• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Loud fan noise

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
UPDATE: No leak was found on the AC, but they refilled the system, and added dye in case there is a leak. Sound is gone now. Gonna drive for a few days to see if anything emerges.

UPDATE 2: AC is definitely fixed. We're guessing the machine the other dealership used to refill the AC just failed. Truck AC is refilled correctly and working great now.
---------------

I searched, and didn't find anything.

Question: Do any of you have a loud fan noise on the EXTERIOR of your truck when the AC system is running (AC light OFF and even louder when AC light is on)?

Even with the AC compressor, I still have a loud humming on the outside.

I had another member match my settings, and his was perfectly quiet.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The battery & motor cooling system might be finishing up removing excess heat.
What is the air temp at the time at your location and were you just getting done driving?
Is the other member in the same area (temperature) ?
Is your truck in the midst of a software update?

OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I can back my truck out of the garage when it's cold, and when the AC compressor kicks on it starts the noise. My truck is currently having trouble with the air conditioner, it's not getting cold in the cabin at all. When I hit the AC button, it starts the noise, when I turn it off, it goes away.

Today, when I got back from a shortdrive, the 'auto' was on, but the AC button was not pressed, and it started the loud fan noise then too.

I was hoping someone else might be dealing with same issue. I'm going to have the dealership check it out next week.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Today, when I got back from a shortdrive, the 'auto' was on, but the AC button was not pressed, and it started the loud fan noise then too.
The chiller system activates to manage drive train temp's, the AC lamp does not need to be on for those occasions.

I hope they get to bottom of this problem, last report on the Lightning AC system failure / low performance was related to a defective component in the loop which was bleeding freon, the defect was replaced, system charged with replacement freon and resumed working normally, I forget who had the issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Here is a clip of the sound mine makes.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Intersting! Side note, I did have to fill up my coolant the other day, it was VERY low. I wonder if it's related?! I would love to see the thread you speak of.
I tried a search, no results, maybe some else will chime in with a first hand experience.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

That's much louder than I've ever heard on my truck , the frequency / tone is off as well, sounds like a dry running pump!!

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes

Sounds like someone getting their head shaved.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Our ER's with Max Tow have a second AC comp but this is an overview of the plumbing in a Mach-E which we assume is like our lightnings would have

Ford F-150 Lightning Loud fan noise 1673305278925

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Our ER's with Max Tow have a second AC comp but this is an overview of the plumbing in a Mach-E which we assume is like our lightnings would have

1673305278925.png
All Lightning's (SR and ER) with Max Tow have two compressors. The second compressor isolates the cabin temperature control system from the rest of the coolant loop.

That doesn't sound like anything I've heard on my truck...unfortunately, I'd take that to the dealer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Will let you guys know what they find out.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
All Lightning's (SR and ER) with Max Tow have two compressors. The second compressor isolates the cabin temperature control system from the rest of the coolant loop.

That doesn't sound like anything I've heard on my truck...unfortunately, I'd take that to the dealer.
I was just pointing out that we both have a similar configured truck and I've never heard sounds like that.

Another interesting fact of our forum publicly list orders 56 of 116 SR trucks [48%] added max tow to their trucks and 279 of 416 ER's [67%] also added max tow MY22

Thanks for the point of accuracy! ;):geek:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
By all means I would agree and say that is not a normal noise at all. I'm hoping your dealer can find and diagnose it quick.

I could be the truck that @TaxmanHog was thinking of. Back in the summer when it was just 3 weeks old I received a code. I had AC issues with the Max Tow AC unit. It became a mess with my dealer - 3 weeks and they thought they had it fixed. Several weeks later the same code. The second time around they claim that the Schrader valve was leaking and believe they may have even caused it from the first go round.

I never had a noise quite like you've recorded however.

I'm in the Dallas area if there are items that could be compared or tested. I figure this spring we'll need to get a meet up and see how many trucks we can get together.
Sponsored