• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I just don't like that the manual cable frunk hood release is in the drivers kick panel.

Smash and grab thiefs will soon learn to bust the Lightning window and pull the frunk hood cable release to gain access to the frunk's contents.

It's in the same spot that ICE F-150 hood release is located.

I'm going to bury/ relocate the cable release further back in the kick panel. So that it's not as easily accessible.
I think the only advantage of tinkering with that is for when you leave your windows open.

As you know, there are 360 cameras all over the Lightning, and Ford has speculated that a creating a camera Sentry Mode could be just a matter of a firmware update to deter theft. There are tons of Tesla videos of Sentry Mode in action letting thieves know they’re being recorded.

I agree, without such a mode, a thief may try breaking a window, but if you think about it, most cars have a back trunk release and I don’t know anyone who’s had their window broken to get in a rear trunk.

Lastly, even if they assume you have something of value… and Ford doesn’t deter them with a camera sentry, they’ll still break your window even if you relocate the cable. The broken window will probably be a bigger expense than whatever you may be protecting in the Frunk.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Store some rattlesnakes in the frunk, just in case. 🐍

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Smash and grab thiefs will soon learn to bust the Lightning window and pull the frunk hood cable release to gain access to the frunk's contents.
Smash and grab thieves aren't the type that will recognize the Lightning and say,

"Hello, fellow felonious chap, is this not the new Ford with that mega power frunk?"

"Why yes, I do believe you're right! I'll crack into this side window using my scepter and release the catch while you pillage the owner's valuables from within!"

I'm not worried.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
Lastly, even if they assume you have something of value…, they’ll still break your window even if you relocate the cable. The broken window will probably be a bigger expense than whatever you may be protecting in the Frunk.
Smash and grab thieves aren't the type that will recognize the Lightning and say,

I'm not worried.
Everybody's case is unique.

In my case my current ICE F-150 I have the 6'+ Decked drawer system with lockable drawers, a cap/topper on the bed, and the tailgate all locked.

When I go camping, dirt biking, Adventure motorcycling, mountain biking, 4X4 and I'm away from my vehicle. I'd like to make it hard as possible for someone to steal my gear: camping, motorcycle, tools, recovery, cameras, guns, etc..

We don't always have a human (a buddy, wife, GF, kids) or dogs staying at the campsite if we're out on our bikes, going out for a swim, or hiking.

So, I could care less about an inexpensive door window, any one of my single one possessions stored in the FRUNK would be rather costly to replace.

With the FRUNK, I was hoping I didn't have to buy another Decked system for the smaller 5'5" bed, and/or a topper. I'm also hoping that thieves will think the Lightning is just another ICE F-150, and not realize that a FRUNK exists.

I'm going to relocate the manual release from easy interior access. I'll know where it is if I need to get access to the FRUNK if the BAT is dead.

Luckily for myself I've never had any of my stuff stolen, but I've run into campers who have.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER

In my case my current ICE F-150 I have the 6'+ Decked drawer system with lockable drawers, a cap/topper on the bed, and the tailgate all locked.
How has your experience been with Decked? I was thinking of that for the lightning and camping/skiing

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Luckily for myself I've never had any of my stuff stolen, but I've run into campers who have.
I'm hoping Ford follows up on creating a camera Sentry Mode so we'll have 24/7 video surveillance as a deterrent. I see all sorts of videos of Tesla Sentry Mode in action on YouTube so people are starting to realize you don't mess with a parked Tesla.

Besides Sentry Mode, I think it would be great to have those 360 cameras recorded to a flash drive for insurance purposes... why bother installing a DashCam when there are cameras all over the Lightning?

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
How has your experience been with Decked? I was thinking of that for the lightning and camping/skiing
I love the Decked drawer system, one of the earliest adopters. I met their rep at one of their earliest LEO trade shows. Got an 'Industry discount' from them and saved me a couple of hundreds of dollars off the price.

Great for Overlanding and camping. Keeps everything organized and secured. Still, plenty of room to sleep on top of the Decked surface with a topper.

I've sold/promised my ICE F-150 to my Landscaper for some trade in labor for some yard and driveway expansion work (for additional parking for the Lightning and CyberTruck). He is also getting the topper and the spare wheels and tires I have for that truck.

But, I'm keeping the 6.5' Decked system! I'm probably just going to install it onto my simple 4'X8' motorcycle trailer. I'll just strap the dirt bikes and ADV bikes on top of the Decked system in the trailer.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I just don't like that the manual cable frunk hood release is in the drivers kick panel.

It's in the same spot that ICE F-150 hood release is located.

I'm going to bury/ relocate the cable release further back in the kick panel. So that it's not as easily accessible.
How is this any different than a sedan with a trunk release button on the dash? I’ve never heard of thieves smashing a window to gain access to a vehicle trunk on the chance that they might find something of value. Around here, thieves’ SOP is 1) rummage through unlocked vehicles hoping to find something, followed by 2) smashing a window to grab something they’ve spotted in the car. Actually right now, number one is to saw off the catalytic converter.

I’m not at all concerned.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

When I go camping, dirt biking, Adventure motorcycling, mountain biking, 4X4 and I'm away from my vehicle. I'd like to make it hard as possible for someone to steal my gear: camping, motorcycle, tools, recovery, cameras, guns, etc..

We don't always have a human (a buddy, wife, GF, kids) or dogs staying at the campsite if we're out on our bikes, going out for a swim, or hiking.

So, I could care less about an inexpensive door window, any one of my single one possessions stored in the FRUNK would be rather costly to replace.

With the FRUNK, I was hoping I didn't have to buy another Decked system for the smaller 5'5" bed, and/or a topper. I'm also hoping that thieves will think the Lightning is just another ICE F-150, and not realize that a FRUNK exists.

I'm going to relocate the manual release from easy interior access. I'll know where it is if I need to get access to the FRUNK if the BAT is dead.

It’s way cheaper and less stressful to get good insurance and not worry about the stuff. 😁

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I actually pulled the 'manual release' handle and then the release 'strap' to show how this works to the rep who was in San Antonio at the 'PRO' station... I only wished I had also actually MEASURED the interior height dimensions of the 'frunk' so that I could know ahead of time what size items, like a minifridge might fit ...
I wonder if someone knows the dimensions of the hardcase and the YETI case that's in the photo, that might give us a clue...
Sponsored