• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owners - Do you drive in one pedal mode or traditional ?

Do you drive in one pedal drive mode or traditional?

• Total voters

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I’m new to EVs but I’ve been driving f150s since a teenager . We rented teslas during vacations recently to get used to one pedal mode. I personally love it and I only have an issue when I jump into one of my super duty work trucks and have to forget my newly learned muscle memory .

So I’m wondering , what mode are you driving in and why ?
Sponsored

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I always drive my Mach E in one pedal drive. I'll be driving my Lightning in that as well. Hopefully here in a couple more days I will actually have it. It also saves from having to do brake repairs.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I *do* think it is important to mention here that unlike Tesla Ford does have a blended braking system. You will get regen whether you choose to drive in one pedal OR lightly use the brake pedal. Obviously if you mash the pedal you will engage friction brakes when you pass the limit of max regen, but under normal circumstances you regen with the brake pedal.

It is my understanding with Tesla you have to use One pedal for regen, the brake pedal is strictly friction brakes.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I always drive my Mach E in one pedal drive. I'll be driving my Lightning in that as well. Hopefully here in a couple more days I will actually have it. It also saves from having to do brake repairs.
Same,

My wife hates one pedal though, so I am glad Ford gave the option.

From what I have read online, being a current or former stick shift driver means you are more likely to like / adapt to 1 pedal driving better. It really isn't that different from engine breaking.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Got used to one pedal in my wife’s Tesla. Also had to remember when I got back in my truck to use the brakes 😳. Much easier now switching between the vehicles. Still learning which mode is more efficient in the Lightning when it comes to regen.

Sponsored

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
Same,

My wife hates one pedal though, so I am glad Ford gave the option.

From what I have read online, being a current or former stick shift driver means you are more likely to like / adapt to 1 pedal driving better. It really isn't that different from engine breaking.
She should try to live with for a couple of weeks to get a good feel for how it works and then she might change her mind. It was very weird to me at first, but after a little while I got used to it and it became second nature.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
She should try to live with for a couple of weeks to get a good feel for how it works and then she might change her mind. It was very weird to me at first, but after a little while I got used to it and it became second nature.
I have tried, but she likes it the way she likes it. It is her car!

It flips back and forth with the user profile, so it doesn't really mater anyways.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
+1... Tesla one-pedal driver here, never look back. Of course, manufacturers *can* screw this up by not having good "feathering" of the "go pedal" to represent various amounts of regen, but from what I hear from MME drivers it's not bad. I've heard it's not as good as Tesla's one-pedal blending of go-vs-regen, but very usable.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Many people have done range experiments in my electric motorcycle groups and have found that coasting when off the throttle results in a greater range per charge than allowing regen to engage when off the throttle. As a result many prefer the choice to have regen only engage when actively braking so as to allow coasting in all scenarios where they don't want to slow down rapidly or maintain speed.

When I get my truck, I'll prioritize my decision based first off of comfort and second off of impact on range.

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
I have never had a EV before and was traditional for the first week. After reading a post on brake dust and the benefits of one-pedal I started to try it out more and now I try to do one-pedal the majority of the time. SO I guess I would consider myself one-pedal now, but its only been a week... I do not like when you are driving next to a line of cars that could easily try to change lanes going 30 with my foot on the gas pedal though... It feels off and less safe.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Many people have done range experiments in my electric motorcycle groups and have found that coasting when off the throttle results in a greater range per charge than allowing regen to engage when off the throttle. As a result many prefer the choice to have regen only engage when actively braking so as to allow coasting in all scenarios where they don't want to slow down rapidly or maintain speed.

When I get my truck, I'll prioritize my decision based first off of comfort and second off of impact on range.
Agree, so one-pedal activated in stop and go traffic or otherwise many stop~starts expected. Otherwise off and stopping without mashing brake pedal. Lighting gives a regen score on the braking with every stop FWIW.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0

That observation all depends upon how you brake. If you typically come screaming up to an intersection where you apply the friction brakes hard, regen will be better (because any time friction brakes are used you throw away that energy). If you are the type to let off early and coast until you are slowly rolling at the very end, then it is true that maintaining momentum will save you. Regen in the best cars is only ~75-80% efficient.

I tend to drive my cars harder than others, so regen tends to help me more than no- or low-regen.

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
Like @greenne said, in Traditional you still get some regen when you let off the accelerator at speeds above like 40 maybe. I find the One Pedal to be too aggressive for my typical routes, and actually get pretty consistent regen when letting off and just coasting.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Driving Tesla with one pedal and I wish they can make it click when it is completely neutral so I can cruise - no accelerating (drain battery) and no braking (charging battery), just cruise.

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I have gone full 1-pedal other than potentially on longer highway runs, although most of the time I leave it on there as well. It takes a minute to get used to, but works really well. It will hold the car stopped in traffic without a brake application and does turn on the brake lights.
Sponsored