• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Luxury Tax

Marty80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ Lightning Platinum
Anyone knows if Canada Luxury Tax will apply to F150 Lightning since the vehicle seems to have a GVWR over the 3,856 kg written in the legislation:

Under subsection 2(1), subject vehicle means a motor vehicle that meets all of the following conditions:

• it is designed or adapted primarily to carry individuals on highways and streets
  • it has a seating capacity of not more than 10 individuals
  • it has a gross vehicle weight rating that is 3,856 kg or less
  • it has a date of manufacture after 2018
  • it is designed to travel with four or more wheels in contact with the ground
Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
The law you posted appears to want "3,856 kg or less" (8500 lbs). Some Lightning configurations go over that amount and so it seems the law wouldn't apply to those. Note that certain configurations will be under 3856 kg (Lariat with A/T tires, for example).

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf
Anyone knows if Canada Luxury Tax will apply to F150 Lightning since the vehicle seems to have a GVWR over the 3,856 kg written in the legislation:

Under subsection 2(1), subject vehicle means a motor vehicle that meets all of the following conditions:
I just walked out of the dealership and ordered a Lariat ER w/Max Tow and & 511A option. The total was 113 + tax. However the GVWR is over it's at 8550 lbs. So no luxury tax! That would have been the tipping point for me not to order.

OP
OP

Marty80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ Lightning Platinum
Did you happen to look at the Platinum? How much are they selling it for? Could not find the new price list for Canada!

Joforg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 EcoDiesel current, 2022 lightning pending
MSRP for the platinum starts at $123,095 CDN 😬

Sponsored

JRoss93

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 - Ordered
I just walked out of the dealership and ordered a Lariat ER w/Max Tow and & 511A option. The total was 113 + tax. However the GVWR is over it's at 8550 lbs. So no luxury tax! That would have been the tipping point for me not to order.
My dealer advised against moving up to the 511A package just in case in the GVWR isn’t above 8500lb 🤷🏽‍♂️

Might just stick with the 510A so I don’t end up with a very costly upgrade.

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My dealer advised against moving up to the 511A package just in case in the GVWR isn’t above 8500lb 🤷🏽‍♂️

Might just stick with the 510A so I don’t end up with a very costly upgrade.
My order sheet shows the GVWR on the sheet with the 511A package. So I'm going by the documentation. I also have a picture of a 2022 Lariat with 511A with the same weight. I really doubt there's an issue here.

IMO the dealers should be line-iteming out the cost of the Charging Station as well; as that shouldn't be considered as part of the car.

Ford F-150 Lightning Luxury Tax F150Sticker

JRoss93

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 - Ordered
My order sheet shows the GVWR on the sheet with the 511A package. So I'm going by the documentation. I also have a picture of a 2022 Lariat with 511A with the same weight. I really doubt there's an issue here.

IMO the dealers should be line-iteming out the cost of the Charging Station as well; as that shouldn't be considered as part of the car.
Yeah I showed him the documentation as well. He just kept saying he can’t promise it will be over. Going to ask him to keep an eye if someone picks up a ER lariat / platinum in the coming months that’s over 100k.

I’d totally remove the charger and save myself $1500 anyways. Lets hope it works out 🤞🏽

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah I showed him the documentation as well. He just kept saying he can’t promise it will be over. Going to ask him to keep an eye if someone picks up a ER lariat / platinum in the coming months that’s over 100k.

I’d totally remove the charger and save myself $1500 anyways. Lets hope it works out 🤞🏽
He could do his job, pick up the phone and call his Ford rep and have them confirm the weight.

Sorry for the snark... I just get irked with where people's work ethics are these days.

EDIT: I would also add it's probably not by accident that it's exactly 50lbs over that limit.

Joforg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 EcoDiesel current, 2022 lightning pending
It really won't make that much of a difference. The luxury tax is the lower of the 2 options...so if you're at $110 the hit is $2k not $11K.

Sponsored

Lavaorange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata, Lightning Lariat
FYI I picked up my 2022 Lariat 511A 4 days ago and due to the GVWR I was told I was exempt from the new luxury tax. The dealer did not charge me the luxury tax.( I am located in BC, Canada.)

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Beware, it looks like Ford is now subbing in All-Terain tires which lowers the GVWR. This puts you back into the Luxury Tax zone if you accept this.

OP
OP

Marty80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ Lightning Platinum
Well, just got out of the dealership for my Platinum order and was told I have to pay the lux tax which comes up to around 5k. Kind of finding it weird that some of us don’t have to pay and some (maybe just me being in Quebec) have to pay it. Anybody ordered Platinum and got exempt from it?

OP
OP

Marty80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ Lightning Platinum
Could it be the All Season Tire on the Platinum that reduces the GVWR below the weight limit for the lux tax?
Sponsored