• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

No SunRun in my area, how do I educate my local electrician on what is needed?

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Is there a site that has diagrams/requirements for installing the charger and transfer switch? I was planning on at least getting a quote through SunRun to hook up my included charger (Lariat XR) and potentially the automatic transfer switch and some additional solar capacity. SunRun does not service my state however, so I will be handing the job over to the local sparky that installed my existing solar.

I will probably be one of (if not) the first Lightnings in my state, and also likely the first Ford Power backup system to be installed. Certainly the first by my electrician. I am hoping to point him to some schematics/circuit designs but I have not seen any.

Do they exist? If so, how do we lay hands on them particularly in areas where Ford's chosen partner can not be utilized?
Sponsored

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Getting the HIS as a non-Sunrun customer is looking very problematic short term per other people's experiences :(

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
I had seen getting it EARLY was next to impossible, but I expected it to be delivered with the Truck as it is included with the truck. Is that not the case? My understanding was that the home integration piece was included in the Pro Charger, but if you don't have an automatic transfer switch already, then it is still a manual process to 'cut-over'.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Even getting it from Sun Run is problematic. They came out for pictures and measurements about 3 weeks ago and now it’s crickets…… they might have not liked that I already had a powerwall and Solar ready to go

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I had seen getting it EARLY was next to impossible, but I expected it to be delivered with the Truck as it is included with the truck. Is that not the case? My understanding was that the home integration piece was included in the Pro Charger, but if you don't have an automatic transfer switch already, then it is still a manual process to 'cut-over'.
No, HIS is totally separate and costs several thousand dollars. All you get is the 80amp charger.

Sponsored

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Even getting it from Sun Run is problematic. They came out for pictures and measurements about 3 weeks ago and now it’s crickets…… they might have not liked that I already had a powerwall and Solar ready to go
I just called them because I had the same (no powerwall just Solar) and they claimed their IT system was spitting out incorrect quote numbers and they were working to fix it.

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
The Home Integration System is a seperate entity and as a non-SunRun state, you will need to order it through AEE Express: AEE Express- The online store of AEE Solar, wholesale distributor of solar products and equipment - Sunrun Home Integration System (required to enable Ford Intelligent Backup Power)

The problem is that I believe SunRun is prioritizing SunRun states and specifically their installations that they are doing so us that are out of those states and not having them install it are SOL for now. I have had an order for this piece of electronics since March 25 and my estimated delivery date is November 1st, 2022. I have spoken to them many times and they think it will be sooner than that but will not commit to anything. I have posted on a few other threads that I question whether they even have anything to ship right now that is ready for commercial usage since we have not seen any videos of the actual system, etc... from Ford or SunRun working. Could be vaporware at this point. I would however get your order in sooner rather than later. I have talked to the installer advisors as well about this and they are either clueless (sounds like they hired a lot of new people and set up a new organization to support the activity) or they are not telling the big secret. THey basically just send you to the AEE Express site to order the HIS.

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
So, this is not me but, if you already have solar, and a power wall/battery system, and THAT fails over automatically when the power goes out, you still have to have this AEE Express system to augment your existing capacity with the F-150L? That seems broken to me.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I too am in a non-SunRun served State and, earlier this month, I was trying to find out the conductor sizing for the DC return from the Charger Station Pro to the SunRun HIS BDI. My electrician said installation of the AC connectors were straight forward per the NEC, but the SunRun-provided (via the equipment ordering web page) wiring diagrams were not sufficient for him to bid that portion Of the installatio. The only recommendation he could make is the DC conductors should go in a separate conduit run.

I called SunRun and got nowhere getting any HIS-related install info, so I called the HIS equipment manufacturer Delta directly…they were very helpful. The Delta Support person I talked to confirmed the need for two #8 conductors on the DC return from the EVSE (Charge Station Pro)…finally, an answer! The rep from Delta encouraged that self-installers and installing contractors contact them directly with any technical and/or installation questions.

From their BDI Technical Sheet:

Delta Electronics (Americas), Ltd.
46101 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538

Sales Email: [email protected]
Support Email: [email protected]
Sales Hotline: +1-877-440-5851 or +1-626-369-8021
Support Hotline: +1-877-442-4832
Support (Intl.): +1-626-369-8019
Monday to Friday from 6am to 6pm PST (apart from Holidays)

www.Delta-Americas.com

Hope this info helps……😎

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The only recommendation he could make is the DC conductors should go in a separate conduit run.
Thanks again for doing the homework!

By any chance, did you ask Delta about the a code or manufacturer's requirement for a second conduit for the DC conductors?

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks again for doing the homework!

By any chance, did you ask Delta about the a code or manufacturer's requirement for a second conduit for the DC conductors?
Since the AC comes from your panel, and the DC go to the HIS, it’s probably most practical to run them separately.

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
So, this is not me but, if you already have solar, and a power wall/battery system, and THAT fails over automatically when the power goes out, you still have to have this AEE Express system to augment your existing capacity with the F-150L? That seems broken to me.
No. As long as your existing solar and battery system has a 30 amp input for a generator to recharge the battery during extended power outages (many do, or they at least have a generator input option), you will be able to use the Lightning's onboard generator to recharge your existing solar battery without even using the SunRun equipment. The only difference is it won't have the automatic power failover. You will need to manually plug the Lightning's 240v\30A onboard power outlet in the bed into your solar inverter's 30A generator input. The manual intervention isn't a big deal since your existing solar\battery system already provides an automatic failover that should give you plenty of time to plug in the Lightning if it looks like the power outage will go on for a while.

In summary, your Lightning won't be directly powering your house's essential circuits, it will simply be used to recharge your existing solar battery when the solar panels are not generating enough power to recharge the battery.

Last edited:

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
In summary, your Lightning won't be directly powering your house's essential circuits, it will simply be used to recharge your existing solar battery when the solar panels are not generating enough power to recharge the battery.
Given the issues with the neutral going to generator bypass switches already known, are you sure? Just honestly curious.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
No. As long as your existing solar and battery system has a 30 amp input for a generator to recharge the battery during extended power outages (many do, or they at least have a generator input option), you will be able to use the Lightning's onboard generator to recharge your existing solar battery without even using the SunRun equipment. The only difference is it won't have the automatic power failover. You will need to manually plug the Lightning's 240v\30A onboard power outlet in the bed into your solar inverter's 30A generator input. The manual intervention isn't a big deal since your existing solar\battery system already provides an automatic failover that should give you plenty of time to plug in the Lightning if it looks like the power outage will go on for a while.

Oh, and if your truck tricks your existing system into thinking there is a grid source and you have more solar production than home usage (or stationary battery thinks it should be discharging), you very well might fry your truck inverter electronics. When off grid - things need to be "talking" or you are inviting trouble.

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Oh, and if your truck tricks your existing system into thinking there is a grid source and you have more solar production than home usage (or stationary battery thinks it should be discharging), you very well might fry your truck inverter electronics. When off grid - things need to be "talking" or you are inviting trouble.
A properly installed solar\battery system will protect your truck's onboard power just like it would protect your generator and the rest of your home. I've had a solar\battery system installed for several years and have seen enough power outages to be confident in the solar inverter's ability to decide whether to use the grid, the solar input, the backup generator, or whatever combination it needs to supply the home's critical circuits safely. The inverter provides the same functions as a generator transfer switch and only allows the generator connection to provide input power. It never outputs power to the generator connection. That's how it works

Given the issues with the neutral going to generator bypass switches already known, are you sure? Just honestly curious.
I don't expect any concerns with the generator neutral bonding issue since the critical circuits sub-panel supplied by my existing solar battery system is already isolated from the main power input panel and the truck will only be charging the existing battery that, in turn, is powering the house.

My truck was built this week so I should be able to confirm in a few months whether my planned configuration will work. My solar installer (not Sunrun) also has a Lightning on order so, if there is a flaw to this plan, I'll have a licensed expert to help find a way to make it work.
Sponsored

Last edited: