• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Normal front end behavior?

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So I literally just picked up our F150L and I love the truck, but after just driving my 21 F150 PowerBoost to the lot for the trade in maybe 20 minutes before, I feel there is an interesting behavior when going over bumps.

I don’t feel like the suspension is loose, but I feel like there’s not enough weight in the front end to help with bumps. Also now that the tires are inflated to 42 PSI vs the 35 PSI on the ICE F150, it sounds like the hollow noise of a store bought plastic ball after it bounces coming from the tires. This also could be a normal for 22in rims too, I’m not sure.

I just want to get other options on this as it might be nothing. Plus I only drove the car for 15 miles… lol.
Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
If I understand you correctly, I think my truck behaves the same way. It feels way underdamped and floaty in the front end. Highway bumps such as those you hit when going over an overpass make the suspension oscillate a few times before it settles down. I don't notice the "playground ball" sound in the tires, but I have 20" wheels, also with ~42 psi cold.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I feel like a number of reviewers have noted this behavior so it's likely just part of the driving dynamics...and something I'm really not looking forward to about the truck TBH.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I only drove my dealer’s FCTP for 70 miles, but I agree with your observation.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So I loaded down the front end with some groceries and it was way better. So either we need to keep some weight in the front or just get used to this new driving dynamic of the truck. Especially since the Platinum has different springs and shocks/struts than the other models.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
So I loaded down the front end with some groceries and it was way better. So either we need to keep some weight in the front or just get used to this new driving dynamic of the truck. Especially since the Platinum has different springs and shocks/struts than the other models.
Yes, it does ride better with weight in the frunk.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The Platinum has different springs and struts?

I may replace the springs and struts with something stiffer if there is something out there that's any good. I absolutely hate "floaty" vehicles.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@T i h o r is one of the first members I've read to have provided feedback on new front suspension (Fox 2.0 coilovers). Bilstein also has their 6112 setup. Here is a brief comparison of the two (not Lightning specific):

https://www.shocksurplus.com/pages/bilstein-6112-vs-fox-2-0-performance-coilovers-the-need-to-know

The Fox are linear while the Bilstein are digressive:

https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

I had Bilstein 5100s (a step down from the 6100 series) on my Tacoma years ago and I thought they were lousy for street driving. The truck wasn't floaty, but it wasn't very good over road bumps either. Too crashy. They really encouraged you to drive faster off road, however. I'm thinking for a mostly on-road truck you'd want a more linear damping curve, but I'm no expert. Curious if we have any suspension experts here.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
People have reported the Fox coil over struts helping with the front end bounce. I purchased the shock struts and will transfer over my factory springs to them. The fox coil overs allow you to raise your front end an level the stance as well which is the main reason I ordered them. My truck will be here in the next month to try them out myself.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Interesting…

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
@T i h o r is one of the first members I've read to have provided feedback on new front suspension (Fox 2.0 coilovers). Bilstein also has their 6112 setup. Here is a brief comparison of the two (not Lightning specific):

https://www.shocksurplus.com/pages/bilstein-6112-vs-fox-2-0-performance-coilovers-the-need-to-know

The Fox are linear while the Bilstein are digressive:

https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

I had Bilstein 5100s (a step down from the 6100 series) on my Tacoma years ago and I thought they were lousy for street driving. The truck wasn't floaty, but it wasn't very good over road bumps either. Too crashy. They really encouraged you to drive faster off road, however. I'm thinking for a mostly on-road truck you'd want a more linear damping curve, but I'm no expert. Curious if we have any suspension experts here.

Kind of funny how everyone is talking about raising the front to level the truck whereas i’m thinking about how to lower the rear to level it. :)

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kind of funny how everyone is talking about raising the front to level the truck whereas i’m thinking about how to lower the rear to level it. :)
I'd actually like the same thing (will make loading a motorcycle on ramps easier), but I think we'll be waiting a little while for companies to release rear suspension setups for our unicorn trucks.
Sponsored