• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owners - Do you drive in one pedal mode or traditional ?

Do you drive in one pedal drive mode or traditional?

• Total voters

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Yes, I prefer Sport mode rather than 1PD for my distance drives.
Sport mode offers a moderate regen which I prefer.

Urban driving, I still prefer normal mode.

Since I also drive other vehicles that do not have any regen - driving a heavy regen (1PD) is counter intuitive for me, it's a muscle memory issue for me.

Sport mode is awesome for the Lightning - just wish it can stay on everytime I switch her on.
Thanks. That's a real bummer that it switches modes without your input. Is it a single peck on the screen via a shortcut that allows the change or does it take multiple presses? I wonder why Ford does this? Perhaps because sport mode has a significant impact on efficiency? It reminds me of my Pacifica that requires me to turn my vented seats on each time I start it up. Very annoying. Vehicles should memorize your last settings. Constantly undoing forced setting changes makes the driver experience much less appealing .
Sponsored

Hirudin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lancer
I think we have similar driving styles and, like most people, I think my way is the one true "right" way.

In my Polestar I use adaptive cruise control to maintain my speed and adjust my speed to match traffic, the accelerator when I want to accelerate more than ACC will and the brake pedal when I am coming up to a stop. The vast majority of the time I'm driving, my feet and legs are relaxed and at-the-ready to hit either pedal if sudden acceleration is needed/wanted.

When coming to a stop at a light or turn (or whatever) my *goal* is to only use regen to prolong the friction brakes' life, but if it dips over into friction now and then: so be it - I can't imagine the amount of wasted energy is significant enough to really worry about (same goes for the small amount of wear).

Tesla deciding to make the brake pedal in their cars activate only the friction brakes is idiotic and their "one-pedad-driving is most efficient" mantra has annoyingly made its way over to the other EV brands.
I NEVER use one pedal driving because I like to rest my legs as often as I can and use adaptive cruise control and zero pedal driving as much as I can to relieve the stress on my knee.

I also don't like the feeling that the truck will suddenly stop when I release too much pressure too quickly.

I realize one pedal driving gives you the maximum regeneration, but I tend to get 100% from the Brake Coach most of the time, so I never feel like I'm wasting energy.

Last edited:

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Tesla deciding to make the brake pedal in their cars activate only the friction brakes is idiotic and their "one-pedad-driving is most efficient" mantra has annoyingly made its way over to the other EV brands.
On a Tesla, even without 1 pedal driving turned on, any time you remove your foot from the pedal the regen slows down way too aggressively for me.

My Mach-e had a mode called "Whisper", which let the car coast indefinitely when you took your foot off the pedal. That mode probably got the lowest regen power back, but it was a smooth ride.

I think they eliminated that mode in the Lightning because they've got the perfect balance in our normal mode, which we can see from the brake coach numbers.

ukatown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Adaptive cruise and 1PD for life. Not because of efficiency, but because it is a far superior driving experience. Practice, learn your distances, strengthen that shin muscle, and youā€™ll never go back.

FWIW in the Mach-E I use adaptive cruise nearly any time Iā€™m not in a parking lot or my neighborhood 25mph streets. One I turn on to the Main Street at 35mph itā€™s all adaptive cruise for the most part.

Switching over to a ICE rental feels so sketchy between the brakes and lack of instant power.
This is how I feel, too. I don't have ACC on my 2017 Bolt, but I only drove in 1PD mode. I never want another ICE vehicle and hate driving them because of it. As an added bonus, I've put on 167,000 miles and haven't needed new brakes yet.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
My Mach-e had a mode called "Whisper", which let the car coast indefinitely when you took your foot off the pedal. That mode probably got the lowest regen power back, but it was a smooth ride.

I think they eliminated that mode in the Lightning because they've got the perfect balance in our normal mode, which we can see from the brake coach numbers.
Oh wow, I had no idea that the MME had a very subtle, non aggressive regen mode!

I really enjoy the smooth regen as much as possible, so I am now looking forward to my '23 MME being built next month.

As for my Lightning, I do wish Ford did have a whisper mode that had gentle regen because I still can't stand 1PD.

Lightning's 1PD needs to tone down or else have user selectable regen from whisper mode to full 1PD....

Ford F-150 Lightning Owners - Do you drive in one pedal mode or traditional ? Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 8.14.18 AM

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I only turn off one-pedal in snowy conditions. For that, I want my brakes to be instantly doing their ABS pulsing if I want to slow or stop.

Otherwise I wish the one-pedal was even more aggressive if anything.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Oh wow, I had no idea that the MME had a very subtle, non aggressive regen mode!

I really enjoy the smooth regen as much as possible, so I am now looking forward to my '23 MME being built next month.

As for my Lightning, I do wish Ford did have a whisper mode that had gentle regen because I still can't stand 1PD.

Lightning's 1PD needs to tone down or else have user selectable regen from whisper mode to full 1PD....

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 8.14.18 AM.png
Nice! I loved the Mach-E. It's a great cat, but I needed a truck and I can't have both.

As far as I know, when you use the Whisper Mode, the Regen only activates when you hit the pedal.

Basically, when you let go of the pedal, it rolls completely freely indefinitely with absolutely no regen until you hit the brake. I used that mode quite a bit.

There's no Brake Coach in that mode, but braking should still push at least some power back as long as it's not sudden.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
I have never had a EV before and was traditional for the first week. After reading a post on brake dust and the benefits of one-pedal I started to try it out more and now I try to do one-pedal the majority of the time. SO I guess I would consider myself one-pedal now, but its only been a week... I do not like when you are driving next to a line of cars that could easily try to change lanes going 30 with my foot on the gas pedal though... It feels off and less safe.
I do almost all my driving w Blue Cruise and my foot off both pedals. So when I need to brake there is no difference from 2PD. But when just coasting to a stop, then I pause Blue cruise from steering wheel button w my foot lightly on accelerator to feather the stop and draw out the regen. So best of both modes = Lightning Strikes!

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
I only turn off one-pedal in snowy conditions. For that, I want my brakes to be instantly doing their ABS pulsing if I want to slow or stop.

Otherwise I wish the one-pedal was even more aggressive if anything.
Iā€™m with you on wishing for more regen. (Not to mention more cow bellā€¦..) šŸ¤£

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 8.14.18 AM.png
Note: Whisper mode in the MME, with 1PD turned off, has less regen then our normal mode without 1PD. It is basically the same as putting an ICE vehicle in neutral.

And you and I will continue to disagree about 1PD. Currently you can have as little regen as you want by modulating the accelerator pedal, but the maximum is hard limited (not sure if hardware or software). I would like the max, fully off pedal, regen to be somewhere around the traction limit of the tires. :LOL:. That way you don't need to use the brake pedal even for emergency stops.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Note: Whisper mode in the MME, with 1PD turned off, has less regen then our normal mode without 1PD. It is basically the same as putting an ICE vehicle in neutral.

And you and I will continue to disagree about 1PD. Currently you can have as little regen as you want by modulating the accelerator pedal, but the maximum is hard limited (not sure if hardware or software). I would like the max, fully off pedal, regen to be somewhere around the traction limit of the tires. :LOL:. That way you don't need to use the brake pedal even for emergency stops.
Thanks for the tip on the MME Tom!
I'll have to find out as my MME is being built this week and delivered next month.

As for the 1PD in our Lightnings - yes agree to disagree - driving in bumper to bumper traffic (urban Los Angeles), modulating the accelerator does not work - I have to constantly jump on the brakes because of idiots who like to cut it close both sides & in front.

Even the 1PD regen is not enough to stop / halt abruptly in urban jungle traffic...

If I lived in rural or no traffic area, yes I can modulate the accelerator as others have.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'll have to find out as my MME is being built this week..

As for the 1PD in our Lightnings - yes agree to disagree - driving in bumper to bumper traffic (urban Los Angeles), modulating the accelerator does not work - I have to constantly jump on the brakes because of idiots who like to cut it close both sides & in front.

Even the 1PD regen is not enough to stop / halt abruptly in urban jungle traffic...

If I lived in rural or no traffic area, yes I can modulate the accelerator as others have.
Right! That is why I want more regen!

Farmford42

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 Bronco
Occupation
Farmer
I really want one pedal in off road mode, on my farm that would be a really nice ability. I also want to be able to have a couple options on the one pedal, aggressive, medium, light so you can pick how hard it slows down.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Right! That is why I want more regen!
:LOL:
And I want adjustable regen levels selectable for 1PD.

The current regen is so heavy that when I jump on the brakes, I get a lurch that feels like car sickness for everyone in the truck...

For me, I'd like a light regen coupled with braking for my driving style.

So in the meantime, I leave it in normal mode and use the brakes as I need (all the time).

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Ordinarily I like one-pedal driving, but Iā€™m finding myself using the traditional approach in the Lightning. I find that itā€™s tuned very nicely, whereas some other German coasting systems seem to pull forward endlessly in coast mode. I found that to be smooth, but unnatural feeling. Whether it be accelerating, braking, or coasting, the Lightning is a smooth operator.

Itā€™s great to have OPTIONS. I really believe every EV should have a one pedal choice.
Sponsored