• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New Chargers Can Fully Charge the Lightning in 15 Minutes?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
We're in very early days. It will just get faster and faster. The battery and charging technology we'll be using in 10-15 years probably isn't even on a lab bench yet.
Sponsored

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Ranger Crew cab FX4 Lariat- Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
We're in very early days. It will just get faster and faster. The battery and charging technology we'll be using in 10-15 years probably isn't even on a lab bench yet.
Or we hit a dead end with battery tech or grid capability . OOps LOL .

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Or we hit a dead end with battery tech or grid capability.
Naw, the grid will be fine. If everyone switched to EVs overnight there would be a problem, but we’re talking a slow transition over 20 years or more.

There’s plenty of time to forecast demand and upgrade transmission and distribution as needed.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
This is how it works when you pull up to a charge station:

Charge station: "Thanks for connecting, I can charge at 360 kW"
EV: "I can only charge at 50kW"
Charge Station: "No problem, I will slow down to 50 kW"

** Don't stress out over the charge rate while you are away from home, a hotel, or the destination. A fast charger only matters along your route. Since most owners charge at home at night 95% of the time, it's not that big of an issue. If Ford charged extra for faster charging, I wouldn't pay for it. Don't forget that a fast charge degrades the battery life quicker too.

The company I work for is looking seriously at ABB chargers for Medium Duty Truck and School Bus charging. School buses and delivery trucks have a defined route each day and they park in the fleet yard all night. We advise clients to size the charge stations to a 10 hour recharge. There is no need to upgrade the utility feed to a bus yard to support a fleet of 10 hour chargers. The grid requirements quickly spiral up for fleets.
Very well put!
When I take my PHEV onto a public L2 charger, I can monitor charge rate & time via mobile app.

I notice that the full charge rate is not achieved immediately.
It takes a bit of time to "negotiate" the charge acceptance by the vehicle before full charge rate is accepted.
Then as the battery gets to 50%+, the charge rate slows more and more until it reaches 80% and then trickles to crawl up to 90% then shuts off.
I get charged for the total kWh taken into the car.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
How advanced do we really need, practically you are going to need to stop when driving long distances. Most vehicles today go 300-400 miles on a tank of gas. If I have 500 miles Max range that leaves me about 350 to work with when charging to 80% and stopping at 5-10%. Then if I can charge that back to 80% in 15 minutes or so. Sure that's longer than filling with fuel today but really we should be encouraging people to take breaks when driving.
We're pretty close to having this today, the weight and cost just need reduced to where you can have enough battery for that range and be at the same weight as an ice vehicle and at the same cost. One good part of this will be as you reduce weight, less energy will be needed to travel the same distance.

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
How advanced do we really need, practically you are going to need to stop when driving long distances. Most vehicles today go 300-400 miles on a tank of gas. If I have 500 miles Max range that leaves me about 350 to work with when charging to 80% and stopping at 5-10%. Then if I can charge that back to 80% in 15 minutes or so. Sure that's longer than filling with fuel today but really we should be encouraging people to take breaks when driving.
We're pretty close to having this today, the weight and cost just need reduced to where you can have enough battery for that range and be at the same weight as an ice vehicle and at the same cost. One good part of this will be as you reduce weight, less energy will be needed to travel the same distance.
the other thing to note is that once critical amount of infrastructure is in place, it would be very costly to upgrade chargers. I doubt Tesla would upgrade its supercharger network to higher capability anytime soon.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
the other thing to note is that once critical amount of infrastructure is in place, it would be very costly to upgrade chargers. I doubt Tesla would upgrade its supercharger network to higher capability anytime soon.
What? Tesla is constantly upgrading their chargers. Their early SuperCharger units were 150 kW, but it was part of an A/B pair, so if you were the only one on the pair you could get 150, but if another car hooked up (inconsiderate :) ) then it would split 75/75. Then V2 came out which was also 150, but I think they have some installs of these that don't have the A/B pairing, could be wrong. Now they have V3 which is up to 250kW and no A/B pairing AFAIK.

Anyway, they have upgraded old V1 units to V3, especially in higher traffic areas, and are rolling out V3 in new installs.

The biggest issue with any charger network, supercharge included, is cost of electricity. Most charging networks lose money because if you had to pay real cost of charging it would be much higher in many areas during peak times. This will be improved as more installations rely on solar to offset peak electricity costs and stuff like that, something Tesla is already doing on some V3 installs.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
The only way we hit a dead end on grid capability is if we keep voting for people that won't invest in infrastructure. There is no rule of the universe saying our current grid configuration is the only one we can have. We don't even need to upgrade it for EVs, in general we are using far more electricity now than ever before and should be planning for it. The idea of accepting a poorly performing grid system because "it is what it is" is insanely dumb.

Battery tech is only starting to take off, what we have hit the likely end of is what we can get out of ICE vehicles. They have cranked up compression, improved spark and timing, used computer systems to ensure the engine is adjusted to the exact conditions it needs to produce the most power per explosion, and even then it isn't really improving fuel economy just power for equivalent fuel economy. So we have added turbos and hybrid systems, because we can't get more out of gas vehicles without helping them out. It's a system that I won't be sad to see die off.

FirstFordFirstTruck

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 BMW 750 il
Occupation
Engineer
I want the nuclear fusion powered cars from the fallout games. Then we can stop…

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Mr Fusion

Ford F-150 Lightning New Chargers Can Fully Charge the Lightning in 15 Minutes? wiiy0bvenv4z

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
The Lucid Air Dream is reporting 520 miles of range. Then again its easy to have reported range and not be full production, established manufacturing volumes. Also easier to achieve those range numbers in a sedan than a tall truck.

Its psychological mostly. People always want the biggest number and are driven by fear/range anxiety.

My in-laws topped up the Model 3 LR for 268 miles of range (90%) and went out for the evening for a decent drive to visit friends. They started freaking out on the drive home when they got down to 40 miles of range. I talked them off the ledge and told them to use in vehicle navigation next time and tesla will route them to a charger if its that critical.

In perspective in my FFE I don't freak out until the warning lights in the car come on to say you won't be able to get home with remaining charge, find a plug or turn back now. Even then I don't freak out because I know my vehicle and how to maximize range. Also 40 miles in my FFE is 50-60% of my battery on any given day.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Just what we need...something that makes road construction projects take even longer!

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
What? Tesla is constantly upgrading their chargers. Their early SuperCharger units were 150 kW, but it was part of an A/B pair, so if you were the only one on the pair you could get 150, but if another car hooked up (inconsiderate :) ) then it would split 75/75. Then V2 came out which was also 150, but I think they have some installs of these that don't have the A/B pairing, could be wrong. Now they have V3 which is up to 250kW and no A/B pairing AFAIK.

Anyway, they have upgraded old V1 units to V3, especially in higher traffic areas, and are rolling out V3 in new installs.

The biggest issue with any charger network, supercharge included, is cost of electricity. Most charging networks lose money because if you had to pay real cost of charging it would be much higher in many areas during peak times. This will be improved as more installations rely on solar to offset peak electricity costs and stuff like that, something Tesla is already doing on some V3 installs.
Tesla just recently announced they are upgrading the 250kW chargers to 300kW.
Sponsored