• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning suspension comparison to current F-150?

Wanderoften

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Mercedes Sprinter
I’m not very knowledgeable on suspension so this question is for those who are…. Based on the change to IRS/coils, what would be the most likely change to the ride quality in a Lightning compared to the current generation F-150? Thanks.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Not an expert, but I would expect better control over bumps, especially while turning (less wheel hop). If they did it properly, the ride will be less bouncy too.

Note, the fact that the Lighting is full time AWD and has a better weight distribution vs. and ICE F150 means traction will be much better.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Ditto on the bounce comment. Traditionally truck rear suspensions are long leaf suspensions that are optimized for heavy loads, making them bounce more without a heavy load.

The full time AWD should play a big role in overall handling, and Ford will likely tweak that with software updates as they collect data from both F-150 and Mach-e drivers.

The fact that the batteries are ridiculously heavy… and low will give us much better handling and grip. People who would normally put sandbags in the rear for better snow handling, especially while plowing will likely never need to do that any longer.

Also, that low and heavy center of gravity will make it hard to tip or roll over.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Agree - with the battery being heavy and low, coils all the way around, AWD, the lightning should handle like a beast. It should be smooth, comfortable and handle better than any other truck built. Collecting feedback from the trucks and updated SW should solve any problems if they will do that. The feedback from several thousand on the road will be invaluable.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Agree - with the battery being heavy and low, coils all the way around, AWD, the lightning should handle like a beast. It should be smooth, comfortable and handle better than any other truck built. Collecting feedback from the trucks and updated SW should solve any problems if they will do that. The feedback from several thousand on the road will be invaluable.
The cool thing is that the feedback is automatic, and not just from several thousand Lightnings. Each EV Ford makes sends data over the air about real world driving situations. So they’re also capturing data from all the Mach-e and soon to be made E series vans to work with.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Wanderoften

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Mercedes Sprinter
Thank you for the helpful replies. Those were the answers I was hoping for. Much appreciated.

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
Super low center of gavity, 4 corner intendent suspension and 3 tons. Im going to say its going to ride like a dream. Its going to understeer like a mofo if you try to dive into a corner like the Teslas because of the weight but the ride will be very nice.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The cool thing is that the feedback is automatic, and not just from several thousand Lightnings. Each EV Ford makes sends data over the air about real world driving situations. So they’re also capturing data from all the Mach-e and soon to be made E series vans to work with.
This is what they hope for, but you have to have the right sensors collecting the right data and you have to have a platform that will communicate well. Have you ventured over to the 200+ page forum of the guys updating their own 2021 trucks because Ford bricked them and has taken over a year to get even close to maybe having a fix out. Yeah - that same tech is what we will be driving. I know what it means to have a car that collects data and does updates to the mothership.

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
I’m not very knowledgeable on suspension so this question is for those who are…. Based on the change to IRS/coils, what would be the most likely change to the ride quality in a Lightning compared to the current generation F-150? Thanks.
Having driven a variety of IRS and solid rear axle/leaf spring vehicles over the years…You should see an improvement in ride quality with IRS, obviously at the rear. It’s particularly noticeable when you take an IRS vehicle over washboard roads and similar repetitive surfaces, they handle it noticeably more smoothly. The trade off is IRS has less articulation, so you’re more likely to cock a wheel up if you take the truck on a really uneven surface. Also, some heavy IRS vehicles I’ve driven seem to bottom out a tad easier onto the bump stops on large bumps, but that hasn’t been a universal experience for me.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
This is what they hope for, but you have to have the right sensors collecting the right data and you have to have a platform that will communicate well. Have you ventured over to the 200+ page forum of the guys updating their own 2021 trucks because Ford bricked them and has taken over a year to get even close to maybe having a fix out. Yeah - that same tech is what we will be driving. I know what it means to have a car that collects data and does updates to the mothership.
Just about every Ford has some sort of built-in mobile data connection, so Big Brother is collecting all sorts of data every day. They tend to push OTA updates out in waves so they can monitor the results on smaller batches before rolling them out to the masses. I tend to want the newest stuff right away and often wish I got updates on my Mach-e sooner than later.

Ford's version of Big Brother is still quite simple compared to Tesla. Tesla's been using their customer base for years to fine tune not only things like performance, braking and power distribution... they've been using the camera data to build simulations for their Full Automatic Driving.

It's so sophisticated that every time a human driver gets into an accident, they can simulate a bunch of alternative moves to teach their AI to recognize and prevent similar accidents in the future.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
ram has been on coils since 2009 and they've always had pretty good ride quality (for a truck).

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
I'm wondering how much extra weight the batteries add compared to a non-EV F150. I see in the eSourceBook for the Lightning that the "Base Curb Weight" for Lightning is 6171 lbs for SR and 6590 lbs for ER (420 lbs of extra battery weight in the ER). Does anybody know the base curb weight for a regular F150 with ICE engine?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I'm wondering how much extra weight the batteries add compared to a non-EV F150. I see in the eSourceBook for the Lightning that the "Base Curb Weight" for Lightning is 6171 lbs for SR and 6590 lbs for ER (420 lbs of extra battery weight in the ER). Does anybody know the base curb weight for a regular F150 with ICE engine?
@frautumn - Looks like we ordered the same '22 Lightning right down the color and battery.

As for the weight and the batteries lower down it's probably a good bet that the lower center of gravity will help with preventing rollovers ?
Sponsored