this point than on the Lightning forum though.

I will check FDRS routinely and advise if I see something pop up. I'm always on FDRS about my Mach-E anyway :giggle:. I also lookup VINs for folks so they will know how many updates they are 'behind'. You'd be surprised how many people have taken the FDRS plunge because of an inability to get the dealer techs to update their vehicles, or the techs do such a poor job that it engenders a feeling of "if you want something done right...". The latter is the camp I'm in.

I started using FDRS in late Mar as a direct result of not getting any traction on getting BlueCruise installed. Now I don't care if I ever get an OTA again. I just go to the dealer to do the 'service' on my electric vehicles (coolant check, tire rotation, alignment?) and for recalls. I let them sign off the recalls that were module updates that I did already. There are plenty of people on the Mach-E and ICE F-150 forums who are certified "module whisperers" that can help sort out any issue you may run across in doing programming updates with FDRS, so that is never a concern for me.

Have a great weekend!

Mike

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
From Ford email about TPMS recall
In addition to your dealer being able to update your vehicle now, Ford will also have the remedy available through a Ford Power‑Up software update in 30 days.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From Ford email about TPMS recall
In addition to your dealer being able to update your vehicle now, Ford will also have the remedy available through a Ford Power‑Up software update in 30 days.
Which is an option certainly. I don't usually get them because I live in an area where there is usually only two bars of AT&T to rub together (TCU uses AT&T to talk to Ford), and there is zero evidence that OTAs ever successfully deploy using the customer's home wifi, add to that the SOC of your LVB (12v battery) needs to be >80% when the logic checks it to see if it meets the criteria for kicking off an update, and it's a perfect storm for not getting OTAs.

OTAs, from empirical evidence, usually kick off when the vehicle is driving in an urban area with outstanding AT&T coverage and strength. Another factor is that while you're driving around, the HVB is recharging the 12v LVB so at that point it would be over the minimum 80% SOC necessary for the logic to 'approve' for the update to kick off.

I just find it easier at this point to do the updates myself rather than to rely on happening to be driving at the right time in a downtown area when an OTA happens to be available on Ford's OTA schedule.

Lots of variables there. FDRS seems to level all that out.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wanted to post a followup to the comments I made concerning the requirement for the state of charge of the 12v battery to be above 80% for an OTA to happen.

This is also the same requirement for programming modules with FDRS.

If I have driven my Mach-E or the Lightning the day before and either charged it that night or maybe didn't, when I hook up the charger/powersupply to do some programming the next morning and turn it on to show the charge of the battery it is invariably below 80% (usually shows 50-60%) and requires a brief charging period before I change over to powersupply mode and set the voltage to maintain 13.6 volts.

I don't know what it is that causes this state of charge to drop overnight but it happens on my Mach-E, the Lightning, and also happened on the '21 Powerboost I traded in for the Lightning.

I'm pretty sure this is a factor in why OTAs don't seem to happen when the car is parked overnight, even on the charger.

Mike

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Available as of this morning 23 July 22 is a GWM (gateway) module update that (assuming all Lightnings will get the same version) should bring it up to version ML3T-14H021-HMB (from previous ML3T-14H021-GCG version).

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS Lightning_GWM_23-July-22

I started the truck and moved it over to my workspace in prep to do the update and to allow the LVB to charge up a bit cause it's always below the 80% SOC after sitting overnight even on the EVSE. When I connected up the PL6100 after about 5 minutes of idling while got all the extension cords out it was still only at 75%. So I went and made coffee, and got the laptop connected. By that time it was at 85% so I set the PL6100 to powersupply mode at 13.9V and started the update.

GWM is a USB update. Formatted the drive, downloaded the files and plugged it into the USB port with the truck running.

After about a minute the USB was recognized:
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS IMG_3340

Then a couple of minutes later:
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS IMG_3341

Shutdown the truck, disconnected the Mongoose and left the laptop on the USB update confirmation screen (just leave it until you come back to confirm later), and left the USB drive in the port. Took the key with me, shutdown the PL6100 and went for more coffee with the key fob out of range of the truck, and waited for it to go to 'sleep'.

Came back after a while and started the truck. After a minute:
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS IMG_3342

Went back and confirmed on FDRS that the update was successful, and that prompted check and "PASS" for all the software packages, and then a module configuration, and then final steps to report success to the mothership.

Sometimes updating the GWM triggers another update for some other module as soon as it's reported complete. That didn't happen today and I hit the network refresh button a couple of times to make sure there wasn't anything else in the pipeline.

And before anyone asks, I don't know if this will come down as an OTA or not. So if you're keeping score, for Lightnings that have not been updated there should be two modules updates available, the OBCC from a few weeks ago and now the GWM.

Enjoy your weekend!

Mike

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Great info, I really appreciate these updates on the software changes.

I took a look at the costs of getting a FDRS setup and it was not cheap. Is there a budget way to get access to these updates and perform them?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

I took a look at the costs of getting a FDRS setup and it was not cheap. Is there a budget way to get access to these updates and perform them?
From the little I've read and kept up with, no cheap way. There was a cheaper cable, but it can't handle all of the modules and in fact started causing errors if you do certain functions. I think the right cable is in the $300 range and a 2 days license is $50 or you can get longer term license for more.

I've haven't gone this route either, will just have to wait and see how the updates come that Ford won't give us and we have to do ourselves.

Most of the guys that have done it look at it this way. You've got an $70K vehicle not running up to its potential. So the extra cost is negligible to get the most out of it. These were the guys that were promised Blue Cruise on the 2021 ICE, but Ford couldn't get them updated, due to bricked APIM's.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

You could pool resources with like minded folks who have newer Ford vehicles and share the cost of the equipment. In the Mach-E world there have been instances of weekend programming get-togethers.

Mike

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From the little I've read and kept up with, no cheap way. There was a cheaper cable, but it can't handle all of the modules and in fact started causing errors if you do certain functions. I think the right cable is in the $300 range and a 2 days license is $50 or you can get longer term license for more.

I've haven't gone this route either, will just have to wait and see how the updates come that Ford won't give us and we have to do ourselves.

Most of the guys that have done it look at it this way. You've got an $70K vehicle not running up to its potential. So the extra cost is negligible to get the most out of it. These were the guys that were promised Blue Cruise on the 2021 ICE, but Ford couldn't get them updated, due to bricked APIM's.
Where you live there are a bunch of folks who do this routinely. I'm sure you could work something out.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN