• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

My new XLT SR charges to 100% without prompting

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I just picked up my new XLT SR Lightning on Monday so this has only happened twice. Both times I have plugged my 48 amp ChargePoint into my Lightning it has immediately started charging to 100%. I have even tried to set the one time charge at 90% but it will continue charging past 90%. Any ideas?

First time was when I picked it up from the dealer on Monday. It was at 72% (their chargers were not working well). I stopped the charging at 99%.
Second time was last night. I was at 84% and thought I would bring it up to 90% for a drive to Tulsa today. It indicated it was charging to 100% so I went into the one time charge and set it to 90%. Later I checked and it was at 97% so I stopped the charging.
Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Did you set up in the app?

Charging... Charge settings...

Ford F-150 Lightning My new XLT SR charges to 100% without prompting Screenshot_20220818-063059

Click use preferred charge settings...

Ford F-150 Lightning My new XLT SR charges to 100% without prompting Screenshot_20220818-063203

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Did you set up in the app?
Yep, that's the obvious question since the poster didn't mention setting up a charge location for home, so it seems like user error.

Regarding the one time charge not working, I think that is a real bug -- I have twice tried setting my one time charge higher than the default custom setting for my home location (90%) and both times it only charged to 90%. The UI is a bit funky, you have to change the percentage, then click Save, then click Close. I'm sure I set it up correctly because it shows the resulting desired charge percent (95 the first time, 92 the second time) on the parent screen after making the change. Anybody else have issues with this?

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had not set up any preferred charge settings. My electricity is the same cost all day/night.

But when I went into the preferred charge settings it was set to 100% so I reduced that to 90%.

Thanks for the tip. I just expected all of the settings to be at 80% or 90%. I didn't realize that it was possible to set up a charging spot at 100%.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I want to be able to have a global charge setting. Always charge to 80 or 90 percent. Not at any specific location, but always charge this way until I tell you otherwise. I would make one time exceptions for travel.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I want to be able to have a global charge setting. Always charge to 80 or 90 percent. Not at any specific location, but always charge this way until I tell you otherwise. I would make one time exceptions for travel.
Not possible.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not possible.
I know, but it does not mean we shouldn't ask for it. They can add this feature when they add the charging rate to the display.
There is no good reason why it is not possible. Other EVs do it, so it really is Ford does not want us to be able to do this or they are too lazy to add this basic function. They make it so that you can set individual charge locations with specific target charge levels (way harder to do than a global setting). I just don't understand why they left out this fairly basic functionality.

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I find it puzzling that the default charge limit is set to 100%. Does this mean there is enough cushion in the battery that charging to 100% regularly wouldn't have and effect on long term battery life?

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I find it puzzling that the default charge limit is set to 100%. Does this mean there is enough cushion in the battery that charging to 100% regularly wouldn't have and effect on long term battery life?
Charging level2 to 100% whenever you want is unlikely to be a problem in the long run. Ford does suggest less for less strain:

"With Charge Scheduling, you can improve the high voltage battery's longevity by delaying the start of charging and setting a maximum charging limit. We recommend you set your preferred charging times to be at least 2-3 hours after your typical plugi n time. This allows the battery to cool
before charging begins. Additionally,
setting the maximum charge level to be less than 100% for everyday usage reduces strain on the battery."

its dc charging that you want to limit and avoid going above 80/90, which is why ford makes it painful :)

Everyone seems to run with battery care like all batteries are OG leafs and nothing's changed in the past 12 years.

teslas that super charge often only see about 10% loss at 100,000 miles. There's some outliers here and there, but I wouldnt think about it too much on level2. Just charge to what you need.

SInce I only need 100% on long road trips , I just charge to 100% for road trips or once a month for battery maintenance. Only DC charge during road trips, even with my Ioniq 5 which has 3 years of free EA charging.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Maybe it’s obvious, but no one has specifically said it: If you select “Charge when plugged in”, none of the settings are used and the target level will always be 100%.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yes, but no.

Ford isn't giving us 100% of the battery. Mach-E for example has a 98kWh battery, and we get 91kWh or 92.9%. This allows them to release some/all of that capacity as the end of the warranty nears to remain above the 70% of usable battery that is guaranteed.

They also set it to 100% because of other reasons:

- most people don't read the manual
- if they didn't charge to 100% as default, think of all the dealer visits for service there would be
- many people plug in and walk away, clueless

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I know, but it does not mean we shouldn't ask for it. They can add this feature when they add the charging rate to the display.
There is no good reason why it is not possible. Other EVs do it, so it really is Ford does not want us to be able to do this or they are too lazy to add this basic function. They make it so that you can set individual charge locations with specific target charge levels (way harder to do than a global setting). I just don't understand why they left out this fairly basic functionality.
Mach-e folks have been asking for this for 18 months and still no luck. I doubt Ford is interested in providing this option.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e folks have been asking for this for 18 months and still no luck. I doubt Ford is interested in providing this option.
I don't have my truck yet. Can charge locations be set in the front the truck's screens or only in the app?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don't have my truck yet. Can charge locations be set in the front the truck's screens or only in the app?
Hmmm. It has been awhile, but I believe we set our up via the infotainment screen. I am not 100% on that though.

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From what I am just figuring out, Charging locations can only be added after that charging location has been used. This is in the Ford Pass app as well as in the truck.
Ford F-150 Lightning My new XLT SR charges to 100% without prompting 1660839982562
Sponsored