• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
What are the big practical pros and cons for the way you use yous?

Sponsored

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed

Biggest critique of this “How do they haul” assessment: no mention of the front but especially back seat shoulder/hip/leg room.

The F150L front searing room, and the back seat “hauling” area, are massive compared to the Rivian.

And a main thing *I* “haul” around are two, and soon to be three, toddlers in their car seats. (And before them, dogs, guns, saddles, furniture, etc., where the back seats fold up.)

The video spends some time espousing how the Rivian “gear tunnel” makes use of some “waisted” space in the F150Lc but fails to mention that the Rivian’s gear tunnel surely has something to do with its small back seat.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I found this on the web

I think the issues, from the perspective of an F150 owner, speak for themself

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning vs Rivian R1T Hauling - Cargo Carrying Comparison by Alex on Autos C3360DDA-3ED8-4C43-929B-33727D32C8A8

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I found this on the web

C3360DDA-3ED8-4C43-929B-33727D32C8A8.jpeg
Yup, I use that rear flat floor all the time. Was definitely a point against the Rivian.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I found this on the web

C3360DDA-3ED8-4C43-929B-33727D32C8A8.jpeg
I remember I went to test drive a Kia Soul EV and the sales man couldn’t get it started (I am not sure if he knew what an EV was) so I figured what the heck, let’s try that F150. It was the first time I saw the space in the back seat. when I flipped it up, it felt like a minivan inside the truck. I called the reluctant wife and she was sold the first minute of the drive; mostly for window visibility and hight (she like looking down on people).

All that said, there is an expense associated with that space. Rivian is shorter by the same amount and that could be the difference in getting a parking spot in the city and not getting it.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I wonder why they did it like that. My 25 year old RAM has a similar storage section but there's a fold-out that makes the floor flat.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I love Alex's reviews, but I think he's wrong about the gear tunnel occupying "wasted" space that you find in the f150. The gear tunnel clearly intrudes on the bed space and under the back seat space on the Rivian. There is clearly more space on the Lightning if you fold the seat up. I'm just not understanding where he gets that the f150 has wasted space...

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I'm just not understanding where he gets that the f150 has wasted space...
obvi agree, and to add: some reports I’ve seen from Rivian folks suggests that gear tunnel can be pretty awkward storage. The kitchen and similar pull out accessories is intriguing, but as a cargo hold it seems a bit of a forced idea.

wonder what @MNLightning thinks

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
obvi agree, and to add: some reports I’ve seen from Rivian folks suggests that gear tunnel can be pretty awkward storage. The kitchen and similar pull out accessories is intriguing, but as a cargo hold it seems a bit of a forced idea.

wonder what @MNLightning thinks
To me the gear tunnel is a gimmick. Just give me more space in the cab and/or space in the bed. With a frunk, more protected/covered storage seems unnecessary given the tradeoff, imo.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian passenger space is even less than compact SUVs like a RAV4. It is not a competitor to F150, they are so different.
True. They have completely different target audience but the similarity they have is more than they do with any other vehicle. What else other than hummer has a bed, battery and electric motor (without a gas tank)? Despite their differences I had reservation for both like so many others simply because there are not many other electric choices for a truck.

Last edited:

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer

Just watched this on YouTube and posted this comment there.

You left out THREE of my favorite F-150 cargo spaces.

1. The space under the F-150 back seat is pretty big, not to mention the space when the back seat is folded up.

2. The space in the F-150 center console is HUGE... it's as big as a small file cabinet with actual hanging file rails, so it's as wide enough and deep enough for hanging letter sized PendaFlex files. Rivian's center space is tiny.

3. F-150 has TWO glove compartments. The top one is smaller, but Rivian doesn't have ANY glove compartments. I'm taking delivery of my Lightning next week... but I should point out that those spaces are the same in my old ICE version too.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just watched this on YouTube and posted this comment there.

You left out THREE of my favorite F-150 cargo spaces.

1. The space under the F-150 back seat is pretty big, not to mention the space when the back seat is folded up.

2. The space in the F-150 center console is HUGE... it's as big as a small file cabinet with actual hanging file rails, so it's as wide enough and deep enough for hanging letter sized PendaFlex files. Rivian's center space is tiny.

3. F-150 has TWO glove compartments. The top one is smaller, but Rivian doesn't have ANY glove compartments. I'm taking delivery of my Lightning next week... but I should point out that those spaces are the same in my old ICE version too.
Congrats. Please give us am initial impression.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Congrats. Please give us am initial impression.
I’ll definitely do a video at some point from the perspective of an 8-Time Ford owner and current Mach-E driver’s perspective.
Sponsored