• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
The detail begins! Undercarriage review of F-150 Lightning

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Looks like it should be less costly to do repair work on this than on a a RIvian. Looking foward to see what they find out about the motor.

Last edited:

Greased Lightning! ⚡️

First Name
Mex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT, 2019 Land Rover Discovery HSE
Occupation
El Jefe
I'm excited about the next gen and whether Ford will stay on the serviceability path or change to max range optimization. Like they said, this is the "first isolated pack they have seen, will it be the last?"

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
I'm still wondering what the two black plastic buckets on each edge under the cab are for? There doesn't seem to be anything in them nor do they seem protective or for aero.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do all new vehicles get this rusty this fast? Does anyone plan to paint/protect these?

Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) 1665024858255

Last edited:

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, I noticed that rust too. Pretty sure it is completely harmless but it does bug me cosmetically and wonder if there any risks to painting them.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I’ve noticed that rust on almost every review I’ve seen on the Lightning. I checked mine that just arrived today. No rust but probably will see it after driving in the first rain. My guess is it’s nothing to worry about

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well from their comments it is built like a brick shithouse and optimized for ruggedness and repairability vs. ease of assembly and weight reduction.

I am OK with that!

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
Do all new vehicles get this rusty this fast? Does anyone plan to paint/protect these?

1665024858255.png
My 2010 F150 came like that brand new and I had no issues with them for 12 years.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
While not very appealing to spend the money we are on these trucks and find those untreated parts rusting, that surface rust will not affect the life of those parts. They will probably outlive the battery.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I didn't know about the Air Dam, pretty cool.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I found this interesting, and am uploading some of my own PRO with Max Tow and Tow Tech and 9.6kw ProPower... and some things to point out, as well as some questions, after crawling around underneath this morning

:

Nice to have 'instructions' right on the TOWING CONNECTIONS : )
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4917.JPG

after 4,000 beautiful miles, I don't see much of any of the rust 'issues' some of the other Lightnings show on the wheel sets...
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4918

interesting find, though - some type of tiny shock/connection between the trailer arm and the frame, with a 'sensor', maybe... (?)
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4919

interesting find: a yellow 'donut' mounted below the frame... I'm guessing a 'bump stop' for the trailing arm, below.
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4920.JPG

view from above the trailing arm...
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4921.JPG

rear motor manufacturing labels...
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4922.JPG

the 'module' attached to the brake housing... I 'm guessing for the electronic 'braking'... 'one pedal' action, 'brake hold', 'electronic parking brake', etc.
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4923.JPG

found that it looks like I have TWO units mounted above the rear motor, below the bed... while it could be either INVERTERS, since I have 9.6kw ProPower, or could be COOLING UNITS, since I have MAX TOW... I'm going with Cooling Units since I see LIQUID LINES coming from both...
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4924

Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4925.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4926.JPG

rear bumper wiring and harnesses for various sensors, power to rear OUTLETS, etc.
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4927.JPG

several 'connectors' around the truck are not in 'use'...or they are for potential tie-ins for 12v power/signals... I don't have 'zone lighting' and some other upgrades that these might be integral parts of the 'stock' wiring harnesses.
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4928.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4931.JPG

another 'end view' of one of the rear COOLING UNITS...
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4929

some views down the length of the truck, under the door areas... showing partially the inside of the plastic 'covers' that run a good length of the battery - I'm guessing these are for additional protection of the battery pack, although they seem fairly flimsy - could also be for 'aero' ... rock protection, etc. Also, the runs of hydraulics to rear brakes, power lines to the rear outlets, and even my additional aftermarket 'running board' mounting brackets.
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4930

Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4946.JPG

a view toward the rear 'power connections'... which looks like exit/enter a different module from the battery pack - probably the INVERTER.
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4933

Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4934

Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4936.JPG

right behind the FRONT WHEELS - the power entry/exit from the BATTERY PACK... a wiring cluster, for sure, all behind and underneath the 'frunk' insert... including brake hydraulics and air conditioning routing... and what looks like a torsion bar... and lower 'guard'.
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4940.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4941.JPG

below the front passenger wheel well, and maybe mounted on the frame, some type of 'module' that is peaking thru, under the frunk...
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4942.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4943

and I found this interesting 'foam' type box that a cooling hose enters/exits at the rear, right below the front of the motor... maybe rock protection for the cooling hose/connection to the motor...
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) IMG_4932_1

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
and a few notes about the discussion from the Munro team:

The automatic 'aero dam' drops down at 45+ mph...

The radiator is certainly laying at 45degrees or so, and interestingly is used in the OPPOSITE way of an ICE vehicle - meaning that the radiator is for cooling the battery mainly when the truck is PARKED, and typically while it is CHARGING, especially DC Charging, which creates a lot of heat. The FAN comes on as needed, and the front radiator self-opening VENTS deploy automatically, as needed. So, the radiator doesn't need to stand 'up' as in most other vehicles.

The didn't mention at all the plastic 'covers' that run along the sides of the battery pack... interesting that they didn't point that out since they are so into 'why' manufacturers do certain things.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
and here's the front of the BATTERY PACK, with high-voltage 240v and 120v connections and a LIQUID Cooling line on each end...

from the driver side...
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) BATTER PACK connections from Driver side

the passenger side...
Ford F-150 Lightning Munroe's F-150 Lightning Underbody Review (Independent Rear, Trailing Arm Suspension, Etc.) BATTERY PACK connections from passenger side
Sponsored