• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lowering Kit options for Lightning?

Hrudka

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2015 Mustang GT, 2015 Jeep Grand C
Occupation
Machinist
I'm not too thrilled about how high the back end of the Lightening sits when not loaded. Has anyone heard of a lowering spring kit for this truck? It could stand to be 2" lower as I don't plan on putting huge loads in the bed.
Sponsored

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
For now all you can do is put a level on front, cut the rear coils or heat them up and let them settle.

a few manufacturers are working on lowering kits.

ScubaSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum, 2021 GT500, 2017 Focus RS
Occupation
Sales
Yeah...and none of them will reply to inquiries about it....

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I feel like a weirdo for liking a truck with rake like this. I couldn't stand Toyotas from the 90s and early 2000s when their leaf springs would settle in and the back would squat lower than the front without a load.

nroseber

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
so I have a random reason I want to lower....my garage height is just shy of 77" (yes...looked at every way to eke out just a bit more but that's all I could get) and the truck is 77.2" tall. Anyone heard anything about lowering kits coming out yet or have other ideas on how to lower just a inch or two?

Sponsored

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
so I have a random reason I want to lower....my garage height is just shy of 77" (yes...looked at every way to eke out just a bit more but that's all I could get) and the truck is 77.2" tall. Anyone heard anything about lowering kits coming out yet or have other ideas on how to lower just a inch or two?
https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-Coil-Springs?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Lots of cement bags in the frunk and bed.

ScubaSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum, 2021 GT500, 2017 Focus RS
Occupation
Sales
Seen a couple trucks rear drop leveled 3” using a Belltech adjustable strut. Going to try it out as soon as the parts show up.

nroseber

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
thanks for the ideas...found out I could change my garage door opener to wall mount, remove a piece of trim and make it work...no need to lower anymore.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
thanks for the ideas...found out I could change my garage door opener to wall mount, remove a piece of trim and make it work...no need to lower anymore.
Just double check that you have enough vertical clearance I had to change mine away from a jack shaft/wall mount and use super sneaky mounts - going back to a drawbar opener to get an extra 2-3 inches of height on one of my bays. That setup pulled the door higher up than with the jackshaft.

The jack shaft can only pull a couple of inches below the tracks where as the drawbar can pull all the way up to the tracks.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Just double check that you have enough vertical clearance I had to change mine away from a jack shaft/wall mount and use super sneaky mounts - going back to a drawbar opener to get an extra 2-3 inches of height on one of my bays. That setup pulled the door higher up than with the jackshaft.

The jack shaft can only pull a couple of inches below the tracks where as the drawbar can pull all the way up to the tracks.
The draw bar will definitely get more clearance. I cracked the roof box on top of my Volvo SUV when the power went out a couple years ago. The drawbar opener can pull the door up above the natural resting point and when disconnected (due to power outage) it drifted down just enough to catch the back edge of be the roof box. I have almost an inch of clearance as it is setup now. The truck fits with more space than the Volvo. I use the antenna to know if I have the vertical clearance necessary to pull the truck into a garage space.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The draw bar will definitely get more clearance. I cracked the roof box on top of my Volvo SUV when the power went out a couple years ago. The drawbar opener can pull the door up above the natural resting point and when disconnected (due to power outage) it drifted down just enough to catch the back edge of be the roof box. I have almost an inch of clearance as it is setup now. The truck fits with more space than the Volvo. I use the antenna to know if I have the vertical clearance necessary to pull the truck into a garage space.
Yea it’s a tricky trade off. My center bay has high ceilings, so I’ve got the jackshaft opener there with a vertical lift door. It’s amazing to be a belt o hop in and out of the bed, lower a bed cap, or lift a car in the garage. Bay 1 though is a nailbiter, which is why I bought the super sneaky brackets. Moving the tracks up just two inches gave me some pretty good peace of mind. Unfortunately my opening is still barely larger than the Ford.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lowering Kit options for Lightning? F8FDF506-0641-4EE8-A9F7-FBECAE6C260E

Because my garage floor bumps up another inch if I back in, I’ll clear the door. If I pull I. Head first, I will not.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Ford F-150 Lightning Lowering Kit options for Lightning? IMG_20211219_144153351_HDR
Yea it’s a tricky trade off. My center bay has high ceilings, so I’ve got the jackshaft opener there with a vertical lift door. It’s amazing to be a belt o hop in and out of the bed, lower a bed cap, or lift a car in the garage. Bay 1 though is a nailbiter, which is why I bought the super sneaky brackets. Moving the tracks up just two inches gave me some pretty good peace of mind. Unfortunately my opening is still barely larger than the Ford.

F8FDF506-0641-4EE8-A9F7-FBECAE6C260E.jpeg

Because my garage floor bumps up another inch if I back in, I’ll clear the door. If I pull I. Head first, I will not.
I have to drive in. The ground slopes up to the garage. Backing in raises the back edge of everything. My 2011 f150 just fit with Yakima load bars on the roof. I don't think that the lightning would fit with a roof rack The patch (fiber glass mat with g-flex epoxy) on the back of the box is covered in duct tape. Power was out and I was late for work due to the power outage. I backed up in a hurry and caught the handle on the garage door with the back edge of the box. Not one of my happiest mornings.

nroseber

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
thanks so much for the insights! I'm getting a quote on the wall mount opener and revising the trim an inch. Good news is the door track is high enough inside the garage, actually the trim is the controlling factor. I'm not interested about backing in vs. head first in and the difference in clearance. Truck is scheduled to arrive sometime next week so hope to have some real time testing in the very near future!
Sponsored