• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning suspension comparison to current F-150?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I love the ride of the new truck, however the front end feels a bit light like its missing an engine and I can feel it hop a bit :)

One thing I noticed too, is that the spring rates on the Platinum and the Lariat are different. That could also affect the ride somewhat.
This is an interesting find. I wouldn't have expected that, but will be interesting to know the true difference in parts and ride/drive.
Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I love the ride of the new truck, however the front end feels a bit light like its missing an engine and I can feel it hop a bit :)

One thing I noticed too, is that the spring rates on the Platinum and the Lariat are different. That could also affect the ride somewhat.
Do you have the spring rates for the different trucks? I thought I'd seen them somewhere but couldn't find them when I searched recently.

I'd have thought the spring rates would be different for the SR and ER trucks, but not between Platinum and Lariat.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
This is an interesting find. I wouldn't have expected that, but will be interesting to know the true difference in parts and ride/drive.
It was listed in the e-source book for the Lightning. Took me a bit to find it, but here it is.

I had the part numbers too and I copied the data from Oasis, but I don't have access anymore and I am not sure where I put it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning suspension comparison to current F-150? Screenshot 2022-07-27 111304

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
When reading about the truck earlier, I think I heard what I wanted to hear. I was so blown away at how responsive my Model S (with performance plus suspension) was. It is more responsive than my Miata with a lot of money in the suspension. I attributed a lot of the Tesla handling to the low CG, and with everyone saying the Lightning was "the best handling F150 ever" I got my hopes up for another slam dunk.

I'd be willing to trade off some payload for handling, and I'd even like to lower the truck a couple inches, but being a truck I know a lot of people will not want to sacrifice either of those. On the other extreme, I put Bilstein 5100s on my 98 Tacoma TRD and it made the truck ride like a shopping cart. It skipped across small bumps and it felt crashy on bigger impacts. Hopefully the aftermarket does a good job at creating a good compromise on the Lightning.
I never drove a Model S with performance plus suspension but the one that I drove for a couple of weeks was a boat and nowhere near Miata Club handling.

As far as the Lightning handling, it’s better than the ICE version, expecting more is unrealistic in stock from and I would say even with aftermarket parts. As we all know there is always a trade off when going aftermarket.

BTW, Eibach has a Lariat ER coming in for suspension bits

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Just traded in my 2018 platinum for the lightning extended range. Personally, I would have a hard time calling the lightning a better ride all things considered than my prior truck. At least for normal driving without any load, etc. That said, it is a different driving truck. The lightning suspension at times reminds me a bit of an old Lincoln town car, where bumps at speed cause the truck to float up and down like a boat.

on the point of the light front end, I’ll say that if you punch the lightning from a stop it’s a good idea to have two hands on the wheel and for the front end to suddenly become very light and want to seesaw back-and-forth a bit without some attention to the steering.

On the point of the suspension in the raptor, which is what I drove for years before my platinum, there’s not a pick up truck on the market that feels more comfortable at low speeds, high speeds, or hopping curbs or any other obstacle.

Sponsored

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
It was listed in the e-source book for the Lightning. Took me a bit to find it, but here it is.

I had the part numbers too and I copied the data from Oasis, but I don't have access anymore and I am not sure where I put it.

Screenshot 2022-07-27 111304.png
Interesting that the platinum gets stiffer springs, is it really that much heavier than a Lariat ER? I am actually planning to stiffen the front springs and shocks on mine, with bilstein 6112 coilovers that come with stiffer springs and ride height adjustment. Made for ICE F150's but we know they will fit.
Bilstein 47-323841 Bilstein B8 6112 Suspension Kits | Summit Racing
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning suspension comparison to current F-150? bsn-47-323841_fs_xl

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Interesting that the platinum gets stiffer springs, is it really that much heavier than a Lariat ER? I am actually planning to stiffen the front springs and shocks on mine, with bilstein 6112 coilovers that come with stiffer springs and ride height adjustment. Made for ICE F150's but we know they will fit.
Bilstein 47-323841 Bilstein B8 6112 Suspension Kits | Summit Racing
bsn-47-323841_fs_xl.jpg
It is a bit heavier as I recall, but I wonder if the wheels and wheel size have anything to do with it. I believe the both additional weight but moreso wheel size is why the Platinumhas less range than a Lariat

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
It is a bit heavier as I recall, but I wonder if the wheels and wheel size have anything to do with it. I believe the both additional weight but moreso wheel size is why the Platinumhas less range than a Lariat
Due to tires and rims I think. Plus other things in the truck related to it being a Platinum.

Also, from a base stand point, the Platinum appears to be more a balanced 50/50 truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning suspension comparison to current F-150? Screenshot 2022-07-27 145208

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning suspension comparison to current F-150? Screenshot 2022-07-27 145400

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I have had my F150L for 3 days now.
I know many of you are frustrated and tired of waiting but I hope to encourage you.
It’s really better than I imagined.
I watched/read a ton of reviews and none of them seem to capture how much more composed the Lightning is compared to the ICE truck. Maybe they were not driving the ICE and F150L back to back?
There is almost NONE of the normal head toss that comes with the rear axel/leaf springs.

I felt like the ICE truck came over sprung and underdamped. (Improved with 5100 bilsteins on rear)
This truck feels stiffer but matched to dampers.
My ICE payload is 1400 and the Lightning is 2044.
Its so composed that it feels much smaller to drive than the ICE truck.
The Lightning is far superior in every way except range: simple fact there is more energy in 30.6 gallons of gas than 98kW.

Stay strong.
Its an amazing ride and suspension set up.
It’s worth the wait.

F40210DD-CDBB-4A1F-AA99-3EC40BBAA6B8.jpeg
Yes I agree - the Lightning has much better rear suspension compared to the ICE solid axle w/ leaf springs.

I love how it rides - reminds me of the GMC Tahoe I used to drive.

Definitely like an SUV - not a typical pickup truck.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Yes I agree - the Lightning has much better rear suspension compared to the ICE solid axle w/ leaf springs.

I love how it rides - reminds me of the GMC Tahoe I used to drive.

Definitely like an SUV - not a typical pickup truck.
Which is exactly what my lower back appreciates but I do agree with others about the floaty front end. Waiting to see who’s the first to do Air Suspension.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tires and wheels are unsprung weight so I would not think they are the reason for the stiffer springs on the Platinum, but that's all I got. I suppose during a suspension impact the wheel/tire combo gets tossed around, and more mass means more energy to damp, but changing the spring rate for that presumably small change really seems like the tail is wagging the dog. Does anyone know if the Platinum uses the same shocks as well? I'm just baffled that the SR and ER trucks use the same suspension.

I am eager to hear what you guys think of your front end upgrades. You should swing by Northern VA when you're done! :D

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Tires and wheels are unsprung weight so I would not think they are the reason for the stiffer springs on the Platinum, but that's all I got. I suppose during a suspension impact the wheel/tire combo gets tossed around, and more mass means more energy to damp, but changing the spring rate for that presumably small change really seems like the tail is wagging the dog. Does anyone know if the Platinum uses the same shocks as well? I'm just baffled that the SR and ER trucks use the same suspension.

I am eager to hear what you guys think of your front end upgrades. You should swing by Northern VA when you're done! :D
I did a search on Ford Parts, and based on a VIN of my Platinum, and another VIN which is a Extended Range Lariat - they look the same. However if you notice "Traction Battery #2" so there might be a different version for a none ER version.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning suspension comparison to current F-150? plat

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What's that site? We could snag a SR VIN from one of the reservation threads and put it through that same query.
Sponsored