• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Moved to 2023 Model Year

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
Received an email from my dealer yesterday that my wave 4 order placed on 2/24/22 has been moved to 2023. Any insight if the MY22 orders pushed to MY23 will be first in line to receive build dates, or could we expect Ford to fill out the later orders first again?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Monitoring this thread for more reports, I will adjust the Model Year on my version of the tracker, you might want to update your entry on the official forum version as well.

Use the Change Request Form for any changes to your order info.

Remember to only input the existing member name and modify any element needing new or changed data.

Trick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
I was told the same but order is still showing 2022. Called both my dealer and ford and nobody knows how it's going to work.

OP
OP

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
when asked if I would still qualify for the full tac rebate and price match, the dealer sent me this:
"Ford had sent us an email saying they plan to price protect anyone whos 22' did not get built. Still waiting on full confirmation from them on that, the tax credit I can not confirm at all for you. With the new bill signed this month the federal tax credits have changed somewhat. I would like to believe that you would, but I can not confirm."

Sponsored

maverick92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lightning, Model Y, Maverick
Occupation
Engineer
this depends mainly on when you take delivery: before or after 12/31/22
I would think the 2022 order counts as a "binding order" similar to what I have with Rivian and Lucid. That would mean OP is eligible for the old $7,500 tax credit rules if delivery is taken anytime after 12/31/2022. If delivery is taken before then it's a moot point.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I would think the 2022 order counts as a "binding order" similar to what I have with Rivian and Lucid. That would mean OP is eligible for the old $7,500 tax credit rules if delivery is taken anytime after 12/31/2022. If delivery is taken before then it's a moot point.
It’s a good point and one that is a bit more complicated in terms of any certainty, and so I avoided and reduced down to “depends mainly” in the following way:

(1) if delivery is taken before 12/31/22, it’s both (A) predictable and (B) predicted to be a near certainty that @bewbie will benefit from the “old” tax treatment rules, qualifying for the full $7,500 tax credit

(2) if delivery is taken after 12/31/22, it’s

(A) not presently predicable at all, because it will depend significantly on the pending guidance from the IRS regarding the nature of “binding” contract that will be observed by the IRS, and

(B) to the extent predictable at all, early indications look questionable at best whether such “order” will be treated as “binding” by the IRS - as just one example, the IRS has already indicated that one primary (though not only) indices of being “binding” is a material down payment that is non-refundable, with the IRS confirming that it will follow prior guidance on what is “material” as preliminarily requiring >5% of the vehicle’s purchase price. The Ford “order” process requires a deposit that is neither non-refundable (as I remember the terms, but here I could be misremembering) nor definitely not >5% nor even close to 5% of the purchase price.

Accordingly, when it comes to the Ford Lightning and how the “order” process will be treated by the IRS, it is both not yet predictable (absent guidance) and early indications are not bullish.

Which gets me back to my short version of a note to @bewbie’s question, now modified: it depends mostly on whether you take deliver before 12/31/22, and if delivery is take after that nobody can tell you yet, least of all your dealer

@maverick92 as for your Rivian and Lucid “binding” contracts, for reasons alluded to above (and others not here addressed) I would not be ‘banking’ on those silly pre-bill signing “binding” contract theatrics to get you any comfort just yet on your qualifications for the “old” tax credit standards. Those “contracts” Rivian and Lucid offered were chocked-full of non-binding indices from head-to-tail, in addition to the non-conforming % of “deposit” they “required.” Personally, I think Rivian purposefully mislead its customers into signing those contracts, and most certainly had zero tax guidance as to whether they were likely to ever pass the “smell” test of the IRS.

Indeed, I suspect (but admittedly do not know) that the IRS has already specifically addressed this topic of the >5% threshold precisely because of all the press around Rivian and Lucid offering those silly “binding” contracts.

Another way I find Rivian to be a joke of a company. In my opinion (as a former GC of a major company), I think Rivian’s GC should be fired for “blessing” that stunt around “binding contracts.”

Last edited:

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Received an email from my dealer yesterday that my wave 4 order placed on 2/24/22 has been moved to 2023. Any insight if the MY22 orders pushed to MY23 will be first in line to receive build dates, or could we expect Ford to fill out the later orders first again?
So you are in wave 4 that ordered 2/24 but don't have a build date?

That's weird and risky that MSRP would be higher than $80k. Also if your family gross income is more than $300k it would be a big issue.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Bummer. Did you have a build week scheduled prior to being moved (asking for a friend)?