• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mods to improve Lightning acceleration performance on drag strip?

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
I took my truck by a local drag strip tonight, almost beat a new mid-engine Corvette...

Any thoughts on how to improve performance a bit? I was basically just applying the brake, putting the accelerator to the floor, and then releasing the brake. I disabled traction control but it didn't seem to have much of an effect.

Other than removing stuff from the truck, any other ideas?

Ford F-150 Lightning Mods to improve Lightning acceleration performance on drag strip? IMG_2621
Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I have been wondering the same thing. My first thought, which is a total guess, is to increase traction. I am guessing the traction control is really never completely off or there would be some great video of four wheel burnouts by now.

Thanks for posting the timeslip!

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
It may seem obvious, but make sure you're in sport mode. Since the truck nags you every time you get in, it can go back to normal mode where there is a noticeable lag in power delivery.

Other than that, the truck seems obviously limited in front wheel traction since it will bark the front tires so easily. Some grippier front tires would hopefully help with that.

newF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
It may seem obvious, but make sure you're in sport mode. Since the truck nags you every time you get in, it can go back to normal mode where there is a noticeable lag in power delivery.

Other than that, the truck seems obviously limited in front wheel traction since it will bark the front tires so easily. Some grippier front tires would hopefully help with that.
Was just going to say replace the tires as well.

Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Make sure your battery is fully charged. If you were to start at 100% SOC and go all day, you'd likely notice a decrease in performance throughout the day as your battery voltage drops. I'm not sure what's ideal, but lowering your tire pressure can help with traction. Look up recommendations for a truck. Disabling traction control was already mentioned. Are there any other driver nannies that might apply the brakes or reduce power output for stability control?

Shallow staging vs. deep staging can give you extra space of runway to get going before you trip the sensor that starts the clock. So technically you don't start from 0 mph and instead have a bit of a rolling start. You want to roll up very slowly until the light trips. People who bracket race might do deep staging for consistency and will pass the staging area and then roll back until the light trips.

If you're nervous and jumpy (because it's an exciting and intimidating experience for the first time), then ignore the tree and the car next to you. Your timer won't start until you cross the sensor. So you can let the other car go and then punch it with less things to watch and time. This is a bit more relevant when you're trying to work a clutch vs. just stomping the gas, but still can help. Your E/T will still be accurate while your R/T (reaction time) will be slow since you didn't try to react quickly.

EDIT: It might seem obvious, but it's a very common mistake to think you're at the end of the quarter or eighth mile stretch and let off the gas (accelerator?) when you still have a hundred feet to go. Make sure you're through the end before letting off.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Beyond what others have said, As much weight reduction as you can do. Far starters, make sure the cab is empty of everything except you and nothing is in the glove boxes. Take the base tray out of the fruck. Remove the spare tire. How much further you want to go depends on how crazy you want to get, but seat removal is usually the next target.

Also - easy item, but fold the mirrors in to reduce that Aero drag!

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
..... I was basically just applying the brake, putting the accelerator to the floor, and then releasing the brake [/qoute]

I don't know much about drag racing, but not sure of this sequence in an EV. Use One Pedal Driving and Auto Hold. Once you stage the truck, it will hold for you - you don't need to worry about the brake. Just be ready for the accelerator holding your foot right over it.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Any more thoughts about the impact of improving traction? I keep hearing about how the tires break loose (which I love) and my guess is that the computer reduces power at that point or there would be awesome vids of smoky burnouts.

I am really looking forward to hearing how the truck does at the track with drag radials on all four paws...

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Ford needs to introduce a launch sequence

total conjecture, but I half wonder if the frunk needs a 100lb sandbag

Commodore

First Name