• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maverick Lightning? (vs. RIvian R1T, etc.)

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, BMW 3 series
Occupation
Engineer
I saw a YouTube video recently (from Out-of-Spec Reviews) that showed a (gasoline) F-150 in the same shot as a Rivian R1T, and it drove home for me just how much larger the F-150 is. That got me to wondering whether Ford will ever come out with a "Maverick Lightning", if the F-150 Lightning turns out to be the big hit many of us think it will be, and if competing (somewhat) smaller electric trucks such as the Rivian R1T are successful. For my own use case, the utilitarian capabilities of the F-150 Lightning coupled with the smaller size of the Maverick would be a big win. Of course, the battery would have to be smaller, but I imagine range would be similar due to lighter weight, and potentially better aero. And yes, a number of the "luxury" amenities of the F-150 Lightning would likely not be available in an "E-Maverick", but I'd be OK with that. Also, it seems like a "Maverick Lightning" would be a better "rest-of-world" electric truck than the F-150 Lightning, which is really too big for much of Europe and Asia. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I’d love that! Give it about two….nah, three years, it’s definitely coming.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
Ford teased what looked like an electric Maverick a few months ago but I haven’t seen anything else about it.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
Yes. It would be a big win for us consumers, if it was so. It would help our tiny pocket books.

But not so much for FoMoCo bottom line. They need the cash flow to invest and build new EV production line and battery factories.

With limited EV battery supplies, they'll just focused on higher profitable margin models for now.

They have to finance the growth and the ramping up of their current EV models, before they start working on a cheaper BEVs. It doesn't help them grow as fast in the long term if they focus on cheaper BEVs with lower profit margins this soon. Remember it's all about the Benjamin's and how much they can make.

Look at how they limited the production numbers of the MY22 PRO SR models, as they are not as profitable of the higher trim Lightning models.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I wonder if the 'chicken tax' would apply to imported light EV trucks? I suspect it would, and that Ford would enjoy a protected market for some time.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I think Ford was smart to start with the F-150 but no doubt they will move down the line. with electrification. The Rivian is a compact based on bed length. 4.5', same as the Maverick and half a foot shorter than the Ranger.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
I think Ford was smart to start with the F-150 but no doubt they will move down the line. with electrification. The Rivian is a compact based on bed length. 4.5', same as the Maverick and half a foot shorter than the Ranger.
Compact by bedlength but bigger than a Ranger otherwise. The R1T has a hard time fitting any of the current classifications.

An EV Ranger probably is most likely as the next move if for no other reason than the current Ranger is an old platform and next up for replacement. A Ranger-size body should fit nicely on the MME/Explorer platform as well.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’d think they would add it to the Ranger before the Maverick but who knows

OP
OP
BedFullOfElectronZ
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, BMW 3 series
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the thoughtful comments. Ford is, unsurprisingly, starting with higher-margin vehicles, but I fully expect more economical electric truck models from Ford in the 3-5 year timeframe if F-150 Lightning is successful.
Sponsored