• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Loud surge/boom and then electric static from speakers

Demoguy

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Issue resolved, see post below:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ectric-static-from-speakers.15262/post-318664

===================================================================

In the last few month my lightning upon starting has surged/boomed noise then followed by the static coming from the speakers. Since this time my phone has not worked properly. I have taken to my local dealer twice and they have been unable/unwilling to fix it or to say that there is an issue. The dealer told me it was my phone. This is not the case since I have been driving around a 2021 F150 for the last 3 weeks (while the dealership had my truck) and I have had no issues. I also purchased a new phone and the problem still exists. I think it is easy as replacing the large center speaker on the dash but the dealership will not listen. They believe it is my phone as they were not able to duplicate the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
In the last few month my lightning upon starting has surged/boomed noise then followed by the static coming from the speakers. Since this time my phone has not worked properly. I have taken to my local dealer twice and they have been unable/unwilling to fix it or to say that there is an issue. The dealer told me it was my phone. This is not the case since I have been driving around a 2021 F150 for the last 3 weeks (while the dealership had my truck) and I have had no issues. I also purchased a new phone and the problem still exists. I think it is easy as replacing the large center speaker on the dash but the dealership will not listen. They believe it is my phone as they were not able to duplicate the issue.
Search the forums...someone else had this problem and may have had a fix action. If I recall, I think it was back last late summer or early fall.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
In the last few month my lightning upon starting has surged/boomed noise then followed by the static coming from the speakers.
If it happens with that regularity I would check the fuses and 12v to make sure everything is fully seated

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Mine blasts me a few times a week. Its something to do with the wireless connection to Android auto.

Fucking hate it.

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Radio Exploding sonic boom then alien clicking static

Dangerous B&O sound system issue

+ a bunch of other threads from various F150 forums.

Ford told me that this is "not a known issue."
Radio Exploding sonic boom then alien clicking static

Dangerous B&O sound system issue

+ a bunch of other threads from various F150 forums.

Ford told me that this is "not a known issue."
There are 5 pages of content at "Dangerous B&O Sound System Issue" in this forum. It appears to be a B&O sound system related issue, and it also occurs on F-150 ICE models. The oldest report I have found is a 2018 Lariat with the issue since it was new. There are 15 pages of content on the F150Gen14 forum regarding this issue at the following link:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...lowed-by-loud-static.9591/page-15#post-332241

Ford definitely knows it is an issue:
1. There are Ford representatives on this forum and the Gen14 forum who have requested VIN and dealership data from owners who have reported the problem on the forums.
2. I sent a letter specifically detailing this issue via Certified Mail (and received the Return Receipt) to Ms. Linda Zhang, the Ford Chief Engineer for the Lightning. I also informed Ms. Zhang that I have suffered ENT Doctor-determined hearing loss and tinnitus as a result of the extreme noise event in my 2022 Lightning.
3. Ford replaced the Audio Control Module (ACM) in my Lightning in response to this issue. The dealership could not, or would not, tell me if Ford had actually diagnosed a faulty ACM as the cause of the issue.
4. A person at the dealership was overheard saying that they "could not touch (my) truck until they had specific directions from Ford due to the legal issue."

The issue is exacerbated by the apparent lack of honesty and transparency from Ford. I recommend that you submit a complaint to NHTSA, and see an Ear Nose and Throat Doctor if you experienced noise at an extreme level.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Mine blasts me a few times a week. Its something to do with the wireless connection to Android auto.

Fucking hate it.
Interesting, that's the first I've seen someone link wireless android auto to the noise. I use an ad blocker on my phone that routes internet through a local VPN and that interferes with the wireless android auto so I have to plug mine in.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Perhaps totally unrelated, but my wife's 2023 BMW, with a Harman-Karden audio system, has had a very similar, intermittent problem. Neither we nor the dealer have been able to isolate the trigger. She does use Android Auto.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Interesting, that's the first I've seen someone link wireless android auto to the noise. I use an ad blocker on my phone that routes internet through a local VPN and that interferes with the wireless android auto so I have to plug mine in.
I whitelisted the stuff that interfered with Wireless AA in my VPN.

I've almost got to the point where I can recreate the noise....

Have google maps on your phone open and navigating to a destination.

Get in the truck and turn on.

Get ready to go deaf 30% of the time.

Seems to be a fight between Maps, playing music, wireless, and some other bull****

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Get ready to go deaf 30% of the time.
Man, this is so upsetting and exactly the reason I sold mine (at a big loss).

Good luck, and please be careful. Hearing is ridiculously precious and hearing loss is permanent.

If you could demonstrate this with a YouTube video, including a decibel meter in the shot (with doors closed) that would go a long way.

Ford has made it clear to me from multiple channels that this is NOT a priority to them at all. Meanwhile the NHTSA complaints continue to pile on. Too bad NHTSA isn’t on top of things.

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Man, this is so upsetting and exactly the reason I sold mine (at a big loss).

Good luck, and please be careful. Hearing is ridiculously precious and hearing loss is permanent.

If you could demonstrate this with a YouTube video, including a decibel meter in the shot (with doors closed) that would go a long way.

Ford has made it clear to me from multiple channels that this is NOT a priority to them at all. Meanwhile the NHTSA complaints continue to pile on. Too bad NHTSA isn’t on top of things.
No db meter... But https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...-then-alien-clicking-static.12315/post-310845

Marty80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ Lightning Platinum
Has this been noticed on MY23 as well? Could they have had a fix post feb production stop? Perhaps someone with recent delivery could chime in?

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Attached is a recording of the actual noise I experienced inside my 2022 Lightning. This continuous static noise occurred immediately following an explosive boom inside the truck cabin. Neither the audio system power button, nor the vehicle main power button, had any effect on stopping the noise. Try to imagine it at 140 dBA or more, and you get an idea of what I experienced.

I was using only Apple maps for navigation on an iPhone connected via CarPlay with no other audio or music. I was stopped at a red light, so there was no navigation audio playing at the time the incident occurred.

You would think that Ford would be very interested in having their Engineers interview me (a retired Licensed Professional Engineer who has personally conducted noise surveys in heavy manufacturing facilities) for incident details, but they have not.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
The problem with phone recordings is they will compress the audio. Nothing outside of those 18 speakers being pushed to their physical break point will recreate the sound pressure heard, but the NIOSH phone app (completely unpaired to the vehicle -airplane mode, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth off) will give a fairly accurate idea of the SPL. It is the only calibrated app.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
The problem with phone recordings is they will compress the audio. Nothing outside of those 18 speakers being pushed to their physical break point will recreate the sound pressure heard, but the NIOSH phone app (completely unpaired to the vehicle -airplane mode, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth off) will give a fairly accurate idea of the SPL. It is the only calibrated app.
I have the NIOSH app, but did not have it at the time of my incident. I honestly do not know how the audio system could possibly produce a noise as loud as I experienced without blowing up. I did detect a fairly strong electrical burn odor during the incident, but the dealer EV Tech said he did not find any physical evidence. I can not comprehend why Ford and B&O Engineers would allow the audio system to produce such extreme sound levels without a limiter ... unless the issue is able to bypass any limits. It sounds and acts like a demon has taken over total control of the audio system.
Sponsored