• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
I knew from camping that the truck is very easy to set up as a power station. Turn it on, enable pro power to the bed, flip the screens to "calm" mode. Screens stay on, but dimly lit so NBD.

Ran a single extension cord to the house and powered the following:
  • Heated blankets
  • Desktop computer
  • Microwave
  • Electric Kettle
  • Hue lamps
  • Charging phones, flash light, misc devices.
  • Google Fiber (these lines are almost always active even during power outages, if YOU can get power to your base station)
  • Princeton reverb tube amp and pedals
Battery usage during that 24h period: 8%

Needless to say, this truck is AWESOME!!

...Ok, time to finally unplug from the truck power. :D
Sponsored

Last edited:

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Yep, we had another of our big Ice storms, and almost brought the Lightning to the Mother in laws place, but her power restored. Just really nice to have something like this to use, and it looks like we're going to pass on the SunRun $10k+ system and just put a small transfer switch in to run from the bed as others have done.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I knew from camping that the truck is very easy to set up as a power station. Turn it on, enable pro power to the bed, flip the screens to "calm" mode. Screens stay on, but dimly lit so NBD.

Ran a single extension cord to the house and powered the following:
  • Heated blankets
  • Desktop computer
  • Microwave
  • Electric Kettle
  • Hue lamps
  • Charging phones, flash light, misc devices.
  • Google Fiber (these lines are almost always active even during power outages, if YOU can get power to your base station)
  • Princeton reverb tube amp and pedals
Battery usage during that 24h period: 8%

Needless to say, this truck is AWESOME!!

...Ok, time to finally unplug from the truck power. :D
Great report!! Thank you for sharing.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
yep, Sun is just too expensive. a whole house generator makes more since for that price. plus what good will it be to have it switch on automatically if wife is home and your at work?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The main thing I want Pro Power for is to save my Ice-Cream. I am surprised you didn't hook up your fridge.

Sponsored

JC688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Honda Odyssey, BMW M3, Porsche GT3, 911…..
I’m curious: Both the bed pro power and charging port are at 9.6kw. One is 30 amps while the other is 37.5 amps. Does the sunrun HIS produce that much more power than the bed hookup with generac port?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Yep, we had another of our big Ice storms, and almost brought the Lightning to the Mother in laws place, but her power restored. Just really nice to have something like this to use, and it looks like we're going to pass on the SunRun $10k+ system and just put a small transfer switch in to run from the bed as others have done.
Are there details on this small transfer switch you mentioned? I wanted to set up the Sunrun system for my cottage in WI, but can't justify the price. It is a small place with relatively low power consumption, so I would love a more cost effective solution to use the truck for power in the event of an outage that won't set me back multiple thousands of dollars.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I’m curious: Both the bed pro power and charging port are at 9.6kw. One is 30 amps while the other is 37.5 amps. Does the sunrun HIS produce that much more power than the bed hookup with generac port?
Yes, HIS: 9.6kW……Truck bed 240V/30A outlet: 7200kW.

You would need to assemble one or more separate 120V/20A circuit(s) from the Frunk and/or Cabin to tap the Pro Power’s remaining 2400W capacity.

The truck’s AC Pro Power is converted to AC by the truck from the HVB‘s DC and has 3 120V@20A circuits for a combined Power of 9.6kW (3*120V*20A):
  1. Frunk & interior - 2400W (120V*20A)
  2. Bed - 2400W (120V*20A)
  3. Bed - 2400W (120V*20A)
The two 120V/20A circuits feeding the bed outlets are combined to feed the 30A outlet @ 240V with a maximum available Power of 7200W (240V*30A).

When attempting to use the full capacity of the the Pro Power’s 9.6kW when using the 30A/240V outlet in the bed, the remaining capacity of 2400W is only available from the Frunk and cabin 120V/20A outlets….

The SunRun HIS is supplied DC from the HVB back through the FCSP and then over two DC conductors (not the AC supply conductors from your house breaker panel) to the HIS where the HIS converts it to AC with a maximum of 9.6 kW available from the truck.

Sponsored

JC688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Honda Odyssey, BMW M3, Porsche GT3, 911…..

You would need to assemble one or more separate 120V/20A circuit(s) from the Frunk and/or Cabin to tap the Pro Power’s remaining 2400W capacity.

The truck’s AC Pro Power is converted to AC by the truck from the HVB‘s DC and has 3 120V@20A circuits for a combined Power of 9.6kW (3*120V*20A):
The two 120V/20A circuits feeding the bed outlets are combined to feed the 30A outlet @ 240V with a maximum available Power of 7200W (240V*30A).

When attempting to use the full capacity of the the Pro Power’s 9.6kW when using the 30A/240V outlet in the bed, the remaining capacity of 2400W is only available from the Frunk and cabin 120V/20A outlets….

The SunRun HIS is supplied DC from the HVB back through the FCSP and then over two DC conductors (not the AC supply conductors from your house breaker panel) to the HIS where the HIS converts it to AC with a maximum of 9.6 kW available from the truck.
This is exactly what I needed to know.

GolfJRM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning (If it ever gets delivered)
Occupation
Teacher

Can the 240V handle the start up of a compressor for a home AC? After it starts it is way less than 30a

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
@GolfJRM There's been some discussion about his on other threads. The belief is that it can IF you have a soft start installed. I plan on putting a soft start on my A/C unit when I figure out how I'm going to get back up configured. I'll probably wait a year to see if we can use some of the new equipment coming out from Wallbox and Emporia.

GolfJRM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning (If it ever gets delivered)
Occupation
Teacher
@GolfJRM There's been some discussion about his on other threads. The belief is that it can IF you have a soft start installed. I plan on putting a soft start on my A/C unit when I figure out how I'm going to get back up configured. I'll probably wait a year to see if we can use some of the new equipment coming out from Wallbox and Emporia.
Thanks. That seems like a reasonable plan. I figured a soft start would be needed with how picky it sounds like the truck is
Sponsored