• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This thread is dedicated to those who have no thermal shutdowns or error messages. I've seen some posts that suggest things are working normal for a couple of people. If this is true it is a good sign that needs explored. Please post here if you are one of those and provide some details if you can - gauge wire, indoor, outdoor location, environment temperature. Also if you've derated your charger to something less than 80A, e.g. 64 with no issues. Anything different about your install, when you received the charger? Even if it's a very rare occurrence to see a shutdown at 80A that is noteworthy.
Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
As I posted before, no problems at this end. I can charge at all hardware dial settings and any software settings. For software settings I have charger dial at position 7. I have 100 amp breaker in panel and connect to the charger with three 2 gauge wires. The electrical runs and connections were made by a licensed electrician. The charger is mounted on a wood frame bolted into a brick on concrete block foundation exterior wall. The wall faces northeast and receives direct sun in summer months. Ambient highs have been in the high 80’s to mid 90’s for past month. I don’t charge until SoC gets down to 20% or so. Charge upper limit set to 90% through interface in the truck. I currently have the current set at 64 amps through Ford app. I connect with iPhone and 2.4 wifi through a wifi extender (Netgear). My favorite color is blue.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
My favorite color is blue.
Atlas Blue or Ice Blue or Lightning Blue or Navy Blue or ...?

Seriously, you've said any hardware and software settings... have you been setting your charge current to 64A mostly since the start, or did you do a lot of charging at the full "80A"?

I haven't driven my truck far enough since installation this weekend to give it a good long time to charge and warm up.

And what does FordPass say your software level is at? (FordPass -> Account -> Charge Station -> Settings -> EVSE Software Version)

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Only once at full 80 amp setting (measured 77 amps on blue and brown wires in charger). My home has only 150 amp service (natural gas furnace, hwh and cook surface) from 20 years ago. Not much added draw at 80 versus 64 but thought I’d stay below half max. When I charge again next I’ll go to full 80 setting again since it’s an easy software change without opening the box again.
Version 4.18.0 USA

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Only once at full 80 amp setting (measured 77 amps on blue and brown wires in charger). My home has only 150 amp service (natural gas furnace, hwh and cook surface) from 20 years ago. Not much added draw at 80 versus 64 but thought I’d stay below half max. When I charge again next I’ll go to full 80 setting again since it’s an easy software change without opening the box again.
Version 4.18.0 USA
I'd be curious to see whether you get the cycling after 20-30 mins at the full 80A setting.

That doesn't appear to be the right software version.

This is what we should look at:
Ford F-150 Lightning My FCSP (Ford Charge Station Pro) works great with no shutdowns due to overheating. Does yours? Screenshot_20220726-075651_FordPass~2

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I guess I joined the club today. Figured I’d try again even though SoC was 76%.
I now have a cycling charge session.
Only difference from before is that the charger cover is on. It must be off for current measurement which I’m not doing now.
Ford F-150 Lightning My FCSP (Ford Charge Station Pro) works great with no shutdowns due to overheating. Does yours? 50E7601F-2C42-4609-8AD4-033E107A4595

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thank you for the data point. So to be clear, when you were able to charge at 76-80amp you had cover off as you were doing some current measurements. But now that cover is sealed tight you are seeing the thermal shutdowns and restart? I know Ford was pushing a firmware change that would throttle the charging current to keep below complete shutdown. Is that what you posted above as I don't see error messages?

#2 wire was intriguing as I know another person who was not getting shutdowns with #2 which implied that the thicker wire itself was helping to pull excess heat out of contactor area. But I guess not...

Blue for me too!

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know Ford was pushing a firmware change that would throttle the charging current to keep below complete shutdown. Is that what you posted above as I don't see error messages?
Look at his charge logs - the unit delivers just over 1 kWh then stops and restarts... that's a sign of the problem.

As for the software, both he and I have the same version - 2.112.64 - and I'll keep an eye on it for an upgrade over the next week or so.

Note that for whatever reason, the Charge Station Pro will never charge at 80A... it's only advertising 76-78 amps to the truck (94.5% duty cycle on the J1772 pilot signal).

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So, to date, is it fair to say 100% of the chargers seem to have this thermal issue? If there is even one that works at even 76A under all conditions it would be very interesting. It was telling that he was able to operate at full current without the cover on using natural convection. So there is some glimmer of hope for a natural convection hole approach... I'm thinking strategically place top and bottom (with screen to prevent buggers) to create a chimney cooling effect. But no NEMA so not outdoor solution.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
No problem charging at almost 80 amps with cover OFF. There should be a way to vent heat from the charger with the cover on and still meet code for the charger. TEFC like electrical motors?

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yes, a strategically placed watertight heat sink perhaps integrated into the top cover with integrated fan might do the trick and keep NEMA rating. Even a heat pipe passive heat sink might work. A few holes top and bottom might be easiest approach for indoor use only. I'm sure the issue is solvable with a little engineering. It sounds like many manufacturers including Tesla have had some trouble with heat in these high current chargers. The good news is that 64A or a throttled charge, while a bit disappointing, probably meets the need of an overnight charge so not a show stopper while they figure it out. Maybe there needs to be two models where sealed NEMA cover costs a bit more as that seems to be predominant challenge: Heat In > Heat Out => Temp rise => safety shutdown

Being on the forefront of technology always brings joys and risks. 🤣

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Geek Stuff
I see my FSCP firmware is out of date. How do I update it?

tk44189

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum
Mines inside. 60ft run of 2ga copper wire with 6ga earth. Runs great. Never an issue here

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I see my FSCP firmware is out of date. How do I update it?
Cycle the power to it and leave your truck unplugged overnight. It will update on its own.
Sponsored