• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
....Great video. Just shows how important the preconditioning is. As we've found with our Teslas, the worst thing you can do is just jump into a cold car and start driving on a cold battery.

All things considered, they did most their driving at 65-ish MPH and had KO2's on the truck in 17 degree weather. And still got over 200 miles of range out of it. That's impressive.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
....Great video. Just shows how important the preconditioning is. As we've found with our Teslas, the worst thing you can do is just jump into a cold car and start driving on a cold battery.

All things considered, they did most their driving at 65-ish MPH and had KO2's on the truck in 17 degree weather. And still got over 200 miles of range out of it. That's impressive.

Agreed.

It would have been nice to know what software version he was using, and how much climate control he was using. Tom's wife was in the car, and he was dressed comfortably, so I have to imagine they were using a decent amount of climate.

Hopefully, he can share these details at some point in case there are people who dress super warm and drive long distance with only the car seat warmer and the steering wheel warm as a heat source.

Sponsored
OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
@tommolog

I hope you do another range 100% range test when the weather gets warmer to see what effect the KO2's have.

I asked that in the Youtube comments since I was curious about that as well. Hopefully, he will do do something so we see what the range hit is with the knobbier tires.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

Don't forget the wind...extremely cold with a strong crosswinds. 1.7 mi/KwH was really good...

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
Agreed.

It would have been nice to know what software version he was using, and how much climate control he was using. Tom's wife was in the car, and he was dressed comfortably, so I have to imagine they were using a decent amount of climate.

Hopefully, he can share these details at some point in case there are people who dress super warm and drive long distance with only the car seat warmer and the steering wheel warm as a heat source.
I posted a question on climate controls. His response: "I had it set to 70-72 degrees and fan setting #1."

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I wish Hoovie's Lightning videos would auto-direct to @tommolog 's videos. Tom's videos are always honest and substantive whereas Hoovie's are tailor-made for Fox News EV outrage segments.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
He briefly mentioned 70° auto-1 fan speed.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I learned that in BC mode you get the SOC on screen.
Ford F-150 Lightning Must watch range test video on cold weather long distance driving in F-150 Lighting 1672268616060

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I learned that in BC mode you get the SOC on screen.
1672268616060.jpeg
Also in “calm view” you also get SOC . I believe it’s been stated that a software update is expected that will give you soc in all modes/views. Also my Christmas Day driving highway in the same conditions and in the same area of the country netted about 1.9kwh (70 mph blue cruise highway) on stock tires .

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
I asked that in the Youtube comments since I was curious about that as well. Hopefully, he will do do something so we see what the range hit is with the knobbier tires.
I will. I'll do back-to-back range tests with the KO2s and the stock tires on consecutive days in the spring.

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
I wish Hoovie's Lightning videos would auto-direct to @tommolog 's videos. Tom's videos are always honest and substantive whereas Hoovie's are tailor-made for Fox News EV outrage segments.
Hey, he's doing something right - he gets like 100X more views than I do on my videos. I guess the truth is boring...
Sponsored